Home

Rebel Campaign to hard (help please)

I should like to have some strategic help on Rebel campaign. cause it goes straigh to h....l for me :sithk:

Im in the area around mission five:imperial liberation.

Im about to free the wookies from there prison on Kashyyyk

1.I suspect i have been to lacey building defense and other structures?, i have not upgraded all my planets space stations yet, and not even build on all planets(only some)

should i have done that? and should i create a space station on every planet? and should i have barracks and factorys on all planets. to this date i have seen this, like i don't need barracks on all planets cause i can create troops at 1 planet then send the troops to other planets. and built alot of defence and mining facilities on moost planets,should i or should i not use this tactic?

2.how many ship shall i have in orbit over each planet? i have no idea

I have followed the misson goal directley and not conquer planets by myself,so Calamari and Kuat i have not conquer yet on mission 5. is it to late? (yes you will read down here why its to late?)

My problem is the dam empire have allready conquer Kashyyyk with a big strikeforce that is impossible to break (7 big stardestoyers and moore). and created a level 3 Spacestation. i have planes of raiding the planet. but the empire is not satisfied with Kashyyyk and send this fleet (7 big stardestoyers and moore) directley after conquering Kashyyyk to my nearest planet. before i have a chance to to anything (i mean 10 sec!)

so i dont have time to raid Kashyyyk due to that, and will that matter if i conquer it cause this unstopable empire fleet move from planet to planet and destroy everything i have buildt,

can somebody give me some advice what i should be equiped with to be able to beat (7 big stardestoyers and moore). to me it seem impossible right now. doesnt matter how big fleet defence i have in orbit in thoose planets thei are being crushed.

I find the time is to short between thei conquering my planet..untill you here this anoying voice "enemy fleet approaching" again :blast5: i have no time to replace the ships i loost i previous space battle

3.i can't fire the ion cannon in space battle,why? (placed it on the current conflict planet)

And why can't i retreat from a space battle? it counts down and then gets canceled by its self? even if i dont have hit any other button.

this post was to long, however i hope someone can see some oweview problem i have made in my campaign.

i have read the campaign wallktrough on this page but i still want to have soome advice please :ears1:

Same problem..i liberate solo an wookis but after that a big came and took most of my planets....i mannage to build a counter strike force of mk II and a few fighters that scaped but it lasted for a few turns them after a few atacks/conterattacks i became too weak and crush....anoying restart and try to conque every world before going to the nest mision.... :king1:

I'm in the exact same place in the Rebel campaign right now.

1.I suspect i have been to lacey building defense and other structures?, i have not upgraded all my planets space stations yet, and not even build on all planets(only some)

should i have done that? and should i create a space station on every planet? and should i have barracks and factorys on all planets. to this date i have seen this, like i don't need barracks on all planets cause i can create troops at 1 planet then send the troops to other planets. and built alot of defence and mining facilities on moost planets,should i or should i not use this tactic?

You need a space station orbiting all planets, the highest level you can get for all of them. (1) To defend front-line planets, and (2) to have production facilities on all others, as this makes it fast to generate a fleet; building one ship on each planet is a lot faster than building a queue of them on one. With a high enough level space station (at this point in the game, they're as high as level 4), you don't need other ships in orbit except on the front-lines, and even then it's debatable.

2.how many ship shall i have in orbit over each planet? i have no idea

Although it's not really necessary to have any ships in orbit beside a high-level space station in order to successfully defend the planet, it's advisable to have at least a couple orbiting your front line planets (i.e., the planets within jump range from planets not held by you).

Example: As I said, I'm in the same place in the rebel campaign as you are. Before I take Kashyyyk, I'm going to take all other available planets (as I always do) in order to maximize my resources and population cap. And I have a nice tech 3-level attack fleet, with about 8-10 Assault Frigates, about a dozen Nebulons, between 15 and 20 Corellian Corvettes, and around 10 Y-Wing squadrons.

