Home

Galactic Civilizations 2: Dread Lords

ActofWar

As you have properbly gathered this is about this game called "Galactic Civilizations 2: Dread Lords", which to me seems to have turned up from no where.

Ive been trying to find some more infomation about this game, but carn't seem to find out much, even on the games main web site (see below)

http://www.galciv2.com/

But i was hoping that if anyone here knows much about it. Any info would be greatly appresated.

Wow! Not long ago I also discovered this game and I have been wondering exactly the same thing as you! I am happy to see someone has posted about it. And you are right, it does seem to have just turned up from no where.

If this is sort of like civillization but in space I may be interested.

It's a sequel(obviously) to it's predecessor. I owned the original and it was a very good, allthough nothing like Imperium Galactica. I've got GalCiv2 and it's a giant improvement. There was SOME news released across little bits of sites but nt alot to my knowledge.

IGN has a pretty decent review. Just search for "Galactic Civilizations 2", go to the normal one and click on the 1st review. 4 pages of info for ya.

I have the game so what do you exactly want to know ?

So far I can tell you this :

- Turn per Turn game

- Full research

- Full customization of your ships

- Battles are calculated but you can observ them as a movie (You are the Emperor not the admiral)

- Full diplomacy

- Espionage system is awsome (all you have to do is to allocate the money and it will give you random results)

- There is a senate

- You have alignment. Based on it you have malus/bonus

- Trade routes must be established if you want to boost your economy

- Learning curve is pretty quick

- Replaybility is huge

- 10 Races in all

- Dev team support is grate, you always have expansion packs for free once you buy the game

- Once the game is installed there is no copy protection stuff but in order to have access to updates you need valid serial number and you need to register your game.

- When you purchase the game there is an option to download it while you are waiting for your CD to be shipped.

As I said earlier go to http://www.galciv2.com site and purchase the game there. You will have the download+shipping CD option. Once you have the serial you can downloald the update and the colector edition.

Why the game is cheap ? Well maybe because there is no expense on marketing, because game can be downloaded and money is saved on manual and production part and because there is no big publisher behind such as EA which is rising the price.

But the game is worth of 35 $ that is for sure.

As I said earlier go to http://www.galciv2.com site and purchase the game there. You will have the download+shipping CD option. Once you have the serial you can downloald the update and the colector edition.

Why the game is cheap ? Well maybe because there is no expense on marketing, because game can be downloaded and money is saved on manual and production part and because there is no big publisher behind such as EA which is rising the price.

But the game is worth of 35 $ that is for sure.

What does that have to do with why i can't find the original in stores and what i asked? I'm not going to buy it online and pay more money...Online its $45.00! plus shipping no way. I might as well buy the CE in stores cheaper and better then the original.

First off thanks to everyone, who has left a message on this topic!

From what ppl are saying (exspally Orao) is sounds like an Improved verison of "Star Trek Birth of the Federation".

Orao, if you don't mind could you give me more details on three of the points you mentioned please:-

Full customization of your ships

Full diplomacy

And

There is a senate

Thanks

I remember playing GalCiv I, but I was comparing it to Master of Orion at the time. I really wish there was a demo for GalCiv II.

ActofWar: From what I assume, you can build your ships from the gorund up (select parts you want, ect, and I think what it'll look like as well). That's all I know.

Sure no problem.

Full ship customization :

The gam comes with the ship builder. Hulls are unlcoed with research and each hull has a limited number of hardpoints. Each element will cost you in hard points. For exemple medium hull has 26 hardpoints and warp drive cost you 4 hard points. You can improve the space taken by components by doing some research.

Other than that you have elements which will cost you 0 hard points but they are there for cosmetic purpose exclusevly meaning that you you can have virtually limiless number of ship designes. You are only limited by your imagination.

shipdesign.jpg

new-11.JPG

Full diplomacy :

You can negociate alliance peace war or even trade technologies and give or ask money. During game you can build some precious goods in the galaxy which will give you exclusyv monopol over them. Those goods will give you bonus in different areas.

Talkingmeat.jpg

Senate :

At the begining your own civilization is the Empire. However this dosen't give you any bonus. So you will research other forms of the governement. You have Republic, Galactic Democracy and Star Federation. Each type of gvt gives you more bonuses but and ther is always but, you have the parties. You have populists, war party, universalists and so on. Depending on your own party and on which party is the winner during elections you will have either bonus or malus during senats mandate.

However if your party is the winning party during elections you will have all bonuses granted by your political allignement plus gvt type bonus.

customize.jpg

I decided to break down and get Dread Lords. It's pretty cool. I'm a big fan of the Master of Orion games, so GalCiv2 is some good stuff. I think I'm playing with the shipyard more than the actual game...

The survey ship: ENTERPRISE!

survey.gif

My trading ship:

trader.gif

And my Troopship:

trooperlander.gif

Now to build some awesome Battlecruisers! Maybe I'll make a Battlestar.

I owned also GalCiv I and remembered it not that bad, except that I had some bugs. Like those Master of Orion, Imp.Galactica stuff too, but Master of Orion 3 was crap.

The thing with building/customizing own ships sounds good, think that also was on the old "Ascendancy", which has a great sound too, I just loved that music!

Did I get that right, that Spacebattles aren't controlled ??? That's a bit pitty, or not?

Archived