Home

Epic battles... screens & stories

Guest DarthMaulUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

We've a great screenshot thread but I think its time some of you show us and tell us about your epic battles - and they can happen!

Post away! I've put my screenshot in but I really cant remember too much about the actual battle because it was a few days ago now. All i can remember afterwards, is having nightmares about Assault Frigates!

DMUK

screenie.thumb.jpg.53f23d91c2cfd81dc61627414d256b95.jpg

This was a fun one, i jumped in with several Neb-Bs with supporting units. Came to the pirate station and their was a single pirate frigate portecting it, so i surrounded it and prepared to attack when at least 8 more Pirate frigates came up from behind with supporting fighters and completly destroyed my fleet.

eaw20060312042457759qs.jpg

Or in other words "It's a trap!"

I don't have a screen shot, but I had a battle like the first post yesterday. However, in stead of a moncal cruiser, there were a TON of corellian gunships, Y-wings, and A-wings. Oh, and don't forget the Lvl 3 station.

Thanks to the two or three ion cannons on the ground, I lost more than 150 pop cap points worth of ships. Ugh, I sense a great disturbance in the Dark Side of the Force. The Emperor will NOT be pleased.

The AI ended up retreating with only one Marauder. It's just insulting that I couldn't get them all... (interdictors destroyed)

It's a good thing I was near the end-game, and had plenty of ships and cash to spare.

All i can remember afterwards, is having nightmares about Assault Frigates!

My nightmare was about Corellian Corvettes. A small ship, yes. But they kept coming and coming and coming. 89 of them, along with 22 of their Nebulon-B brothers. It was insane. Only lost 3 frigates and 8 corvettes myself, though, so I can't complain about the outcome. Had an 11:1 kill ratio.

It did seem like a lot longer than 45 minutes, though.

BestineVictory.jpg

I once initiated a land battle with Veers (who doesn't count towards the population cap!), then landed four more AT-ATs and sixteen AT-STs as I captured reinforcement points, had the AT-ATs drop their troops, and charged the Rebel base. Carnage ensued. 8)

I wouldn't call it epic but it was intense. I was playing as the Empire, the Rebels attacked Geonosis.

The only defence I had was the tech 1 station and the two squadrons of TIE Fighters and TIE Bombers that go along with that (although the respawn after awhile if they die).

The Rebels had six Corellian Corvettes, three squadrons of X-Wings and three squadrons of Y-Wings, so I was out numbered and out gunned.

I was able to use the TIE Bombers to take out the Corvettes one at a time, while the TIE Fighters kept luring the other ships away from the station for about 20 minutes or so.

Eventually I won but the station was about to be destroyed, if anyone sneezed inside, it would have come apart ;)

Anyway, it's one of the fondest memories I have from playing so far.

Here is a battle result for someone who haven't played an RTS PC game for ages and decided to try out the Alderran Land Skirmish map playing as the Empire in Easy Level...

alderan3zy.jpg

Talk about a long, hard and tedious struggle for survival... ;)

Wow! Any battle you can walk away from is a victory, I suppose. :)

Luckily it was a skirmish. The cost wouldn't have been worth it in a campaign...the 2-M and AT-AT losses alone would put you way behind your enemy's production cycle.

But congrats. That looks like it was one helluva fight. :)

(By the way...what's an "Assault Speeder"? I've played all the campaigns and conquests, but haven't seen one of those. The closest I've seen was the Air Speeder (or just called "Speeder").

No screenshot, however I managed to take out 28 Mon Calamari Cruisers and a lvl 3 Space Station (there may have been some smaller units that retreated after the Mon Cals were taken out) with 3 Star Destoyers and 2 Tartan Partol Cruisers. Distracted the Mon Cals with the Star Destroyers, while taking out the Space Station (cutting off any reinforcements it may have called in), after, I mopped up any fighters with the Tartans and finally finished off the rest of the Mon Cals with the remaining ships (maybe two Star Destroyers minus shields and one Tartan).

I think all those Mon Cal cruisers were some sort of glitch though, it blocked off the path from the Star Destroyers to the Space Station there were so many in one location, as they were all clustered in front of the Space Station.

Guest DarthMaulUK

I had a sort of epic battle on the 1v1 Campaign. Lady lucky wasn't on my side early on, with key defeats to Pirates wiping out most of my fleets. Then I fell under sustained attack and was being pushed back thanks to continued failures in key missions by in-game clowns Han Solo & Ben Kenobi.

Then cornered, I saw the Emperor above Corellia and I sent a daring mission through two Pirate controlled planets led by Ackbar and Solo and once broken through, my main fleet joined Ackbar which went directly to Corellia and bingo... The Emperor was just in a shuttle, which Red Squadron took out in one hit and victory was mine!