Problem: Although I'm being plenty aggressive in my play style (I built up my attack fleet fast, a few ships on each of my planets to create them as fast as possible), right now I'm in a seemingly endless loop of Imperial assaults on Kuat. Maybe they have a grudge that it's the first planet I took from them, and since it means something to them in the campaign. My attack fleet in next door, at Alderaan, and every time I finish a battle to defend Kuat, before I can get my mouse pointer over to drag my fleet from Alderaan to Kuat, I get another "enemy fleet approaching" message and am right back in another space battle. I'll get my fleet over there shortly (at which point they'll probably attack Alderaan instead :( ), but this has taught me something: I can defend the planet just fine with no fleet at all there, just my level 4 space station. It starts me with its garrison of one Nebulon, two corvettes and some X-Wing and Y-Wing squadrons, and then regenerates them over and over and over. The enemy has a pretty big fleet every time - each battle I'm getting hit with 6-8 Acclamators, 12-16 Broadsides and a few Tartans - but oddly, they're not running up to my space station. The Acclamators sit back and protect the Broadsides while they fire their long range missiles at it. A seemingly decent strategy, but since those inaccurate missiles don't consistently hit my space station, it loses hardly any shield or health. This means it can make new garrison ships at leisure. I win every time by giving it a couple of minutes to generate all its garrison ships, then I mass them all and throw them at the nearest enemy ships, out to the upper left of the map. After 5-10 waves like this, and after some reinforcing by the enemy, I can outlast them and win the battle (after all, they have a finite supply of ships, while mine's infinite). And then I go back to the galactic screen, and then I immediately get another "enemy fleet approaching" warning. All I need is one lucky click, though, and my attack fleet will be at Kuat. :)

A weird problem, and annoying, but not untenable. Evidence, though, that although with patience you can defend a planet quite well with only a level-4 space station, having a few extra ships stationed there may "convince" the enemy not to attack it so readily.

I have followed the misson goal directley and not conquer planets by myself,so Calamari and Kuat i have not conquer yet on mission 5. is it to late? (yes you will read down here why its to late?)

It's not too late, but a good rule of thumb (in my opinion) is to ALWAYS take over all planets available to you before taking the mission planet, for the reason I described before. The earlier in the campaign you attack a planet, the less defended it'll be. At this point, you're probably going to have a good bit of trouble taking Kuat and Mon Cal. But it's still doable.

My problem is the dam empire have allready conquer Kashyyyk with a big strikeforce that is impossible to break (7 big stardestoyers and moore). and created a level 3 Spacestation. i have planes of raiding the planet. but the empire is not satisfied with Kashyyyk and send this fleet (7 big stardestoyers and moore) directley after conquering Kashyyyk to my nearest planet. before i have a chance to to anything (i mean 10 sec!)

I feel for you, with my similar problem at Kuat.

By the way, what tech level are you? You should be level 3 by now. If you're still at 2, send C3PO and R2 to the nearest enemy planet to steal all available technology until your tech level goes up. This will open up Assault Frigates and Correlian Gunships to you, and the all-important level-4 space station on planets that can support it (beats level-3 space stations by one Nebulon frigate and one more Corellian Corvette in the garrison).

so i dont have time to raid Kashyyyk due to that, and will that matter if i conquer it cause this unstopable empire fleet move from planet to planet and destroy everything i have buildt,

can somebody give me some advice what i should be equiped with to be able to beat (7 big stardestoyers and moore). to me it seem impossible right now. doesnt matter how big fleet defence i have in orbit in thoose planets thei are being crushed.

I find the time is to short between thei conquering my planet..untill you here this anoying voice "enemy fleet approaching" again :blast5: i have no time to replace the ships i loost i previous space battle

The Empire isn't sending Star Destroyers at you. Not at this point in the campaign. (Although I'm playing on "medium". You might get ISDs on "hard" at this point in the campaign; not sure.) Those are Acclamators, and maybe some Victorys. If you were getting 7+ Star Destroyers over and over, you'd have trouble surviving even at tech level-5.

(1) Make space stations at all your planets, and make the best one's possible at each planet. As I said before, a high-level space station and its garrison can defend itself well in many cases. But on your front line planets, add a few more ships to orbit. I but a couple of frigates (either Assault Frigates or Nebulons) plus a couple of Corellian Corvettes. This bolsters the garrison of a level-3 or -4 space station nicely. On non-front line planets, have no other ships in orbit, but DO have the best space stations for the production facilities.

(2) Steal technologies with your droids every time possible. This'll keep you up with the Empire.

(3) Build units to deal with the specific threats you're facing. Here are my recommendations, based on my own experience. Note that some of these conflict with the counters specified on the "Rebel Tactical Comparison" card that comes with the game. Also note that these recommendations are for tech level-3 units, so one one should be saying "why not use a Mon Cal Cruiser?"

