Home

Hmmm, yeah... So!

Jem

Oh yeah, still alive and kickin'. Just extremely busy with life and all. I've been avoiding computers in favour of other activities. :)

How's everyone? Oh, edlib, I did end up reading the Hitchhicker's books like you recommended me too. I read them a while back before seeing the movie. Who was the character you said I reminded you of again?

Actually, I only read the first book.

"The Ruler of the Universe"

He's appears at the end of the 2nd book.

Oh by the way... did I mention I met Yngwie Malmsteen? No?

Well, I did. He was loud. I have a couple of picks.

Joe Satriani and Eric Johnson are playing next month. Should be interesting.

Wicked! I saw Yngwie along with Vai and Satriani during their last G3. Two summers ago, I think. I have an Yngwie pick too! I had to stomp some hands in order to get it! Satriani was a huge dissapointment though, he's not much of a showman like Vai and Yngwie. Vai is always an awesome entertainer! Something Satriano lacks a lot. Yngwie looks like a lion on stage. Actually, he looks like that lion in The Wizard of Oz.

Man oh man, I have not done any serious playing in a very long time! Too long! I started giving free private lessons to try and get back into it (and because I like sharing knoweldge) but I ended up being too busy to do it on a regular basis.

One of the last concerts I've been to was 3 weeks ago. Jazz Piano Concert with Makoto Takenaka. I loved his Jazzlassic. I loved every bit of his concert really. It was one of those rare concerts were the artist clears your mind, grabs your soul and all you can hear is the music and your heart beat. Yeah, I know, sounds hoaky... but hey... hadn't felt that in a LONG time.

His an assistant professor at Berklee. Maybe you know him?

Oh, and I'm planning on moving to Boston next year, so if everything goes well (hopefully!!), we'll have to jam. ;)

...Makoto Takenaka. His an assistant professor at Berklee. Maybe you know him?

Oh, and I'm planning on moving to Boston next year, so if everything goes well (hopefully!!), we'll have to jam. ;)

I can't say I know him, though I've heard the name... our paths just haven't crossed yet. That's happening more and more these days as the school continues to expand and hire more people. It's almost twice as big now as it was when I was a student. And that wasn't that long ago.

When you get to Boston, let me know!

What are you planning on doing here? More school, or work?

More school! Gotta become a master! :D

Maybe work afterwards, but not for long, I dunno, we'll see. Right now I'm only certain that I want to study there and I can't stand living in Canada anymore (4 years living in the same country is more than enough for me, time to pack'em bags). Or maybe work a year and then school. We'll see!

As for that Jazz Pianist, hear him out if you ever get a chance to. :)

I have one of his CDs, recorded at Berklee Studio. I'm aware of how big Berklee can be but, just for fun, let's see if you know any of the guys who worked on this recording:

Recording Engineer: Mark Wessel

Editor: Jeff Baust

Assistant Engineer: Sasha Yates

Piano: Makoto Takenaka

Drums: Robert Kaufman

Bass: Jim Stinnett

I think I know everybody on those credits, but him.

Actually, come to think of it: I may very well know him... by sight... just not by name.

Well, be sure to look me up when you get here. And if you ever want to see a concert at Berklee, let me know. I can can get you in... I know someone who works there. ;)

What school you think you'll be attending?

Man, I would hate the fact that going to concerts would just be a blur from my day to day work, doesn't it suck? I mean, I love to fully enjoy every concert I get to go to, let it be big or small. Unless it's really bad, happened once.

It's just like any job... you get jaded after a while. You can't help it. Could be my favorite musicians in the world... a part of me will still think: "Just another day on the job."

I never go to concerts for the fun of it anymore; at this point my attitude is pretty much: if I'm not getting paid to be there, I'm staying away. Really doesn't matter who it is...

Still... a bad day at my job is still better than a good day at most people's... and I still can have a lot of fun at work, and often do. Plus, I can dress like a slob and nobody ever says anything.

But the romance of the whole thing wore off for me a long time ago... let me tell you.

Archived