Home

EaW Expansion - going back in time?

Guest DarthMaulUK

People the arguement is all wrong. Who cares about the time line stuff. Modders can create your Clone Wars or EU stuff for you. Expansions are supose to create things that modders cant like dipolmacy or individual retreat for ships.

Now having said that. Most likely what will happen is that the Expansion will add the clone wars factions and beef up the OT factions to include material from ep 5&6. The whole beyond 6 EU is to unreliable to use. Maybe some of it like tie defenders but mostly not. See most of you think its great but you all have your own view of the EU world so if its not right you will be mad and complain of balance issues, they wont go there. Also what is good enough to include and what is not? To many people with to many ships they would want in. I see them just letting you mod in your own EU ships. Petro will stick to the movie area stuff adding only the most reconizable EU ships in to fill gaps in tech.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What do you exactly mean with an EU x-pack, to me it is too undefined. I consider the EU as a level sort of thing, where as EU stuff has a level value with 1 being closest to the movies and up from there it becomes less canon.

Level 1 EU to me includes stuff like

AT-PT

T1-B

T3-B

Several space units like the VSD and Lancer, just to name a few

On the other hand there's also EU like the ysalamiri and the YV, wich I think neither of belongs in SW. And there's KOTOR wich is entirely unrelated to any of the movies.

If I have to choose between EU and Clone Wars, yes, I prefer EU, everything is set for that.

Besides, it´s not logical to make an expansion about something that happens in the past of the original game.

BTW, your second quote isn´t mine, is wedge2211´s :p

People the arguement is all wrong. Who cares about the time line stuff. Modders can create your Clone Wars or EU stuff for you. Expansions are supose to create things that modders cant like dipolmacy or individual retreat for ships.

Now having said that. Most likely what will happen is that the Expansion will add the clone wars factions and beef up the OT factions to include material from ep 5&6. The whole beyond 6 EU is to unreliable to use. Maybe some of it like tie defenders but mostly not. See most of you think its great but you all have your own view of the EU world so if its not right you will be mad and complain of balance issues, they wont go there. Also what is good enough to include and what is not? To many people with to many ships they would want in. I see them just letting you mod in your own EU ships. Petro will stick to the movie area stuff adding only the most reconizable EU ships in to fill gaps in tech.

Sorry, but I don't think half the people who only saw the movies know who Kyle Katarn is, or Mara Jade. And I honestly don't think they would recognize the Pirate Frigate as being an Action IV Transport.

There is only one view of the EU World: the StarWars Databank EU. If it is in the databank, it most definately happened/existed, etc. If it is in the Databank, it is game for the Empire at War series.

Having said that, I don't think the developers would worry too much about EU right now, as they have the Prequel trilogy to pick from, and Episodes V and VI, and the Clone Wars television series. So, I don't think any EPISODE VI+ Expansions are coming anytime soon, if ever.

I just don't think it'll be as exciting as Clone Wars.

There's only so much excitement that you can have with one major conflict, the Battle of Endor.

Even that was...woah, 15 minutes and it was over.

Whereas...Clone Wars...

(Taken from Wikipedia)

#

* 4.1 Early campaigns

* 4.2 Dark Reaper crisis

* 4.3 Defense of Kamino

* 4.4 Further campaigns

* 4.5 Conquest of Muunilinst

* 4.6 Capture of Mon Calamari

* 4.7 Battle of Dantooine

* 4.8 The defense of Ilum

* 4.9 The Battle of Hypori

# 5 Year two (21 BBY-20 BBY)

* 5.1 Capture of Brentaal IV

* 5.2 Haruun Kal Crisis

* 5.3 The war drags on

* 5.4 Battle of Jabiim

* 5.5 The Battle of Aargonar

* 5.6 Escape from Rattatak

* 5.7 Conquest of Duro

* 5.8 Victory versus Bulwark

# 6 Year three (20 BBY-19 BBY)

* 6.1 MedStar

* 6.2 The devastation of Honoghr

* 6.3 Atrocities of Grievous

* 6.4 Republic terrorism

* 6.5 Victory on Praesitlyn

* 6.6 Dreadnaughts of Rendili

* 6.7 Outer Rim Sieges

# 7 Final campaigns (19 BBY)

* 7.1 The hunt For Darth Sidious

* 7.2 The Battle of Coruscant

* 7.3 The Battle of Utapau

* 7.4 The Battle of Kashyyyk

...): Much more excitement.

AND JEDI. ;D

^^^^

Congrats, you've shown what not thoroughly researching looks like!

Most of the battles you've listed have not appeared in the movies, yet you base the OT battles on a single movie.

There has been several other battles during the OT era, most of them not in the movies, one of them only mentioned by Lando and you forgot Hoth.

So basically, the OT era has lots of battles an excitement. Why is some people wanting a Clone Wars expansion? Probably people who have not grown up with the OT.

Nevertheless, a Clone Wars sequel makes more sense.

Empire at War:

Notice the Empire - not old republic and besides the first E@W campaign is not finished yet like the rebels, 1 DS and you're done there was a 2nd DS so I would like to finish the Episode IV, V, VI first. People can make the Clone Wars mod like IA2.

Yes. Though, you can always change the name. It could be considered a "prequel" game. :p

I'm asking it and I'm 28 so yes I grew up with OT. Nevertheless I find Episode 1 2 and 3 superior to the OT.