---Tie Fighters and Tie Bombers: Corellian Corvettes make short work of these. I just drive a few into a mass of enemy fighters and bombers, and they clean house. Be careful not to get them too close to enemy capital ships, though, or they'll be destroyed quickly.

---Tartan Cruisers: The Corellian Corvette is also a good match for these, although Nebulon-Bs and Assault Frigate MkIIs are better.

---Broadside Cruisers: You need speed to get all the way across the map quickly, before their missiles can decimate you. I like the pervasive Corellian Corvette for this as well...they can boost engine power to speed out to the Broadsides, and when they arrive they can beat down the Broadsides quite well, especially if you have a few Corellian Corvettes focusing on one Broadside at a time, and then walking across the map to clear them all out. Again, a Nebulon or Assault Frigate would do better armament-wise against any enemy corvette, but speed is essential for dealing with Broadsides since they sit back and fire missiles from so far away, and your bigger ships are just too slow.

---Acclamator and Victory frigates: Use Y-Wings, Nebulon-Bs and Assault Frigate MkIIs. The Nebulon-B isn't an "official" counter for the Acclamator, but I've found that 2-or-more to 1 it works quite well, and 2+ to 1 ratios aren't unusual in a space battle. I usually focus on one ship at a time when micromanaging space battles. I love going around with three or four Corellian Corvettes, for instance, and systematically wiping out a dozen or more Broadsides, one at a time.

Example: A Nebulon-B vs. an Acclamator one-on-one = a dead Nebulon-B. But 4 of them can kill one Acclamator quickly, and live on to take out another, and maybe another. This is how weaker ships can be used to achieve almost 1:1 kill ratios against much more powerful ships. If I lose four Nebulon-Bs, but used them to kill three or four Acclamators, I'll won't feel bad about it at all. :)

Very Important: Concentration Of Fire. Taking out a couple of big enemy ships and leaving four other healthy ones is better than having six partly-damaged enemy ships. Also, if you can lure them one at a time near your level-4 space station, it'll decimate them with its laser cannons, proton torpedoes and concussion missiles, while your frigates join in with their own.

My favorite Rebel space units for dealing with almost any situation at tech level-3: Corellian Corvettes, Y-Wing bombers, and either Nebulon-B frigates or Assault Frigate MkIIs. The last two I alternate between, depending on my mood. The Assault Frigate is more powerful, but seems more fragile.

I try to stick to three unit types to deal with almost any situation, especially since most situations are unknown until you're in the fray. Same goes for ground assaults, although I'm finding a need to use four unit types quite often: Infantry (for capturing and for enemy infantry suppression), Plex Soldiers (make short work of almost any vehicle, building, and turrets except anti-infantry ones), MPTL artillery (long-range suppression for troops and small vehicles) and T2-B tanks (speed, speed, speed...and great for 1-unit sacrifices to target bombing runs). :) Anyway, back into space...

And note that Y-Wings are going to be a primary capital ship killer throughout the game for anything frigate-or-larger, along with the Mon Cal cruiser which you'll hopefully have in time to counter battle groups of Imperial Star Destroyers.

Notice that I haven't even mentioned X-Wing fighters. It seems a travesty for me to not love the "hero" ship of the Star Wars movies. Maybe it's my play style, but I find that a Corellian Corvette (which takes 2 population slots) is more than twice as effective as a one-slot X-Wing squadron, just as fast and much more versatile. The corvette cuts through enemy fighters and bombers very quickly, and can also attack other corvettes nicely too (something the X-Wings just aren't effective doing). I'll use the garrisoned X-Wings, of course, but I don't produce any myself and never take any into a battle. The only ones I really anticipate using in this campaign are Red Squadron (to kill the Death Star).

(4) Be aggressive. Don't wait too long to fortify each of your planets. Use the basics I specify above for defending planets, then build an attack fleet as fast as possible by spreading out production across all your planets at once. When you tech-up, you'll be replacing part of your fleet with better ships. Again, do this as fast as possible using all your planets. Once you have even a decent attack fleet, throw it at the enemy.

Rule of thumb for most real-time strategy games: THE BEST DEFENSE IS A GOOD OFFENSE. The more you sit back and build, the more your enemy is preparing to take it all from you. Build the minimum necessary to keep your planets, always pay attention to where your front line is on the galactic map and move up surplus ships accordingly, build your attack fleet FAST and use it often. An enemy on the defensive isn't going to attack you as aggresively.

