Home

Anybody have a better opinion of JA than I do?

RobQel-Droma

I'm sorry to all you fans of JA, but I really was not favorably impressed with the game after I beat it. The plot: yuck. The villians: *gag*. The main character: ugh. In fact, I almost wish they had released it as an expansion to JK2 - After all, it is just called Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (no number), and deals with the conclusion of on of the villians from JO. All right, I know that isn't possible, but I sure wish it was.

I don't think it measured up to "Outcast", but I enjoyed it for what it was. After playing "Academy", it actually improved my "Outcast" play because, IMO, it was easier and I was able to slow down and learn some force power combinations with the amount of Dark Jedi you have to fight.

While the SP experience was cool, honestly the "meat" for me was messing around with all the customization and cheats, and then the multiplayer. If it weren't for OJP, I probably would have quit playing it online, due to all the exploits and bugs which sadly were never fixed.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy some of the mods, Raven Software really went out of their way to see that cool stuff saw the light of day like Asteroids, the map pack, Melee Mod, etc. Even the Ladder was ultimately their doing. Those guys were cool, I miss 'em... LucasArts needs to hire them again!

JO had a much better storyline for the SP. But MP-wise JA kicks JO's a$$. Better fighting, more weapons, new moves and customization all play a major factor. I can;t think of anyone I knew who played JO who thought JA SP was any good. The new people loved it because it was to them what JO was to us: actually getting to use force powers and a lightsaber for the 1st time in a game.

JO had a much better storyline for the SP. But MP-wise JA kicks JO's a$$. Better fighting, more weapons, new moves and customization all play a major factor. I can;t think of anyone I knew who played JO who thought JA SP was any good. The new people loved it because it was to them what JO was to us: actually getting to use force powers and a lightsaber for the 1st time in a game.

JA's MP was horrible. Period.

To be honest I did like the atmosphere, story, and basic mp in JO. This is why I love JA more though:

vehicles, mp siege, absolutely ANYTHING except the core engine can be modded in JA (even the size of the packets you send across the network). JO modding is slightly more limited.

I played JK2 extensively back in the days of 1.02. I didn't play 1.03 at all (was too busy to play at the time), by the time 1.04 came out, I only played a tiny bit and then lost interest. Then JA came out, it grabbed me as an MP game for a much longer time than JK2 (I don't play now again because of lack of time). I agree that JK2's SP storyline was better. I'm a big Katarn fan, so I liked that too. But the overall fun factor and variety of JA was just better. It's not a perfect game by any means, but when it comes down to which game I'll pick up to have some fun, I'll pick JA.

And I agree with Tinny. ;)

I pretty much didn't like anything about the SP part of JA. After you beat it, the only thing it was good for was for messing around with cheats, weapons, and NPcs. The story was pretty weak, you have five missions that don't mean anything in-between 3 real story missions that are mostly the same, then you have Korriban, and the end. And the character is weak too, Jaden's only purpose is to become a Jedi Knight, pretty much. Not to mention the bosses were stupid. Tavion, not even a new character, trying to resurrect a Sith Lord so she could serve him.

And the gameplay was terrible in spots too. Those dark Jedi can counter anything but the lightsaber, whether they push, jump, or dodge it. Once I put a Jedi and dark Jedi on each end of a bridge, then fired a concussion shot at one of them. They kept pushing it back, going so fast that the little push effects didn't even disappear once (which it is impossible for Jaden to push that fast, by the way). And they could do that for ten minutes, with no stop. Even if the dark Jedi weren't looking at you, you couldn't catch them off guard with the disruptor rifle. They wouldn't even see you, yet they were auto dodge (something you do about twice every time through the game).

The only thing I use it now is MP, and playing around with mods.

no Mr Prime

unfortunaly cant play all JK2's SP correct ... :tsk:

but almost can play if I install all of JK2's assets files in JA's base ..

but is really fun !

map load as JA ..

newmission8eb.th.jpg

Kyle got back up by Luke in Doom..

doomlukekyle0zi.th.jpg

even JO's Demo can play too ..

jk2demo18lp.th.jpg

did you ever try ?

Well first you need both games installed (obviously). Take the Jedi Outcast assets pk3's from the base folder (or copy them) and rename them (to prevent conflict with the JA assets pk3's). And put them into (temporarily) your JA base folder (or a mod folder if you prefer, just remember where you put them!). Then all you need to do is start up JA and from the console load up the map names with the map (or devmap) command.

Somebody else can give you specific step by steps with exact file names, but that's essentially how you do it.

Cool. I actually haven't tried it myself since the 1.01 patch, so I don't know how well it works. I thought I remembered hearing some people say that it goofs up some of the cutscenes and scripting and that some parts are easier or harder based on the modified mechanics. I suppose also you wouldn't get to use about half your force powers, and you wouldn't get to upgrade them (since in JK2 they are upgraded automatically), but you could always cheat. Force Seeing would probably make that frustrating part with the snipers on Nar Shaddaa much more tolerable. The ability of the Shadow Troopers to cloak with the predator effect would probably make them more challenging too (though Force Seeing would reveal them I would think).

Since you can do Katas and the enemies can't, that would probably make saber battles a bit easier too I would imagine. Anyway, it's probably worth checking out sometime, I just don't have the week free it would take me to beat the game again at present. Maybe over the summer I could check it out or something.

Ok, I did, started the JA SP, and now I open console and do /devmap kejim_post ?

EDIT: I tried a bit, but the devmap cmd doesn't work in JA, at least not for me. Only helpusobi 1

devmap kejim_post

you can visit here for more info of JO in JA ;)

http://forums.filefront.com/showthread.php?t=91472&page=1&pp=25

and you can use this Mod then more fun

http://www.pcgamemods.com/mod/11972.html

Archived