Home

Regarding the supposed canonical lack of hangars on rebel ships..

Gam

Untrue! As far as the movies go, at least Mon Cal cruisers DEFINITELY have hangars.. the Millenium Falcon and several other rebel fighters are shown parked in Home One during ROTJ, with several of those fighters being serviced.

Second, if you use the computer games and/or starwars.com (and the novels) for reference, Nebulon-B frigates also definitely have them, as do assault frigates (if we assume them to be the modified frigates of the games).

Finally, it is only common sense that fighters would not fly on their own all the time.. unless you expect the pilots to live in their fighters for months on end. Also, fighters need somewhere to be serviced, repaired, and refueled!

True, but it gives the Imperials a big advantage, not that they shouldn't have that advantage mind you. Normally though, because I like big fleets, as the Rebels i'll hype in either 3 Mon Cal cruisers and 5 Corellian Corvettes, or 4 Mon Cal Cruisers and 2 Corellian Corvettes. However, as the Imps, I just hype in 5 Imperial Star Destroyers which is a far more effective fighting force. More capital ship power, more anti-fighter gear, and I get access to bombing runs.

true enough.

The Rebs get fighters to count against their pop cap, which sucks royally, where the imps get an infinite amount of happy fighters to harass the enemy with. I've found myself as the rebels more than once totally forgetting about fighters in a big battle and focusing in on taking out ships and then I end up seeing a Nebulon B or Mon Cal get smacked around by bombers while I'm focusing in on the cap ships.

But the rebels have a higher unit cap, right? 25 versus 20.

Yes, but that gives them potential for 5 more fighter groups, whereas the empire has potential access to 30+.

Say what you will about the fighters; sure, X-wings will beat TIEs in a dogfight, but who honestly uses X-wings for that? A Tartan Cruiser/Corellian Corvette will do the job much faster. Plus, both of those ships can blot out X-wings and TIEs in about 5 seconds.

So here's how it goes in a space battle, against a space station: I bring in the Y-Wings.. FIRST, though, I have to take a bunch of frigates and take out the Tartan Cruisers. Then, I send in the Y-Wings.. and they immediately get clobbered by more Tartan Cruisers that hyper in. Now, I don't have ANY bombers left, and meanwhile the empire is spewing fighters like mad, and it really doesn't matter that my Corvettes are smashing them because of two reasons: a) there are so many imperial fighters that it's difficult to even keep up sometimes, and b) there will always be more imperial fighters.

Now, at this point in the battle, if I'm against a large space station I'm screwed because I can't take down the shield generators. Bear in mind that this is all usually because of one measly Tartan Cruiser. Even if I'm not against a space station, I have no bombers and the Imps are sending loads of bombers my way. Bad situation.

So no, the 5 extra units don't help. Consider what the imps have when they bring 6 ISDs to play; about 48 squadrons, if I have my figures right. Try working against that with your 5 squadrons of X/Y-wings.

But the rebels have a higher unit cap, right? 25 versus 20.

Yes, but that gives them potential for 5 more fighter groups, whereas the empire has potential access to 30+.

Say what you will about the fighters; sure, X-wings will beat TIEs in a dogfight, but who honestly uses X-wings for that? A Tartan Cruiser/Corellian Corvette will do the job much faster. Plus, both of those ships can blot out X-wings and TIEs in about 5 seconds.

So here's how it goes in a space battle, against a space station: I bring in the Y-Wings.. FIRST, though, I have to take a bunch of frigates and take out the Tartan Cruisers. Then, I send in the Y-Wings.. and they immediately get clobbered by more Tartan Cruisers that hyper in. Now, I don't have ANY bombers left, and meanwhile the empire is spewing fighters like mad, and it really doesn't matter that my Corvettes are smashing them because of two reasons: a) there are so many imperial fighters that it's difficult to even keep up sometimes, and b) there will always be more imperial fighters.

Now, at this point in the battle, if I'm against a large space station I'm screwed because I can't take down the shield generators. Bear in mind that this is all usually because of one measly Tartan Cruiser. Even if I'm not against a space station, I have no bombers and the Imps are sending loads of bombers my way. Bad situation.