3.i can't fire the ion cannon in space battle,why? (placed it on the current conflict planet)
I think it fires automatically during a space battle, as often as it can. I haven't use them myself more than once or twice (out of curiosity), though, relying on my space station and its garrison for space defense, and using all my ground slots for production facilities and mining. I don't put much into defense anywhere in the game. An ion cannon on the ground is one less heavy factory in which I can produce MPTL artillery and lay waste to the enemy in land battles, for instance.

I always think offensively, and I often recommend the same to other people.

And why can't i retreat from a space battle? it counts down and then gets canceled by its self? even if i dont have hit any other button.

This I don't know. Maybe sometimes the Rebellion can't (or won't) retreat? I've only retreated a couple of times, and both were in the Empire campaign.

About the Ion Cannon: There is a column of buttons just to the right of the mini-map on the bottom control bar. The top one of these buttons controls the ion cannon. Assuming you have an ion cannon built on the planet's surface, you should be able to fire the ion cannon whenever the button is not darkened. The ion cannon naturally has a recharge timer, like nearly everything in this game.

I personally don't like the reb campaign. Or the reb playstile, that is. Empire for the win.

However, I had the same problems, it was just hopeless. I also thought the ai was a bit cheap here. Well, beeing cheap is something the campaign makes very easy for you.

In the first few missions, at some point just capture everything you can besides the mission critical planet. Build up your forces and defenses. Put gamespeed on fast and go grab something to drink, go read a bit, call your girlfriend, whatever. Come back and see big $$$. Accomplish mission goal. Defeat all empire space forces with your new pimped up forces, capture a few planets, get a few mines. Blockade what you don't capture (a single y or x will do here). Again Imp is a sitting duck. Mess around a bit, build more, get more money.

From there on things should start looking rather too easy, if anything.

Well, I'm not saying it's the best or most heroish way of doing things... But I don't feel too bad about it, even though I consider this strat cheating. We are playing against an AI that doesn't feel to bad about cheating it's a$$ off, too...

After completing both campaigns, I like the Empire better in space and the Rebellion better on the ground.

The Empire gets bigger ships earlier, and I like playing with big ships. Although the Rebellion has the best big ship of all, in the campaign you don't get it 'til the very end. With the Empire it seems like you get the Victory, quite a decent "big" ship, very soon in the tech tree based on its capabilities. It's a tech level 2 ship, whereas the slightly smaller Assault Frigate MkII is a tech level 3 ship.

And for ground assaults with the Rebellion, most of the units are more robust 1:1 compared to the Empire. I know this is why you generally get less of them, but I prefer it that way...fewer, stronger units rather than more, weaker ones.

And then you've got this little trick on your side: Select one of your MPTL spotter drones and use his sensor ping ability to find the enemy target you're looking for (power generator, heavy factory, etc.), then once the drone has it lit up from all the way across the map, call in a bombing run. Now that's just wrong. When I discovered this I was dumbfounded. I killed the enemy's shield generator, turbo-lasers and factories before I even left the reinforcement point I landed on. Before I even hotkeyed my units into groups. Wrong, I say.

Yes, it takes a minute or two for the first bombing run to "charge up", but when I discovered this ability I was doodling around a little longer than usual right after landing. And once I discovered it, I realized it's well worth the wait for that first bombing run to become available.

What's even close to an Imperial equivalent of this? A sacrificial scout trooper? Not nearly as fast or easy. And you lose a unit in the process. And if he dies before he even gets there, or just before you can click the bombing run button, you have to do it all over again. And he has to scout around the map manually, trying to pass by lesser - although still armed and dangerous - enemy targets that can take him out. Sensor pings last a fixed amount of time and require no unit anywhere near the site of the bombing run; makes it a piece of cake.

They need to take that away. It's a huge advantage for the Alliance. "I'm gonna land, step off my transport and blow up half your sh*t before I even roll away from the reinforcement point."

:smash:

The Empire isn't sending Star Destroyers at you

A little correction, youre' most right. it was not Star Destroyer yet, lets say i was using a summary word for "little bigger ships" :)

Im used to practice the good old C&C tactics in this type of games = building in myself and isolate :lock::clap2: but as you say, it might not be the most clewer thing to do here.

