Home

Manny's promise

Yohein

Something that dissapointed me a bit about Manny was his behaviour with Nick. I mean, he promises Lola to "fix Nick for good" in a fantastic scene but, later, he leaves him go. Ok, he needed the deal to free Terry and all that, but even though... That scene where Manny punches him is more Nick's victory than Manny's. Nick has the last phrase and Manny is the one who recieves the mockery.

And even later, in year 4, when Nick gets what he deserves, the designers didn't insist very much on that.

So, what do you think about Manny's behaviour? Am I the only one who thinks this? :lol:

I was always a bit dissapointed about how Lola's death played out and how little Manny seemed to care about it. You can say he did realize that the End of the World would give him the greatest payback but it still seemed like Manny brushed it off.

What disappointed me more was that we barely got to see Lola and then she up and died. I would have loved to see more of her.

One of the things I like of the Spanish version of Grim Fandango is the "improvement" in Lola's death scene. I'll try to record an audio file or something to show you what I mean. Manny looks really shocked and sad in that scene. When I saw that scene in English, it was a bit dissapointing...

And thinking again, Glottis "death" scene, in year 3, was quite dissapointing in English too. Glottis is Manny's greatest friend, but even when he "dies", Manny looks really calm down... again, in the Spanish version he looks shocked and angry. I think both scenes are way better in the Spanish version, I'll try to record an audio file.

I never paid much attention to that, but I always thought that Manny was going to "fix Nick up for good", eventually, one day. Maybe after he had found Meche or something. It may be just me, but Manny strikes me as a guy who throws promises around but doesn't fullfil them if he has something more important to do -- in this case, going after Meche.

But yes, I agree, we should have seen more of Lola. Her death would have been a lot more emotional if we had got attached to her as a character. Now she makes me feel like she was just a minor character who died to give the plot some spice and create some puzzles. I hate viewing her that way, but I never got emotionally attached to her.

Nick's death made me a lot sadder than Lola's, but I'm not sure if that's because we got to see quite a lot of him, or because I just love him. :D

I've always seen that as a something that has been eating away at Manny from the inside. He obviously cared greatly for Lola, naming his ship after her and all and i always thought that one of his biggest regrets was not getting Nick back in full. He always sounds so Solemn when he thinks about her.

Even though Lola was a minor character her death was still shocking seeing as we'd seen only one person before being sprouted and that was Don Copal and he got what he deserved; but Lola was trying to do some good for Max by exposing Nick and Olivia; she died well and truly a martyr like Salvador.

Manny however did say "I don't have time to get you for Lola, but I'm sure somebody will" I guess perhaps it was Nick's greed that was his undoing and led him finally into the Gates of Hell?

Archived