DMUK

No screenshot, however I managed to take out 28 Mon Calamari Cruisers and a lvl 3 Space Station (there may have been some smaller units that retreated after the Mon Cals were taken out) with 3 Star Destoyers and 2 Tartan Partol Cruisers.
Great victory. Congrats. :)

I think all those Mon Cal cruisers were some sort of glitch though, it blocked off the path from the Star Destroyers to the Space Station there were so many in one location, as they were all clustered in front of the Space Station.
Yeah, I've run into having big advantages using a bottleneck - even in space - whether it was corner-screen enemy reinforcement points (where I can just sit in spread formation between the corner and mid-screen and wipe them out as they warp in) or a combination of nebulas and asteroid fields causing them to have to maneuver almost single-file to my position.

Fun stuff!

I don't see many posts about epic multiplayer battles, so here's my favorite. This one took place last night March 26.

I wish I had a screen shot, but I didn't think about it at the time. It's not so much the length of the game, as much as who was playing. It took me two days to set it up, but I managed to arrange an 8v8 space match where I think everyone was in the top 100, most were top 50, and at least two were top 10 on the ladder. I've made some great friends in 1v1 space and most of the people I've played are really nice. However, there can be healthy rivalry, even amongst friends. hahaha. My side had four well-ranked non-clan guys, and the other side had four guys from a well-ranked clan including two of the highest ranked players on the ladder (won't say the names unless someone asks in PM). Our side had the Rebels, as they requested to be Empire. It was a close match for a while, and they gave us a good run for our money, but in the end the only running was them running away. (a little healthy bragging, in good fun) Hope I don't make anyone mad with this post, becaues it was a great battle, and I'd love a rematch. That's the most epic battle I've had ONLINE with EaW so far.

Wow! Any battle you can walk away from is a victory, I suppose. :)

Luckily it was a skirmish. The cost wouldn't have been worth it in a campaign...the 2-M and AT-AT losses alone would put you way behind your enemy's production cycle.

But congrats. That looks like it was one helluva fight. :)

(By the way...what's an "Assault Speeder"? I've played all the campaigns and conquests, but haven't seen one of those. The closest I've seen was the Air Speeder (or just called "Speeder").

an assault speeder is the speeder they use to take down at-at's, they were known as snow speeders in episode V, the air speeder is an assault speerder

check the picture of queetz' epic skirmish match

i had an epic battle the other day, unfortunately i dont have a screenshot, but anyway, i was the rebels and i had just moved my entire space fleet to 1 planet to begin an attack on the objective, (unfotunately, i didnt have many credits so i had to take my entire fleet 2 attack 1 planet,) however, after i moved my forces from kashykk, "imperial forces on approach", the only defense i had there was a level 2 (i think) space station, and a planetary ion cannon, they came with several VSD's, 1 ISD, and a couple of acclamators, thanks 2 my ion cannon, i managed 2 disable all of the capital ships, and i attacked with my bombers, and i took out their fighters with my x-wings, however my worst nightmare came when all of their capital ships were destroyed, they sent 3 ISD's as reinforcements!, after about 50 waves of fighters (the imperials were to stupid to attack the space station), the enemy was defeated, this battle has happened several times from the then, i wonder why the empire wants kashyyk so bad? anyway i have reinforced it with many ships, and more ion cannons, they are the best!

Guest DarthMaulUK

No screenshot for this one. Having lost to the number #1 dude on the ladder at least 4 times (3 of which in a row!) I was beaten again, then as normal, Gamespy paired me with him AGAIN straight after a defeat (pah) - anyway, I decided I can will do alot better than before, having lost out by just luck before.

I went straight for him, having taken out his major fleet early on, and taking heavy losses myself - I decided to build the ION cannon above Sullust, where I put Mon as decoy.

I sent my decoy fleet out to his closest planet, hoping that this would draw his main fleet to Sullust - it did. Having won my battle, and having the Emperor cornered on the planet surface, I was confident I would win the game - finally.

The battle over sullust was huge but the ION cannon was 1500 credits well spent as it took out all 4 of his VSDs and Pietts ISD, leaving my Neb Bs and fighters to mop up.

Once I won that battle, I then sent out Ben together with Han and some extra troops. Kicked the Emperor all over the map as there was hardly any defence and won!! Yah for me!!

However, Gamespy decided, like with many other games that seem to involve a Hero kill win, NOT to add the victory to my name. Gotta love gamespy and they wonder why so many people hate it.

DMUK

Archived