Im not used to this new system to have control over so many bases of operations at one time in strategy, it make me feel stressed,but i have no problems with the ground battles in EAW :twogun:

however i think with a little time i might get use to this game.

Thanks for all adviced. im gonna have them in mind next time.

Actually you only need to defend planets within jump range from an enemy (or pirate) planet. If the planet is surrounded by "uncharted" planets (i.e., they have the grid pattern), or if the planet's behind my front lines, then I only leave a highest-possible level space station in orbit and at least a barracks and light factory on the ground (see below).

Select a planet, then look at the circle around it. Only charted planets within - or just on the edge of - that circle can possibly attack the planet, AND planets on a hyperspace route connected to it can attack it as well. Think of it a bit like the old board game "Risk"...pay attention to where you can be attacked and where you cannot, then focus your forces accordingly.

I only fortify planets that can be reached by my enemy. Mid-game it's usually one or two each of Corellian Corvettes and Nebulon-Bs (plus the station's garrison, of course), or more if it becomes a "trouble spot" (gets attacked often). At tech 3 I'll replace Nebulons with Assault Frigates.

On the ground I never leave any troops on any planet, EXCEPT on a planet I just captured up until the barracks and light factory are built, after which I move them off-world. Once my buildings are there, the garrisoned troops are always able to protect the planet surface. Here's what I build on the ground with the Alliance based on the number of slots available...

2 : Barracks, Light Factory

3 : Barracks, Light Factory, Mine

4 : Barracks, Light Factory, Heavy Factory, Mine

5 : Barracks, Officer Academy, Light Factory, Heavy Factory, Shield Generator

6 : Barracks, Officer Academy, Light Factory, Heavy Factory, Shield Generator, Turbolaser Towers

7 : Barracks, Officer Academy, Light Factory, Heavy Factory, Shield Generator, Turbolaser Towers, Mine

8 : Barracks, Officer Academy, Infiltrator Academy, Light Factory, Heavy Factory, Shield Generator, Turbolaser Towers, Mine

...and on one of the planets where it's allowed, I'll build a Hutt palace so I can hire bounty hunters to kill enemy heroes. My Empire build priority is the same, just replace "Infiltrator Academy" with "Advanced Factory".

With this mix of buildings on any planet, my garrisons alone are almost always able to defend it, and easily if I have a heavy factory present (for artillery).

The best part: Not leaving any units behind my front lines means that much stronger of an assault force. :)

edit: Switched priority of shield generators and turbolaser towers in build lists.

I just used to capture what I can, defend it to the max and steal all tach I can, before moving on to the mission planet. I only used a limited ground force of 10 tanks and a few Y-wing squads for bombing run and some plex troops to capture landing zones and build pads. My fleet was about 99% Gunships, just because they can fire through the shields of enemy ships. I used them to take out hangers real fast (but not as fast as Y-Wings though). Also decent against fighters and stuff. They even chew up Victory StarDestroyers and can hold their own against even the mighty ISD. Considering that they only cost a bit. I completely rely on the space station to take out any incoming fleets. Even the one you'll meet later and have to take out got blown to bits near the first station they met on Corellia. Even final battle was way too easy for me, just massed my fleet and with hundreds of gunships their own fleet couldn't do a thing. Most importantly I think you should prepare for your next fase before doing the mission.

Wow, those strats are really useful and should help me alot in my new empire campaign!
Thanks. Since I wrote that, though, I've realized that I value shield generators more than turbolaser towers, so I edited my post to reflect that.

Turbolaser towers are ominous-looking, but the enemy usually takes their time and just sits back with artillery to out-range each one, or sends Plex soldiers (if it's the Rebellion) to stand right next it - where it can't shoot them - and blast it with their rockets. With a shield generator, you've got a better fortified position, behind which you can station your artillery to blast anything that breaches the shield.

My fleet was about 99% Gunships, just because they can fire through the shields of enemy ships. I used them to take out hangers real fast (but not as fast as Y-Wings though). Also decent against fighters and stuff. They even chew up Victory StarDestroyers and can hold their own against even the mighty ISD. Considering that they only cost a bit.
Hmmm, I think I've underestimated gunships. I think I'll try them in my next Rebellion game.

So far I've focused on using just frigates and corvettes. I do love the Corellion Corvette. The things owns enemy fighters/bombers, is very fast, and holds up nicely against Tartans. Maybe a 7:3 mix of Corellian Gunships and Corellian Corvettes? (If I can get the initial fleet load to do that.)

