Home

EaW Expansion - going back in time?

Guest DarthMaulUK

I have said it before and i will say it again i do hope they will not make a clone wars expansion.

Reasons:

-Im hoping for an episode V-VI expansion

-I would enjoy getting to use the vehicles from that time period

-It doesn't make sense to go back in time when the game is set few years after Episode III and a few years before episode IV

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have said it before and i will say it again i do hope they will not make a clone wars expansion.

Reasons:

-Im hoping for an episode V-VI expansion

-I would enjoy getting to use the vehicles from that time period

-It doesn't make sense to go back in time when the game is set few years after Episode III and a few years before episode IV

Or they could compromise and do both, it shouldn't be too hard. As I said in a post earlier, they could build the Confederacy and Republic factions from the ground up and have them conceptioned to be larger than the current Alliance and Imperial factions. Afterwards they add the Tie Intercepter, Dark Troopers, Imperial Star Destroyer MKII, ect for the empire and then the B-wing, MC80As, and Carrack Cruiser for the Alliance. Those are just some examples, and this would be able to appease both audiences. The only problem I foresee is units simply being cut out for another expansion. I say they shouldn't hold back and make it to the end with this expansion.

No it wouldn't. It would probably be half-assed and fans will whine about how it sucks.

A Ep. V-VI expansion is the way to go. A Clone Wars sequel should follow.

Why the hell are people so scared of the idea of a sequel? Must you be so impatient?

Not being impatient, simply saying what could be possible if the restraints that were placed on EAW are not placed on any subsequent expansions. It can be done and has been in other games, it would be up to Lucasarts though as they control what makes the cut and what doesn't.

Just thought of this.It says Empire At war, not Republic at war.Theres no reason on going back to PT if there isnt an empire back then.

While what you say makes sense, it has never stopped a company, particularly not one interested in making money. The Starwars franchise is a perfect example of that.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: The Expanded Universe is not its own time period! The term "EU" just means, "anything in the Star Wars universe that wasn't in the movies." So any expansion - heck, the game itself - is, by definition, EU.

Not sure what you're talking about here, there were plenty of skirmishes between the Confederacy and the Republic. Maybe not during the events of the Naboo blockade but shortly after the Confederacy was formed, battles erupted all over the galaxy, in space or on the surfaces of planets.

What I mean is that in the original trilogy, there were two separate, dynamic sides. The Rebellion had its fate on the line so many times that both sides are viable for play in a real-time strategy game. If you win as the Rebels, that's great, you followed the movies. If you win as the Empire, then that would certainly make sense given the situations we see in the movies--the conflicts could easily have gone either way.

However, in the prequels, both "sides" in the war are doing nothing but Darth Sidious' bidding. The Clone Wars were just an excuse to get himself voted emergency powers. (In my opinion, stupidest possible premise for the Clone Wars ever. "Ah, my master plan is to secretly fight a war with myself. Bwahaha!" I had such high hopes...) There can only be one outcome, no matter which side the player chooses and which side wins the campaign: Darth Sidious wins and the Empire rises from the ashes of both Republic and Confederacy. So if you as a real-time strategy player want nothing but to carry out Emperor Palpatine's rise to power, sure, go for the Clone Wars. That time period is much more focused on political intrigue and the Jedi trying to unravel the mysteries of the Sith. Those aspects are much more conducive to an RPG or action-adventure game than a strategy game.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: The Expanded Universe is not its own time period! The term "EU" just means, "anything in the Star Wars universe that wasn't in the movies." So any expansion - heck, the game itself - is, by definition, EU.

What I mean is that in the original trilogy, there were two separate, dynamic sides. The Rebellion had its fate on the line so many times that both sides are viable for play in a real-time strategy game. If you win as the Rebels, that's great, you followed the movies. If you win as the Empire, then that would certainly make sense given the situations we see in the movies--the conflicts could easily have gone either way.

However, in the prequels, both "sides" in the war are doing nothing but Darth Sidious' bidding. The Clone Wars were just an excuse to get himself voted emergency powers. (In my opinion, stupidest possible premise for the Clone Wars ever. "Ah, my master plan is to secretly fight a war with myself. Bwahaha!" I had such high hopes...) There can only be one outcome, no matter which side the player chooses and which side wins the campaign: Darth Sidious wins and the Empire rises from the ashes of both Republic and Confederacy. So if you as a real-time strategy player want nothing but to carry out Emperor Palpatine's rise to power, sure, go for the Clone Wars. That time period is much more focused on political intrigue and the Jedi trying to unravel the mysteries of the Sith. Those aspects are much more conducive to an RPG or action-adventure game than a strategy game.

