Home

Demo problems..

Ramsey721

Hey Im pretty new, but I just recently downloaded the Grim Fandango demo. I liked the demo, until it froze up. I left the first area through the door, and the game just freezes up as it shows him walking through the alley of some sort. Can someone tell me whats going on? I was thinking of ordering this game, and it would suck if it kept freezing up!! I have a Windows XP with (obviously) all the system requirements.... and I don't know whats going on. Can someone help me out here please? Thanks.

Hi, and welcome!

As far as I'm aware, the demo is based on pre-release code; thus, a lot of stability problems exist with it that aren't present in the final release — even more of them are then reduced with the patch released afterwards. While having unstable code that barely works was fine back when it first came out, it's obviously not quite so flexible nowadays! :)

It'd be foolish of me to guarantee you'll have no problems with the full game, but I and many others can run it on Windows XP without any real problems at all, and those problems that do exist with certain machines can be worked around with a quick search through this forum.

In short, I don't think you will have any problems with the full game, and I heartily recommend getting it — it sounds cliché, but it really is one of the best games ever.

So, it will work on a Windows XP, because many people have posted problems around the forum i see? Did you download the patch aswell for your XP because I hear its quite nessacery for users with fast computers? I am going to buy this game, once I get enough money. Im just really hoping it will work is all.

There are certain areas in the game where modern machines seem to process things too quickly, and the patch does indeed alleviate this.

For the most part, Windows XP runs Grim Fandando fine. I'm not sure what leads to certain people having issues, but they are generally fixable. There's also work slowly progressing over at ScummMV on "Residual", which will basically give the game greater compatibility with various operating systems and versions of Windows.

Unfortunately, I doubt that they will do much further development on the Windows side of things until Vista comes out, which I'd imagine will throw all sorts of spanners into GF's works and introduce a more tangible need for the tool.

The requirements are quite low, and other games made in 2000 run steadily on my 95, so I think it may work out. Im pretty sure it will run good on my 95... bearing in mind its a last resort if it doesn't work on the XP. Straight up im not concerned about how well the game will play on it(as long as it does to a certain extent), I just wanna play the game.

Archived