I still don't care for the missile cruisers though. Marauders and Broadsides are just too slow and fragile - more so than their advantage of range offsets.

Hmmm, I think I've underestimated gunships. I think I'll try them in my next Rebellion game.

So far I've focused on using just frigates and corvettes. I do love the Corellion Corvette. The things owns enemy fighters/bombers, is very fast, and holds up nicely against Tartans. Maybe a 7:3 mix of Corellian Gunships and Corellian Corvettes? (If I can get the initial fleet load to do that.)

I still don't care for the missile cruisers though. Marauders and Broadsides are just too slow and fragile - more so than their advantage of range offsets.

I have modded the Marauder and Broadside out of my game, and I made them as usefull as a concrete parachute as well, just for the few you get when starting. Only use they now have is to soak up blasterfire, but they didn't do that very good to start with.

I actually replaced the Corvette and Y-Wing with the gunship, though the gunship doesn't annihilate small stuff as fast as the corvette does, it can take them out quite rapidly, add to that the fact that it's rockets penetrate shields. So you can just blow up the hangar with ease. The few lasers they have aren't worth using, so you don't have to bother taking out the shields first. just go straight for the hangar and weapons. I must admit that it's not as good at this as the Y-Wing, but it's much tougher. Another thing is that it's systems can't be destoyed, so you have to destroy the entire ship. Taken on artillery cruisers quite well as it's special is the engine boost.

Tips on using it;

Target the most valuable systems, don't worry about shields

When shields get low use the engine boost to get out fast

Another advanced tip is timing the last volley to be the destucting volley as is fires untill the system is destoyed (and not untill it has launched enough missles to destroy the system), but you'll need some experience with the damage it does first. That way you have far less wasted rockets/shots and as a result you destroy fleets and the like a bit faster.

• 2 weeks later...

what you need to do is to try and capture other planets, around kashyyk, then you can fortify them and wait until you have enough credits to buy a large fleet. i had the same problem, the way i dealt with it was to, gather up a large fleet, mostly y-wings, i think i had 42 sqauds in the end, and sending my entire space fleet to 1 planet at a time, i didnt bother wasting time after i had conquered that planet to move onto the next, i didnt give the empire any time to move any units and replenish their loses, i just moved on to the next planet, after the ground assualt, after a while the empire removed their huge fleet from the campaign objective planet and i sent a small fleet that i was building elsewhere to the target planet to take it for myself.

2 : Barracks, Light Factory

3 : Barracks, Light Factory, Mine

4 : Barracks, Light Factory, Heavy Factory, Mine

5 : Barracks, Officer Academy, Light Factory, Heavy Factory, Shield Generator

6 : Barracks, Officer Academy, Light Factory, Heavy Factory, Shield Generator, Turbolaser Towers

7 : Barracks, Officer Academy, Light Factory, Heavy Factory, Shield Generator, Turbolaser Towers, Mine

8 : Barracks, Officer Academy, Infiltrator Academy, Light Factory, Heavy Factory, Shield Generator, Turbolaser Towers, Mine

...and on one of the planets where it's allowed, I'll build a Hutt palace so I can hire bounty hunters to kill enemy heroes. My Empire build priority is the same, just replace "Infiltrator Academy" with "Advanced Factory".

where is your ion cannon! or hyperverlocity gun (if you are the empire), those ion cannons rule, imanaged to defend a level 2 space station (on its own,with the fighters that spawn from it) with shots from the ion cannon which disabled the enemies 4 ISD's and 1 acclamator ship

where is your ion cannon! or hyperverlocity gun (if you are the empire), those ion cannons rule, imanaged to defend a level 2 space station (on its own,with the fighters that spawn from it) with shots from the ion cannon which disabled the enemies 4 ISD's and 1 acclamator ship

Very good point. I tried ion cannons and HV guns, and in my first few weeks of playing this game I didn't put as much priority on them as I did on the other buildings in my lists.

But you're right, those structures can definitely turn the tide in a close space battle.

So I'd change my original opinion to "use your personal preference". If you love duking it out only ship-to-ship, and don't want the help of ground-based defenses, then stick with my original lists. But if you want to make use of these quite effective buildings, then you should certainly use them.

For anyone who'd want to use these structures, then I'd recommend replacing "Turbolaser Towers" in my lists with the Ion Cannon for the Rebellion or the Hypervelocity Gun for the Empire.

