Home

100 Films that Hype Didn't Help (spoilers allowed)

Tysyacha

We all know there are thousands upon thousands of movies out there,

but I'd like to pick out just 100 that would be better off in the "Clearance"

bin at the local video store. You know the type. Preferably, these are

movies that were "hyped" when they first came out, but then fell flat.

Here's #1, my pick: "Legally Blonde 2", with Reese Witherspoon. Notice

the "2" after the title. The original "Legally Blonde" had some semblance

of freshness and originality, with Elle actually caring about the law

and making a fairly good lawyer at the end of the movie.

The sequel, however, made my eyes pop out of my head in utter horror.

Bruiser is a gay dog? Where the flying hey did THAT idea come from???

Elle's idea to ban animal testing is a good one, but her method sucked.

And, last but not least: "Snaps to Elle's lateral delts." Uh--huh. BWAHA!?

After watching "Walk the Line", a great movie, I could finally erase

this "dog" from my memory. Reese Witherspoon has redeemed herself,

and not only that, she proved herself worthy of Best Actress, 2005!!! :)

Movies that you think look pretty cool, but turn out to drag out hella long and are really boring. Though you keep watching because you think it will get better. But in the end, you just feel sorry for yourself because you just wasted a good couple hours of your life.

-Master and Commander

-Syriana

-AI

Syriana couldn't be overhyped or boring. It was pretty good in my opinion (Can you guess why?). Crash might have been boring at times, but it could depress you at spots, like when that girl ran to save her father from being shot in the head, and the girl was shot, but stayed alive.

You want to know what's overhyped? Brokeback Mountain-Why did this film even get noticed in the first place is a mystery to me. And an even bigger mystery is: Why was it nominated for anything?

Syriana couldn't be overhyped or boring. It was pretty good in my opinion (Can you guess why?).
I can't guess, but I can agree with you. Syriana was good.

Crash might have been boring at times, but it could depress you at spots, like when that girl ran to save her father from being shot in the head, and the girl was shot, but stayed alive.
That's all it takes? The ability to depress you? So if I made a movie of someone clubbing baby seals for two hours would that make it a shoe-in for an Oscar? The scene you described is one of the main reasons I dislike that movie so much. Go look up the word "contrived" in the dictionary. Tell me if there's a synopsis for Crash listed there :)

You want to know what's overhyped? Brokeback Mountain-Why did this film even get noticed in the first place is a mystery to me. And an even bigger mystery is: Why was it nominated for anything?
Have you seen it? Not trying to be smart, just asking.

'Fantastic Four' had the most hype going for it last year, but it really, really sucked.

another nominee would be 'Alexander' of 2004.

as for 'Crash' and 'Brokeback Mountain': i haven't seen 'Crash', and 'Brokeback Mountain' was pretty good. not great, but good.

I disagree with you all about Fantastic 4, I enjoyed the movie pretty well.

As for an overhyped movie... I get pretty lucky with my movie choosing and usually like what I see. I liked King Kong a lot, but I know that movie wasn't as good to the general public as it was supposed to be.

I thought Fantastic Four was okay, but there was no way it could live up to the hype. When you start getting Fantastic Four telephone bills (I'm serious), that is going overboard. Another movie that looked good until you entered the theatre was The Hulk. What a load of crap! Take a nice, simple superhero origin and make it so convoluted that you can't follow it.

I know Im gonna get dissed by the geek-elite but I just have to say it :

Serenity

sure it was "ok", but the way people(especially around here) carried on about it, you'd think it was Gone With The Wind in freakin' space....

Other shyte movies with far too much fan hype/publicty:

*Catwoman

*Aeon Flux

*Dungeons & Dragons hahaha ! *points and laughs*

yeah, take Jessica Alba out of F4 and it would be Fantasic Faeces. Not that she redeemed the fil with her performance, but she is just damn sexeh :D

*Any of those lame sequels =

Cruel Intentions 2

Dusk til Dawn 2 and 3

American Psycho 2

Matrix 2 and 3.

mtfbwya

...as well as Star Wars episodes I and III. AotC wasn't so bad, IMO.

E3 does not suck... NEVER ! Yoda pwning imperial guards is enough to make that film awesome :D Also, E3 was officially promoted far *less* than any of its predecessors.

ah well, you must like crappy teen romance storylines, like, sooo cool, like. :D

mtfbwya

That's all it takes? The ability to depress you? So if I made a movie of someone clubbing baby seals for two hours would that make it a shoe-in for an Oscar? The scene you described is one of the main reasons I dislike that movie so much. Go look up the word "contrived" in the dictionary. Tell me if there's a synopsis for Crash listed there

You have a point there. I agree that Crash wasn't something special, but at least they tried. Oh, well. Everyone has their own tastes.

Have you seen it? Not trying to be smart, just asking.

I've seen it. And my first question after the film was: What's so revolutionary? What is scandalous? What is so contraversial? All I see is a relationship between two cowboys who have random people popping into their lives, not knowing what were they doing with them, themselves. Like for instance, when the first cowboy got divorced, he met a waitress in this bar. They 'danced' and then they somehow started to go around together. 10 minutes later, she walks up to him in a bar and starts talking to him about how women need love and so on and so on, leaving us and him in confusion, asking: "What is she talking about? What happened?" After this, my only hope was left that these two guys might impress me, but my hopes were just shadows of their former light. The film was pretty boring from that point on to me.

I hope I didn't insult someone, but that's what I think. It wasn't so bad, but I believed that Ang Lee could have made it better.

Another movie that looked good until you entered the theatre was The Hulk. What a load of crap!

I agree. The Hulk was one of the worst fillm, I have ever had the chance to watch. Not only did they have very bad acting, but they based the entire story around that how Hulk goes rampant and throws tanks and cars around.

'Troy'

Again, I agree.

I take offense to those nay-sayers that didn't like Fantastic Four. I loved it. The only Marvel film as of late that hasn't lived up to my expectations was.....wait, I don't think there is one! I enjoyed the Hulk, the Punisher (the Tom Jane one, not the one with Dolph Lundgren), and Daredevil was off the chain! When I walked out of the theatre after seeing Daredevil, I kept thinking to myself "Batman is a p**sy."

As for what I think will bomb in the upcoming months, I would have to predict Superman Returns. I hope that I am proved wrong, but I can't help but think that it would have been much better had they waited until Smallville ran its course on TV and then take that storyline to the big screen much the same way that Star Trek was done. That way, they could completely bypass the fatal downfall of superhero films...the explanation of origin...which wastes too much time in a movie. Besides that, Tom Welling and Michael Rosenbaum have portrayed a great image of the main characters not seen in prior offerings.

Archived