Home

Why do some people still play this game unpatched?

Kurgan

I'm curious and I'm not interested in speculation, but rather people who serious feel that the unpatched version of SWBF2 is "superior" and their reasons for thinking this. By choosing not to upgrade to the latest patch (which is free and widely available) they're cutting themself off from more server variety, for example, so one would think they must have some strong reason for not updating, right?

The patch came out about 3 months after release and has been out nearly a month (too little time for it to catch on yet?).

Let's leave aside flaming on this issue, I'm just curious really. I have long speculated it's merely because of some piracy thing (usually pirated versions of games don't work with official patches, unless the pirates release a new version that's been hacked to work with whichever patch), meaning many pirates will be "stuck" with the original version of the game. But surely there must be another reason? These folks are able to play online, indicating they have online capability which means they could download these patches if they wished to. So there's my question...

I never really understood this phenomena with regards to SWBF1 either (though I can see now why non-USA people don't use the 1.3 version more if it is incompatible with their versions, and misinformed people thinking that because it's marked "beta" they shouldn't use it). At least in the case of people refusing to use the Jedi Outcast patches they could claim (legitimately) that the saber combat dynamics were changed and they just didn't like the new changes. But what of this game? Anyway, I'm interested to hear answers from proponents of the "no patch" parties. ;)

3) not competable with my no-dvd patch, and playing it with dvd on a notebook is bad w/o power supply (drains battery way faster).

Interesting problem, though you can't expect LucasArts to support your dvd-crack. The crackers should release a new crack to support the patch, that's not LucasArts' fault (see my comments about the "pirate" issue, heh). So you can't just plug your laptop in? That might be something worth investing in if you play games on your laptop...

So you guys are saying there's specific problems in the patch that weren't in the first version, and this to you makes the original more stable to use, despite fewer servers?

Interesting problem, though you can't expect LucasArts to support your dvd-crack. The crackers should release a new crack to support the patch, that's not LucasArts' fault (see my comments about the "pirate" issue, heh). So you can't just plug your laptop in? That might be something worth investing in if you play games on your laptop...

So you guys are saying there's specific problems in the patch that weren't in the first version, and this to you makes the original more stable to use, despite fewer servers?

well, its not easy trying to plug in on a bus... or in the park during lunch break...

yes, with the patch it seems to be less stable for some reason, and some bugs are still not fixed... oh well.

But yeah, there are more servers for patched versions.

IMHO people not patching are killing the community. Why? Because there seems to be an abundance of 1.1 servers, mostly hosted by clans (like my own), and no one is playing on them. Everyone mentions the bugs but what about the avantages?

The 2 main advantages of the patch:

1. The ability to make and play custom maps. I currenty have a custom map server running -=FA=- Custom Maps and very few play on it. However, more people seem to play on it then our main patched server with no custom maps. Being able to play SWBF1 maps in SWBF2 has been a delight. New Heroes, new locations, multiple captial ships. It's all a bonus.

2. Server administration. The server admin tool has imporved ten fold. Many commands that Kevlar included in his beta version of the Server Manager software have now been implemented. Having more then one admin is actually feasible with a Remote Manager that works.

I would love if people still switched to the new patch. I'm thinking of creating a 1.0 server with the title, "SWITCH TO 1.1 PEOPLE!". I don't know if that will work but it might be something. Pandemic may not squash the bugs but they are extending the game play. It's better then nothing methinks.

Ok my problems with the patch:

1) disappearing crosshair thingy with rifles at times.

2) randomly being booted.

3) not competable with my no-dvd patch, and playing it with dvd on a notebook is bad w/o power supply (drains battery way faster).

acually it does work without a DVD in the drive u just need the right programs to stop SecuROM while allowing BF2 to run.

some doesnt even know theres a patch, some thinks the fixes arent worth updating, some prefer flooding & glitching in the admin-less servers that 1.0 servers are, i asked the question to some people on 1.0 some people said the patch doesnt work and stuff (security module cant be loaded) and stuff like that. Some sucks at the game and prefer to stay at 1.0 because clans on 1.1 are good, so they stay on 1.0 with other noobs.

oh and btw, you can play mod maps on 1.0, cause i did. you dont even need the patch.

in fact the patch is only useful for clan admins that want to ban the team killers glitchers and whatever bad in the game.

some doesnt even know theres a patch, some thinks the fixes arent worth updating, some prefer flooding & glitching in the admin-less servers that 1.0 servers are, i asked the question to some people on 1.0 some people said the patch doesnt work and stuff (security module cant be loaded) and stuff like that. Some sucks at the game and prefer to stay at 1.0 because clans on 1.1 are good, so they stay on 1.0 with other noobs.

True

oh and btw, you can play mod maps on 1.0, cause i did. you dont even need the patch.

Shh, don't tell anyone, make them patch.

in fact the patch is only useful for clan admins that want to ban the team killers glitchers and whatever bad in the game.

True, they may get banned now if they enter any 1.1 servers.

It's all very sad :(

• 11 months later...
ahhhhh see the thing is, cracks, trainers, and things that can affect gameplay only works on 1.0, i upgraded to 1.01 so i can play the maps :), but it dosn't let my trainer work anymore :(

I usually play in Singleplayer mode and I'm peeved that v1.1 won't let me use a trainer. Does anyone know of any SWBFII trainer that actually works for v1.1?

IMHO people not patching are killing the community. Why? Because there seems to be an abundance of 1.1 servers, mostly hosted by clans (like my own), and no one is playing on them. Everyone mentions the bugs but what about the avantages?

The 2 main advantages of the patch:

1. The ability to make and play custom maps. I currenty have a custom map server running -=FA=- Custom Maps and very few play on it. However, more people seem to play on it then our main patched server with no custom maps. Being able to play SWBF1 maps in SWBF2 has been a delight. New Heroes, new locations, multiple captial ships. It's all a bonus.

2. Server administration. The server admin tool has imporved ten fold. Many commands that Kevlar included in his beta version of the Server Manager software have now been implemented. Having more then one admin is actually feasible with a Remote Manager that works.

I would love if people still switched to the new patch. I'm thinking of creating a 1.0 server with the title, "SWITCH TO 1.1 PEOPLE!". I don't know if that will work but it might be something. Pandemic may not squash the bugs but they are extending the game play. It's better then nothing methinks.

I share your same oppinion on this and also Glad to see you posting Kurgan ;) Yes I play battlefront 2 now as well :)

I think that are community is split up now because of people not patching. Im pretty sure are community would be bigger if everyone had to play on the patched version.

The advantages to patches can be endless. Everyone should know when a patch comes out its there to help the people that play the game to enjoy there product by fixxing some glitches, problems and with additions on most games that people get on the pc. Not that this patch offers much but with people not patching it lessens are community of people and enjoyment of playing online.

I also heard from a friend that the patch would not install or work with his copy that he has. Not a pirated version either ;) It could be the copy that the has depending on when he did get it or he is just installing the wrong patch depedning on which version he bought.

For anyone that doesnt know SWBATTLEFRONT.NET provides multiple links for the patch for whatever version that you have. So maybe some of you are installing the wrong type of patch. Just providing some suggestions. ;)

Archived