Home

Well seeing as a couple misread what I asked

I have tools like "Kotor Tool" when installed and when trying to open some files comes up with errors like:

When installing the tool "Unable to find application path",

When trying to open a couple files with the tool.

"************** Exception Text **************

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file "C:\dialog.tlk".

File name: "C:\dialog.tlk"

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str)"

When trying to add items to a save in the KSE.

"Error msg: Not an ARRAY reference at kotor_savegame_editor3.3.3 pl line 934" Thats files straight from zips saying the mod is useable in Kotor2, like: "Bodysuit Bastila" at http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=153423.

-------------

I know people that have both installed and do not get these errors...which is most from what I'm seeing.

By the looks of things wih Kotor Tool you havent set the paths correctly. Unless your Kotor install is C:\ you will need to point the tool to the correct folder(s).

With KSE I have had that "error" message before with custom items. Mainly has to do with the icon not being in the main override folder as far as I can see. Just click ok to both pop ups, then click the add button and your item will be added to your inventory.

The locations it's searching are based on your install path for KOTOR 1 or KOTOR 2 or both. If in the managed paths area you tell Kotor Tool that the install path is c:\ and not the actual install location then your going to have these issues. Your install path should be more like c:\program files\lucasarts\swkotor2. The above error is either from a incorrect registry entry within your computer for an install path or from you forcing kotor tools paths to an incorrect location.

No it wanted to look for those files where the file I wished to edit had them when it was created. You do remember these are binary files and not text so they keep a record of things like that. Everything I have is default.

---------

I would like to know why this was moved to "Kotor Tool" forum when all it does is mention one thing in relatence of that as a reference. This thread is in no means directed at, to or about "Kotor Tool". But in the general question of needing both Kotor1 and Kotor2 installed for most mods and tools to function fully and properly. This might sound rash....The mods should read more clearly and thoroughly before arbitrarily and hastily passing judgment. I know mods got a lot of text to shift through, but misreading, misinterrupting, misjudging and plain missing of some of the text can create a bad rep.

I would like to know why this was moved to "Kotor Tool" forum when all it does is mention one thing in relatence of that as a reference. This thread is in no means directed at, to or about "Kotor Tool".

Holowan Labs isn't about Tools anymore that is what the Tools Forums are about. You posted a thread about an error in tool(s), this does not belong in Holowan Labs, it belongs in either the Tools Forum or the KotOR Tool forum.

This might sound rash....The mods should read more clearly and thoroughly before arbitrarily and hastily passing judgment. I know mods got a lot of text to shift through, but misreading, misinterrupting, misjudging and plain missing of some of the text can create a bad rep.

Uh ok? Sorry, but I must disagree with this statement.

If you wish to avoid confusing things happening to your threads/posts you will need to start on your end first. In the future, you need to post any questions clearly as you can, and be sure to keep threads to one basic topic, as well as post them in the appropriate areas, to better avoid these types of 'feelings' on your part. ;)

Since you aren't very clear in your post as I don't see a clear question in there, and it is quite off-topic in Holowan Labs, this thread will need to be either here or in the KotOR Tool Forum.

Since you have somewhat clairified your quite confusing post, I will move it to the Tools Forum being it is about more than KT.

Edit: Moved to the T3-M4's Droid Center...

Back on-topic: Darkkender wrote what I would on the errors you are getting...

The above error is either from a incorrect registry entry within your computer for an install path or from you forcing kotor tools paths to an incorrect location.

That is what the errors you are getting sound like to me as well... perhaps you need to uninstall and re-install TSL.

The main question I intended to ask and even tried my best to point out clearly..but seemingly everyone wanted to over look >.< Mostly due to seeing one or two words then skipping over the rest the of context and taking the whole post as granted meaning by the one or two words.

Shadowraith, please refrain from trying to argue, I did read your cluttered and messy post, you seriously need to keep your attitude to yourself, and move on to the issues at hand. -RH

The question is this: "Do you need Kotor1 and Kotor2 both installed for most mods and tools to work fully and properly." So the base question was fully and totaly over looked. I'm asking because when I stall tools the bring up errors that they can not find paths for needed files from kotor1. Some mod files have errors when opening in a tool stating they can't find their source files. Get errors when trying to load items into a save about not being a listed array. --I am not missing any files here. The only files I'm missing would be from a kotor1 install which I do not have.--

---------

To clear up the issue with the tool, which KT was not the only tool meantioned..there was also a mod meantioned. The fault is not my end as everything is installed to default...I have forgotten how many times I've reinstalled all the tools and kotor2 in the past two weeks. The fault is when you go to edit files like .uti's. Those files keep track of where the source files were installed when they were created. So if you don't have the source files in the same location they become unable to be opened with say KT, with out coping source files to those locations.

The simple answer to your question is, "No. KotOR Tool should work just fine whether you have only KotOR, only TSL or both installed."

Now for some elaboration. First off, looking back to your first post, something that jumps out and really grabs the attention (regardless of the fact that you're convinced none of us read what you have to say) is this bit here:

I have tools like "Kotor Tool" when installed and when trying to open some files comes up with errors like:

When installing the tool "Unable to find application path",

That's a pretty clear indication that it's NOT the fault of the mods you're working with. Something is messed up with YOUR installation(s) and/or path info.

Were I you, I'd try to be a little more exact and specific about the error(s) you get when trying to install the tool. Such as just exactly when it happens and any other additional information you can possibly get. Screen captures can be quite helpful at times.

Second, have you tried managing your path information in the tool itself? That is, open up KotOR Tool, then on the menus select File, then Manage Paths. This will bring up a tabbed box in which you can point it to the root folder for either or both of the KotOR games, as well as telling it where your import, save, external image viewer, and model export folders are.

Lastly, try to bear in mind that folks around here are trying to do their best to help you with your issue. They aren't having the problem, so besides being a bit difficult for them to troubleshoot when given rather limited and somewhat odd-sounding information, it also doesn't do anything for them personally. They're trying to help you, so it's a fairly good idea to make an attempt not to become belligerent or hostile with them. It's not like there's a paycheck in it for anyone. ;)

Cheers,

-Kitty

To clear up the issue with the tool, which KT was not the only tool meantioned..there was also a mod meantioned. The fault is not my end as everything is installed to default...I have forgotten how many times I've reinstalled all the tools and kotor2 in the past two weeks. The fault is when you go to edit files like .uti's. Those files keep track of where the source files were installed when they were created. So if you don't have the source files in the same location they become unable to be opened with say KT, with out coping source files to those locations.

From what I'm reading above this sounds like the exact same question that you now have answered by Redhawke in a different thread. Relating to GFF files of any sort they don't have source files only scripts have source files. That or the 2 file formats that serve different purposes such as "BIF" files which are game resources that we only extract files from and "ERF" files which serve multirole purposes from being data archives for the various texture files to being module information files. If it is either of these last 2 main file types your trying to modify by changing uti files archived within them then your likely to have many more problems.

Archived