(As it turns out I don't have as much faith in Turbolaser Towers as I did at first...the enemy seems to see them just fine early on, and sit back out of range with artillery and wipe them out systematically. There are better ways to use those build slots.)

Having Ben Kenobi would have really helped the Rebels on Ground battles.

I learnt the hard way playing the Rebel campaign, before this. I played through medium mode, and I naively followed the mission without conquering planets. In the end, I was threatened from all sides, and even before I had a fleet I was threatened by a few Victory SDs.

So I started a new easy game, and, at the same point of time as my former medium game, I had conquered 100% of the known galaxy (the planets you could travel to).

So I started a new easy game, and, at the same point of time as my former medium game, I had conquered 100% of the known galaxy (the planets you could travel to).

That's the way to do it. And once you've played through the campaign on easy, try games on medium, then hard, then start handicapping yourself manually. For instance, beat down a tech-5 enemy on "hard" with only Acclamators and infantry - THAT'S a fun challenge. :)

I've found that a nice surgical strike can do wonders for the Rebels in space.

Build up one planet to have as many space and land production capability as possible, then bring Mon Mothma to that location to discout all of the costs.

If you encounter an Imperial held planet with a massive defense force like a level 4 or 5 space station, build up an attack force of 25 Y-wing squadrons. When they hyper in, focus on nothing but the station. That will take out the garrison units spawning in all the time. Retreat with whatever is left, then send in a "regular" fleet to mop up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I believe the missile cruisers on both sides are extremly powerful, if not the most powerful units - the presence of a single broadside cruiser literally obliterates any advantage of a space station (besides the first 2 or 3 respawning units), since the attacking player can just comfortably sit back while his cruisers take out the station, forcing the defending player to rush the cruisers if he doesn't wish to be obliterated.

While they are very fragile, they can cause massive damage if protected - you can obliterate the shields of a capital ship (even a Mon Cal with power to shields activated (!) ) within seconds - faster sometimes than the entire rest of your fleet could.

The only thing that effectively counters them is a corvette rush ,but at least as an imp it is not easy to get to the point of attacking the marauder cruisers before being blown up yourself by a neb b.

IMHO artillery units in EAW are far too powerful, exspecially against havier units (Capital ships, walkers and tanks). The role of artillery should be to take out buildings and maybe infantry, not to cause massive damage to about everything except 1-2 counter units.

I find a good strategy for both sides is to get a decent force together very early in the game and attack immediately while the enemies space stations are still weak. Take this force from planet to planet, dont worry about conquering on the ground. This is extremely damaging economically as the computer has to spend big $$$ on rebuilding space stations that you have just turned into space junk. This slows down their tech upgrade (so you dont have to worry about interdictors for a while if your playing as rebels). It takes a bit of coordination to monitor your own contruction and research while commanding the fleet but it puts the enemy on the back foot from the word go.

I found the Rebel Story to be fun, but depressingly easy, even on hard mode.

The thing I found is, the Empire can't launch Raid Fleets, so they can't directly attack planets behind your defensive lines. So, I basically made Yavin my main ground unit production base, made Mon Calamari and Kuat my main starship production bases. I built the best Space Stations on every other planet I could, and covered every planet except Yavin and later in the game Geonosis. This maximizes your daily credit production and basically makes you rich as hell haflway through the game. I had 3 massive fleets by games end, consisting of 2-3 Mon Cal Cruisers, 5-6 Assault frigates, 7-8 Missile Cruisers, 10-20 Corvettes and Gunships, 20-30 Bombers and 20-30 Xwings and A-wings to back em all up. The big difference between the Empire and the Alliance in this game is power vs speed. Imps have more powerful weapons to bring to bear, but you can defeat them with well-timed manuevers and focussed attacks.

In addition, I had one large ground force consisting of 12 Artillery Units, 15 T4-B units, 15 t2-b units, 20 squads of infantry, 20 squads of Plex soldiers, 4 field commanders, 10 Speeder Squadrons and 8 Infiltrators. I found the T4-B tanks to be pretty much the most effective unit in the game. I never had to fight a defensive land battle. The Imps usually did'nt even succeed in winning a space battle and forcing my fleet off an occupied world, and the few times they did I was able to counter attack before they could launch an invasion.

We'll see if this strategy works in the conquest modes.

-CD

Archived