Home

Must have mods, maps, etc?

Samduhman

I haven't played Jedi Academy since I finished it a couple years ago. I saw my son playing it and was curious about mods and such. After doing some looking I realized their is a "S" load of them. So out of the hundreds of mods, maps, skins what are the top ones played/used by the general populace. Im sure you have your favorite but Im looking for crowd favorites.

Thanks!

Absolutely NO mod is an actual must-have except those that are dedicated solely to non-gameplay altering bugfixes, provided that you're not in some kind of psychotic niche. And even then, the necessity for such a mod is questionable unless you run a server.

The fact is, if you think that a gameplay-changing mod is required to make the game worth playing, you are playing the wrong game.

Absolutely NO mod is an actual must-have except those that are dedicated solely to non-gameplay altering bugfixes, provided that you're not in some kind of psychotic niche. And even then, the necessity for such a mod is questionable unless you run a server.

The fact is, if you think that a gameplay-changing mod is required to make the game worth playing, you are playing the wrong game.

Ummm, whats your issue? Either we're not on the same wavelength or you need to take a deep breath. I did say I finished the game didn't I. I also played multiplayer for a number of weeks till I moved on. I assumed modders have come up with some neat stuff by now.

All Im asking was what are some of the favored mods/maps that can make the game more enjoyable? That is why there are a ton of mods to begin with correct? To make the game more fun and longer lasting?

in the end there arent that many good mods. there are quite a few good maps, but the mods have generally been detrimental to the game. unfortunately i had to delete alot of my skins to get around a few pure servers that i usually go to

edit: yeh i didnt really answer your question, but its late at night and im sleepy, ill post a few links to good maps later

Well, the primary mods in the community at the moment are JKA+, MovieBattles 2, ForceMod 3, and OJP.

JKA+ is basically general improvements in terms of admin commands, emotes, and a few additional moves. It can be found on all the JKA file servers. This mod is the most popular in terms of available game servers.

Movie Battles 2 (http://www.moviebattles.com) is basically a MAJOR expansion of the Siege gametype, adding much more indepth player classes (with experience building), objectives, and round based deaths. This mod is fairly popular and has a very hardcode fanbase.

ForceMod 3 adds a variety of new force powers and player classes to the FFA game. The nice thing about this mod is that the creator is pretty good about adding "polish" to make the mod look good.

OJP (Open Jedi Project) ojp.jediknight.net is an open source mod that adds a little bit of everything to the JKA game experience. It's main features are some great bugfixes, a completely new MP bot that can play siege, and a competely redesigned saber combat system. I'm the main moder for OJP so I'm a bit bias. :) Admitly, it's not too popular on it's own but we have a couple of OJP groupies that help me develop. Plus, at the moment, OJP is probably the most active mod in development.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Lathain - if you don't like the base game, then mods won't help too much.

That said, you should definitely check out OJP and Movie Battles II - they've been very well maintained.

ForceMod III is a bit unbalanced, but I think it's fun too... =]

OJP (Open Jedi Project) ojp.jediknight.net is an open source mod that adds a little bit of everything to the JKA game experience. It's main features are some great bugfixes, a completely new MP bot that can play siege, and a competely redesigned saber combat system. I'm the main moder for OJP so I'm a bit bias. :) Admitly, it's not too popular on it's own but we have a couple of OJP groupies that help me develop. Plus, at the moment, OJP is probably the most active mod in development.

FYI - You may not hear it enough, but the OJP mod is outstanding! Many of us are always waiting for the next update. The vision you have of this mod is spot on!

Thank you!

Justin

Well arguably you also have "maps" included with mods. No one map is that popular (a startling number of people play Tatooine FFA which is just one of the basejka maps).

But whatever floats your boat.

You can this page here for mods that I recommend and that we sometimes use on our server (or all the time, depends on which mod): http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/downloads.shtml

Archived