So no, the 5 extra units don't help. Consider what the imps have when they bring 6 ISDs to play; about 48 squadrons, if I have my figures right. Try working against that with your 5 squadrons of X/Y-wings.

make more corvettes ^_^.I think some SD like the Acc will stop spwaning fighter/bombers for good after a certain amount of fighters being killed.Dont worry about the fighters, they're wothless.Im never worried about the fighters, just worried about the SD thats far more stronger than fighters.You dont always need bomber to do ur work,its best to use neb-b,MKll, or and MC.Yes the extra 25 do help,ur able to make more ships than the emps meaning u can counter their ISDs.That last sentence tells me that u failed of protecting the minings, so if this actually happen then try protecting them with corvettes.If it didnt happened, bad example indeed

make more corvettes ^_^.I think some SD like the Acc will stop spwaning fighter/bombers for good after a certain amount of fighters being killed.Dont worry about the fighters, they're wothless.Im never worried about the fighters, just worried about the SD thats far more stronger than fighters.You dont always need bomber to do ur work,its best to use neb-b,MKll, or and MC.Yes the extra 25 do help,ur able to make more ships than the emps meaning u can counter their ISDs.That last sentence tells me that u failed of protecting the minings, so if this actually happen then try protecting them with corvettes.If it didnt happened, bad example indeed

First, your message was extremely hard to understand; minings?

Plus, you just contradicted yourself; so I should fill the extra 5 slots with 2 corvettes, and have NO bombers? How is THAT an advantage over the empire? TIE Bombers DO have the capability to do damage.

Consider this; it's the biggest problem. Most battles are fought with space stations somewhere in there. Try going up against an L5 space station with the rebellion. Your capital ships will get whacked up very badly against such a station, especially if the Imps have a fleet around. Your only real hope is to take down the shield generator, which requires bombers (your only other option is Gunships, which will get destroyed very quickly). Now, try bringing up your Y-Wings.. they will immediately get smothered by TIEs from the station, and from any fleet that may be around. Some may survive, if you have corvettes around. However, there will be Tartans constantly hypering in as space station reinforcements, and they will whack your Y-Wings. Game over, or at least you lose 3x the amount of ships that the Imps would lose if they were attacking a space station!

Should the Imps attack your L5 station, they have MUCH more leeway; they can afford to lose many bombers while their cap ships take out the corvettes, and/or their TIEs or Tartans smother whatever X-Wings or Y-Wings may be flying around. The empire could lose literally 3/4 of their bombers and still have more flying out, enough to take out the station shield generator. Shield generator goes down; end of game. The TIE Bombers do about as much damage with missiles as the Y-Wings do, and they survive just as long against Corvettes as Y-Wings do against Tartans. So how is that fair?

Also, believe it or not, swarms of TIE bombers can REALLY hurt your MC cruisers.

I don't really use fighters as rebels. I really dont like the system either. There really is no use for fighters if you have to make them.

They should have made it were both sides have to make fighters, but the imperials have hangers where the fighters come out of that they made. The rebels on the other hand have their fighters they bought just come out of hyperspace on their own.

Would have worked way better that way.

Many of the Rebel ships did have fighters. It does make sense if you look at it from a economic view. TIE fighters are VERY cheap. It makes sense that they SPAWN out of ISD's. It's not neccasarily that they are "parked" there, it is just WAY less expensive and easier to build. The Empire is known for it's TIE swarms so...It does make sense in a way. Plus, some sources say that a TIE factory can be built into a SD or other ship. But look at x-wings, they are 10 times better, but cost more. TIE's defense sucks, but they come at no cost. You just have to play your cards right to win against them.

ISD's and other ships in EaW do not produce TIE's, neither in combat, nor out of combat.

They come with a set compliment, and will spawn a few waves before there is non left. Once the battle is over, the ships compliment will be automatically restored and at no cost.

there is a MOD out right now that allows the Rebs to have free fighters in hangers on the bigger ships.

It's a relatively easy mod to do (I've done it myself for the Neb B and the Mon Cal). The only issue is to make sure that you don't inadvertantly get any blank lines since this will keep the game from loading.

If anyone has trouble, I'll be happy to try to get my mod up (destroyable hangars with spawns and limited reinforcements), though the downloads is down and I'm not entirely sure when I'll get home to access the file (not on the computer here at work).

• 2 weeks later...
It's a relatively easy mod to do (I've done it myself for the Neb B and the Mon Cal). The only issue is to make sure that you don't inadvertantly get any blank lines since this will keep the game from loading.

If anyone has trouble, I'll be happy to try to get my mod up (destroyable hangars with spawns and limited reinforcements), though the downloads is down and I'm not entirely sure when I'll get home to access the file (not on the computer here at work).

I would very much like to see your mod. I have modded my game for the rebels to have the ability to make AT-AT's (they have a red stripe down the side; its cool) and I made all fighters in the game faster and stronger to be more in line with the movies. I've been wanting to mod my game further and give the Rebels the ability to spawn fighters. (I love the Rebels ya see :))

Or if their are problems uploading, a hint at what files and what areas to mod would be helpful. I have an idea but havnt really started anything yet. Thanks!

Archived