Good points, and I do agree with you about how the Clone Wars was done. There were so many other conceptions, one thing though is that EAW was originally planned to be an RTS where you could change the events of the galaxy, much like how the Empire *could* defeat the Alliance and then continue into the NJO era where it was believed that the Emperor continued to have a military because he knew of the Vong's coming (This of course isn't the only reason.) Perhaps as the Confederacy, you might make decisions that change the history in that era, and dispose of Palpatine toward's war's end or would you continue to listen to Palpatine's information on Republic movements knowing he intends to betray one for the other? It's just an idea, and I do wish that EAW had followed this since the GC storyline was pretty linear in terms of what you could do. There should be events outside of the main plot.

l find going back to the kotor era is an good idea because you would have jedi like troopers and you could have two expansion packs for clonewars and kotor era.Besides they are expansions you can do any of them its like patches but better and l would like to go to kamino :blubeam:

I think that if they made a KOTOR era expansion it should be from the beginning of the mandalorian wars to the end of KOTOR 1 sort of. Meaning that you win by defeating both of the other guys. No KOTOR 2 as the K1 war was over by then. One wierd thing that would happen with a KOTOR RTS that goes all the way untill somewhat after K1 is that you need most of the game's heroes twice. A LS and DS counterpart. I don't like seeing Revan fighting against me when playing the Sith as I think Revan must be leading the Sith. Also a lot would have to be made up. Only 1 Sith ship is hardly enough to make a fleet. 2 republic ships won't make a fleet either. I also thin that the Republic should be renamed to the Jedi. That way Republic is still open to the Republic from the movies.

Also wedge has a point about the EU not being a timeframe. KOTOR is EU and the NJO rubbish is EU as well. At the same time there's movie related EU such as Force Commander. As an option EU needs to be more specific.

The Clone wars may have been controlled by Sidious, but at any given time Tyrannus could have turned on his master. I think Tyrannus would have the support of the seperatists not Sidious.

About LIAYD's question I'm not really scared of a sequel, but I don't have enough faith in the devs to actually add something new when going to do the rest of the movies. I only have the game because I can won it. And I also think that an expansion is a lot cheaper than a sequel.

I think it makes perfect sense to develop alone the Episode V - VI timelines. Sure, if you go for Clone Wars you can have fancy dancing lightsaber wiedling Jedi who accidentaly hack half their men to death. But everythign is allready in place for an Episode V - VI expansion. Map sizes would have to be increased substantialy so that they matched normal RTS maps for space mind, so that the Executor(and any other possible SSDs, assuming multiple will be permitted)will fit in.

The game is called Empire at War, not My Secret War With my Evil Brother Me: A Biography of the Emperor Volume - MM...and while I'm sure the latter would be a hit in the 501st Legion, it makes perfect sense to continue with whats allready in the game and release a Clone Wars sequel.

Blizzard's expansion for Warcraft III carried on from the original game for both plot reasons and because it's an Expansion Pack, not a Total Conversion.

Besides...that Venator gives me lag like Armageddon had come and gone...

Not being impatient, simply saying what could be possible if the restraints that were placed on EAW are not placed on any subsequent expansions. It can be done and has been in other games, it would be up to Lucasarts though as they control what makes the cut and what doesn't.

No one ever said it can't be done, if you read our posts you would see that some of us believe it would make sense with the timeline to go with V and IV and that some of us like those episodes better. Also can you stop quoting every single persons posts that are directed to you, or just in general.

As it stands here's how I look at it:

Clone Wars -> Almost Guarenteed Big Profits, target audiance is teenagers.

Epsiode V (possibly VI) -> Possible Big Profits - So So Profits, target audiance is hardcore fans.

KOTOR -> If marketed well, big profits, target audiance KOTOR fans. Though, who said anything about kotor :D I don't like the idea of this one personally.

Like I said, I want the Original trilogy. I agree with whoever said (sorry I cant find the quote) that clone wars fans are made up of teenagers who go from one hit to anouther. But that's not to say that some teenagers actually are sick of clone wars. The original trilogy fans are really the ones that enjoy the story of star wars and not just the action. We want to see something nicely done and well put together.

Except that you would need major modifications to the engine to correctly represent the PT ground battles.

I thought about this. Look at Rome: Total War. The original game is about the beginning of the Empire. The expansion focuses on the end of Rome.

It's still about the same Empire. They didn't shift focus to the Greek/Persian war of the 6th century BC.

• 2 weeks later...

You mean to tell me you guys would rather play with boring clonve troopers over Admiral Thrawn.. What about the Chiss? I cant wait till I can play with a Sun Crusher or Galaxy Gun. Also.. who would NOT want to fight as or against the Yuuzhan Vong?

Archived