Home

Officially worth £47 and 65 Pence

HerbieZ

Well Ladies and Germs, im broke. Im officially worth 47 quid and i have no job whatsoever after being sacked from the lovely family supermarket Somerfield... Im a college student and i have exactly til about June when i leave college and find myself a new job aka weekday, 9 til 5, poodoo hits the fan, etc. Personally i see it as a waste of time getting a sunday job now because il only be leaving it in about 10 sundays anyway to look for a full time job.

The job thing is the big question though, i have no idea whatsoever what job to get. Im crap with numbers and i don't like dealing with customers/humans face to face. (Im one of those don't look me in the eye people) I thought about joining the GM Police but id probably pass out and die from the fitness test.

Please someone tell me they are worth less than me so i can feel slightly royal, humble and possibly do a small dance on my computer chair to celebrate.

How come you have a computer then?

Anyway, like Darth InSidious suggested: try writing (Huh... It isn't such a bad idea, now that I think about it). Maybe you could be a painter also (Painter as in drawer, mind you). Perhaps you could help in distributing books or help a Television station in getting things done. That's all I could think of for now.

Please someone tell me they are worth less than me so i can feel slightly royal, humble and possibly do a small dance on my computer chair to celebrate.

I don't know how can I help you here, but I am worth about 500 dinars. Or 4,16 pounds or 7,69 dollars.

This could have all been fixed if your parents set'd up a tuition plan for you, you might not have been broke. since i'm not in college right now(still in High School :/) i have around $500...about 50 in my wallet and about 454 or something in my "bank" (all for a car XD)

why don't you become a janitor taking night shifts and during the day, become a security Guard. OR, just suck it up and be a Cashier person or a waiter, or get fit and become a cop.

what happened to all your money? tuition? bought too mcuh stuff? too much food? too many dates paid for? what?

Im a college student and i have exactly til about June when i leave college and find myself a new job
If I may inquire... I assume by "leaving college" you mean graduating? If so, what's your major? Might have a better chance getting a job in that field.

Also, while you still have the "luxury" of the college's facilities... make those counselors earn their pay.. hehehe.. See if there are any job listings near their offices or even the school's cafeteria/commisaries.

I know that where I work, we're always going to colleges for career fairs and "drafting" purposes ;)

Since you're not a people-person (can't say that I blame you).. check to see if there are any large Call Centers hiring (Insurance, TV, etc.). Yeah, it's dealing with customers, but at least you don't have to look at them :xp: Plus many cc's pay quite well (JTV's does at least)....

Other than that, I can't think of too much to suggest. Following your field of specializing is going to be your best bet, but without wanting to deal with humans that much.. I'd suggest Video Editing :lol: We like to hide in dark edit suites and hiss at people that come too near ;)

yeah **** those bastards. i hate it too sometimes. at walmart, people ask the most ****ing stupid questions. see, i work in the photo dept, and some idiot comes up and says 'where are the baby gates' times like that when i wish i knew a different language.

i dunno, if u don't like customers try warehouse factories and industrial jobs. i worked at a factory that packaged listerine bottles for walmart, that was fun and the pay was more than i'm making now dealing with assholes. -_- that was through a temp agency though.

If I may inquire... I assume by "leaving college" you mean graduating? If so, what's your major? Might have a better chance getting a job in that field.

College in england. I just do ICT and Film Studies there but i have to leave this year as ive been there 3 years now and the government have decided to stop paying for my education because im almost 19. I think it's just a case of waiting for college to finish and get that out of the way. I live at home at the moment so luckily my parents keep a flow of credits for my computer :D so woo.

What do you all mean by writing? I know i can't draw to save my life but writing? What do i write?

HerbieZ.... firstly, dont devalue yourself just because you dont have heaps of $$$ (and face it, at 19 not many of us did!) Also, be thankful you have supportive parents and a roof over your head. I was 24 when I had to leave home due to various difficult circumstances. I rarely see my parents to this day. I lived on friends couches for a while as I finished uni, before moving in with my current partner(that was 6 years ago). Now I have my own house, car, cat etc... so if I can do it, anyone can :violin:

Finish your schooling, that is paramount. I think you should go speak to a careers counsellor rather than asking a bunch of internet strangers :(

also, the army is always an option. Build some muscles, shoot a gun, sound like fun !!??

mtfbwya

Success is not measured by wealth.