Frankly what do you have in Episode 4 5 and 6. A jedi apprentice who in less than 3 years can master the force whereas some jedis spent they life trying it, they mention the senate in the episode 4 but you have no clue what is it, you have a jedi duel (well if you can call it a duel) and at the end you have the Empire's best troops who gets owned by a handful stoneage Ewoks. Not to mention not seing any planet at all except Tatooin, Endor and Yavin4.

The entire Imperial fleet was owned but some pitty rebel fleet which moved directly into the trap.

Those who don't like episode 1 2 and 3 are those who wanted things to be shot otherwise based on the EU.

I'm asking it and I'm 28 so yes I grew up with OT. Nevertheless I find Episode 1 2 and 3 superior to the OT.

Meh, one in a million. I'm sure that if a survey is made, the average age of the OT lover will be greatly superior to the PT lover.

Frankly what do you have in Episode 4 5 and 6. A jedi apprentice who in less than 3 years can master the force whereas some jedis spent they life trying it,

He's Luke Skywalker. Of course he can master it more easily then everyone else. He's the son of Vader remember?

they mention the senate in the episode 4 but you have no clue what is it,

Of course, the mentioning of a Senate must certainly not mean a gathering or regroupment of politicians who form a government. What could it be?

you have a jedi duel (well if you can call it a duel)

1977. 1999.

Yeah...

and at the end you have the Empire's best troops who gets owned by a handful stoneage Ewoks.

Because the Ewoks had to win. Good guys have to win. You know...that's how the story is supposed to end...

Not to mention not seing any planet at all except Tatooin, Endor and Yavin4.

And Hoth and Bespin and Dagobah.

The entire Imperial fleet was owned but some pitty rebel fleet which moved directly into the trap.

The rebels fought more bravely then the Imperials and with the destruction of the Executor, the Rebel got a morale boost while the Imperials saw their doom coming close. There's a good explanation for everything.

Those who don't like episode 1 2 and 3 are those who wanted things to be shot otherwise based on the EU.

I don't think so. Those who don't like the PT as much as the OT are those who grew up watching the old movies and always got that little tingly feeling when they saw the rebels win at the end.

In fact, I speak for myself here, but it was Episode I that got me back into Star Wars. So I never read any EU before the year 2000 and I still prefer the OT.

But we have gone off-topic.

I still don't understand why people want a Clone Wars expansion instead of a full fledged sequel.

Well I don't see the problem in doing both, they can make the Confederacy and Republic larger than the Empire and Alliance at first but they'll also have added the missing units such as Tie Intercepters, B-wings, ect.

OT is alot better than PT and i only seen the movies when i was 6 or 7 on video.I agree with ppl that want to go foward than backwards.Republic vs Confeds wasnt as good as Rebels vs empire.And seeing rebels out smarting the empire and comming out with a victory.Not to mention both PT and OT had only 1, yes 1 major battle.U guys just want PT because it has "better looking units".But they are not better than OT(since they upgraded them).Lets keep upgrading into powerful units, instead of downgrading them ;)

You think The Phantom Menace is superior to The Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars????!! The gungan and the whiny kid who flies in Star Wars NASCAR beat out the full-fledged Dark Lord of the Sith and the classic mythology of the Rebellion and Empire??!

Not to mention not seing any planet at all except Tatooin, Endor and Yavin4.

Why on earth should the number of planets alone determine how good the movie is? Episode I had "only" Tatooine, Naboo, and Coruscant. Plenty of great movies have "only" the planet Earth in them. This is totally irrelevant to the story.

The story is what's most relevant. The prequels are full of plot holes and unbelievable connections, while the original trilogy is a solid piece of cinema. Similarly, the original trilogy universe provides more material and opportunities for a real-time-strategy game. The prequels might be okay if you don't mind having little to no space battles and just having Darth Sidious tell you exactly what to do and when while he magically manipulates the Senate.

The story is what's most relevant. The prequels are full of plot holes and unbelievable connections, while the original trilogy is a solid piece of cinema. Similarly, the original trilogy universe provides more material and opportunities for a real-time-strategy game. The prequels might be okay if you don't mind having little to no space battles and just having Darth Sidious tell you exactly what to do and when while he magically manipulates the Senate.

Not sure what you're talking about here, there were plenty of skirmishes between the Confederacy and the Republic. Maybe not during the events of the Naboo blockade but shortly after the Confederacy was formed, battles erupted all over the galaxy, in space or on the surfaces of planets.

The expansion has to be V-VI. Why? Because the game is set in the time of the OT, so that is the natural progression of the story and makes sense to continue that way.

I don't expect it to happen but I'd also like to see something done with the Thrawn Trilogy. There are plenty of battles, tactics and strategy involved in those books, which provides plenty of material to use for a game like EAW.

Though I'm really glad I'm not the one who has to code the AI to act like Grand Admiral Thrawn.

I really do not want anymore clone wars stuff. Im hoping for an episode V-VI expansion. If they want to do a clone wars expansion then do that later. Im very tired of PT games.

I would enjoy being able to use the Death Star II, B-Wings, Interceptors, SSD's, and all that. But say, if we do go back to clone wars, what do we get?

Battle Droids, Clone troopers, Venator, Seperatists ships. Oh boy. Im sure petro could make it fun, but I would much prefer to see the era of time rarely covered in any Star Wars RTS. Not that there are many Star Wars RTS out there, but you can catch my drift.

Archived