Home

Hillary running for President - opinions?

Dagobahn Eagle

OK, so Hillary Clinton wants to run for President. I think - I know - that women can do just as well in politics as men, but does anyone disagree?

This thread is not really about the politics of Hillary Clinton, but rather on whether or not it's a good thing that a woman is given the position of President or Prime Minister in a nation.

I don't really think it matters whether the person who runs the country is male or female. The politics & policies that person believes in are what really matters.

When it comes to women running the US, I'd vote for Condi Rice in a heartbeat, but I hope with all that is in me that Hillary Clinton never sits the White House.

God no.

I would find it very difficult voting for her, given her stance on video games, flag burning, and the whole "plantation" thing. And polls show that the American people wouldn't elect her. The democrats really need to make sure that she doesn't become their candidate in 2008. If they don't then they're screwed.

I'd have to hope that the republicans put out someone I could vote for, like McCain or someone else not in the neo-con catagory...

No.

I like playing/programming video games, and her views dictate that if/when I get into the game industry I'll have to friggin' make Disney games until I retire.

I'd point out that Disney based games can be pretty good...

Mickey's Magical Quest for SNES was fun, as was Toy Story for Genesis.

Then there's Kingdom Hearts.

I think there are some women who would make a fine President of the United States of America (no pun intended). However I don't count Hillary Rodham Clinton as one of them. Arizona currently has a female governor, Janet Napolitano, and although I haven't liked all her decisions I don't think she is a total bust by any stretch. I've heard talk that she may be thinking of taking a crack at the 2008 Dem presidential nomination. But that's still down the road a fair bit so we'll just have to wait and see who comes out as king/queen of the hill in the primaries.

I think that a woman can do it as well as a man can do. Look Germany, Angela Merkel is doing it quite well, and Shroeder had left her the country quite bad. Also if a woman can be a minister or a gobernor she also can be prime minister as Margaret Tatcher.

Aside from politics, I don´t see the sex could make difference, other thing is if the people is ready to accept it (I hope yes), or if other politicians don´t feel their territory invaded.

I'm not a big Hilary fan, but i do think it would be a big step for the US to elect a female president.. and probably a good thing. Not as big a step as it once would have been, but even so...

Almost every country in the world has had a female leader except the USA. I wonder if that is down to the strong religious base in the US and their love of the traditional family unit.

Its notable that every US presidents wife has been a stereotyplical "little lady at home" and, apart from a few charity appearances, avoided ever expressing an opinion of her own.

Except of course - Hilary Clinton. Even well before Clinton got into office she was being vilified for daring to express an opinion of her own.. a quite extraordinary site to see. And weirdly she seemed most vilified by women. It was almost as if the republicans hated her far more than Bill.

I never had much of a problem with what she said while Bill was in office, and might have been on her side due to sympathy for all that stick she got. But some of the thngs she's said since launching her own political career have been pretty stupid. So she's lost my sympathy.

But i do think that having a women president would be an important psychological step for the US, and might filter through into more subconcious equality in the long term.

Condi seems competent, its just i don't agree with any of her policies. I'd prefer Powell or McCain.

PS/ Today is international women's day so ->

Fun women's fact of the day: 1% of all titled land in the world is owned by women.

I'd prefer Powell or McCain.

I think I'd vote for a Powell/ McCain ticket, especially if they ever ran together.

Hillary running is hardly a surprise shocker. we all knew it was coming. I hope she does well.

I think she's going to have a very rough time of it, however.

Except of course - Hilary Clinton. Even well before Clinton got into office she was being vilified for daring to express an opinion of her own.. a quite extraordinary site to see. And weirdly she seemed most vilified by women. It was almost as if the republicans hated her far more than Bill.

Personally, I've never heard of Hillary being vilified for expressing an opinion...I've heard her vilified numerous times for expressing very liberal opinions, though. Nearly all of the vilification of Hillary I've heard from the right has been about her policies (most of the rest have to do with the irritating screech of her voice when she gets worked up during speeches).

Personally, I've never heard of Hillary being vilified for expressing an opinion

I've heard her vilified numerous times for expressing very liberal opinions, though.

Uhhhh, why exactly is it not considered expressing an opinion if that opinion is very liberal?

From what I've heard, she wasn't vilified for being a first lady who expressed an opinion...she was vilified because people disagreed with the opinions she expressed.

I don't think anyone was saying "Get rid of this uppity first lady! She's asserting herself!"

On the other hand, disagreeing with the opinions she expressed is known as debate, or valid criticism.

You know, Rudy Giuliani would also be a great choice (for me at least) for the republicans. He's very popular among republicans, more popular than even McCain. Which is strange, because Giuliani seems to be more of a moderate to me.

I think the republican party has some great candidates, it's just that the party has been hijacked by the neo-cons (or the "Schiavo Wing" as one person described them).

• 1 month later...

Archived