Comparing yourself to others is only natural, but not the way of true self evaluation.

"The consciousness of self is the greatest hinderance to the proper execution of all physical action." Bruce Lee.

I don't know what he meant but, it just sounds really profound. :)

What *I* think he meant is that sitting there thinking about your future is less productive that doing something about your future.

Remember, do or do not, there is no try...

may the force be with you

what happened to all your money? tuition? bought too mcuh stuff? too much food? too many dates paid for? what?

Dates paid for? LOL if only...

I dunno really, i never had alot of money anyway, i have just been to Amsterdam and spent £200 and went to a Sci-Fi convention and spent roughly another £200 so i think that's where it went. I think i wrote this thread just to clarify a few things. I mean, like a few people have mentioned, i have actually been to a careers advisor but they didn't really understand what i wanted to do because i have no idea myself so there wasn't much to go on.

Im just feeling really low at the moment. So much college work and people discussing what jobs they are doing after college onboard Cruise Liners, working for NASA etc etc. I feel more comfortable talking about all this to "a bunch of internet strangers" because i know your just normal people like me or who have possibly been in my position. It's better than talking to some person whos job it is and they try to milk you for clues as to what job i like. For example: "I farted about 5 minutes ago, hmm have you considered working for the British Gas"

Damn why the hell can't i be a Jedi on this planet. Oh and i looked on QVC.co.uk to see if they needed any more presenters but i don't think they do... :(

@Herbie: Articles. Books, comment columns on current affairs. Anything for anyone who'll pay you to do it. Any local newspapers? If so, try sending a few articles, making enquiries, etc. You never know, you might get something out of them. But don't forget not to sell yourself short if you do apply :)

I'm a practical gal, so I'm not going to talk theory here.

Right now, find _any_ kind of work, even if it's only Sundays for now. If you're a good worker, they'll maybe hire you on for more hours once school is done. I worked all throughout my college years, and some jobs were better than others. However, I learned something from each of them, even when I worked as a beginning cashier at McDonald's.

People skills are a gift for some lucky people. The rest of us mere mortals have to learn people skills, and good people skills are worth far more than many people give them credit for. The library (it's free!!) has plenty of info on how to improve that skill. Dale Carnegie is a good author to start with. The material can be a bit outdated, but the concepts aren't. BTW, I know a number of police officers, and the good ones all have very good people skills. Talking someone down is much safer than pulling out a gun to use on them when they get ticked off at you and decide to attack.

We also aren't born with good money management skills--those are also learned. Again, the library has some great stuff. Suze Orman came out with a book not too long ago called 'The Money Book for the Young, Fabulous, and Broke'. I like her stuff a lot, my husband can't stand her disgustingly cheery non-stop happy attitude on TV.

There are lots of good career-search books out there, too. If you can't get a job in your field, you'll have to find something else, and it may as well be something that you a. like and b. can do well at. The military can be a good option for many people to build some skills, earn work experience, and learn more about themselves than they ever thought they would know, all while getting paid. That is one situation where you definitely get out what you put into it--if you work hard, you can go far, but if you don't feel like doing more than the bare minimum requirements, you won't get much out of it, either.

It's not all about the stuff we have in life that's important. There were plenty of times when I was in college where I wondered where the next meal was going to come from, and when you're in that situation, yes, it is tough, and yes, it is easy to get jealous of the guys who are born into wealth and never have to work. However, while I was really poor in college, I still generally had a good time. I decided to be creative about my hobbies, spend time with my friends, and just not worry about the fact that I'm not Donald Trump and never will be. So what if I don't own a $100,000 car. I don't have to pay exorbitant taxes or insurance for it, either, or pay through the nose for the extra gas it sucks up. I also don't have to worry about what'll happen to the carpet when my kids accidentally drop french fries on it. You can have all the stuff in the world and still be absolutely miserable.

When I die, people aren't going to eulogize the possessions I had, they're going to talk about the kind of person I was, and I hope to make that a very good thing. Many of the best things in life cost absolutely no money at all. My children's laughter is free, but it's priceless.

Archived