Home

How much memory?

Rogue15

I've got a dell dimension 4700 and when i had cable galaxies ran pretty decent on the highest settings available. except the loading times were annoying...5+ minutes sometimes to use a damn shuttle.

Now i've got 56k, hopefully getting cable this summer like the cable company said it would be available....so galaxies is currently updating the game (its got about 100 hours to go..) and I've got 512 ddr pc3200 ram i think its split up into 256's tho...haven't opened the case yet...

so-should i buy a gig or just 512 more? or should i go further and get 2 gigs?

Couple things, disable pre-world loading in the game options when you initially startup SWG. That saves a great deal of time for loading. Next 1 Gig of memory in total is more than enough. SWG and you other minor programs you run should only use up to about 75% of that. The biggest thing is your Gfx card. 126mg is the least you should be running on your card, but as with most things if you can get more a 256mg Gfx card would be best.

yeah my card is a 128mb radeon x300 pci-e...gonna upgrade that after the ram tho, as the ram seems more important.
If you want maximum performance from that computer, first make sure it is capable of running dual channel, if it is, you'll have to get matched ram, in other words 2 sticks of exactly the same ram. Second other than your internet connection, you video card is definately the bottleneck here, pick up a 6600 GT today, best bang for you buck.

• 3 weeks later...

i used to have cable and the game basically ran the same as it does now, only i notice some lag, but that's normal. when i had cable it was like the same framerates, so i definetely want the ram just to be sure....also i am using aol.

got the ram, makes the game run a whole lot faster, at least 75% faster in major areas like theed, mos eisely, kadaara, space....and load times are pretty quick as well. i was actually able to fight back against a theed starport griefer (lost tho since he was level 90 and im only 80).....

Archived