Home

So anyone no any good RTS games comin out in the future?

Dirk Pitt

Ditto to Admiral Raven. I have no idea when it will be coming out, but DANG it looks amazing. The castle sieges in particular blow my mind. Trying to attack a castle build on top of sheer cliffs with only a few narrow approaches to bash away at the wall only to find another ring of walls behind it. Just insanely cool. It doesn't sound as formulaic as Rome Total War was (while being an amazing game, sieges tended to be very similar).

I saw a 4 page preview in PC Gamer that absolutely blew me away. I'm salivating over that game. :)

(Medieval Total War 2 - Winter 2006)

Guest DarthMaulUK

Yeah Winter for METW2. Ive a friend who works for the creative assembly and he keeps teasing me as I am a huge fan. Notice as well, that they, like Petroglyph, have been snapped up by Sega for RTS games.

DMUK

Yeah Winter for METW2. Ive a friend who works for the creative assembly and he keeps teasing me as I am a huge fan. Notice as well, that they, like Petroglyph, have been snapped up by Sega for RTS games.

DMUK

Indeed...semi creepy...soon we'll have to refer to Sega as a big PC game publisher...and that's just odd to me since I grew up with a Genesis and was a Sonic fan and all that stuff...yeah...just kinda blows my mind.

My interest has been piqued though. Sega seems to be sneaking up on the gaming world all of the sudden after recovering from the Dreamcast...maybe it's just me not noticing, but they seem to be creeping into all sorts of areas I didn't expect.

Guest DarthMaulUK

I love DoW but after playing it for many hours online, I discovered just how bad the pathfinding can be. Units are forever getting stuck and the one thing I can't stand and makes me scream like a girl is when a unit see's an enemy unit close range, attacks it, but lets the enemy unit continue along its path because if it goes out of a certain 'zone', my unit returns back to where it was and lets the enemy unit carry on...despite any stance I put it on...grrrrrr

I think, if you like large scale battles like no other, I recomend Rome Total War without fail. But if you like something really indepth but not graphically pleasing.... REBELLION!

DMUK

The upcoming RTS I'm most excited about is definitely Supreme Commander, the 'spiritual sequel' to Total Annihilation. The game has a real sense of scale, and includes units from infantry to tanks to strategic bombers to battleships to aircraft carriers, all sized appropriately and on a humongous map. It relies more on true simulation (for instance, calculating the actual trajectory of a cannon shell to determine whether or not it hits a moving target) than rock-paper-scissors relationships. It's also elimenated a number of micromanagement issues by allowing you to appoint a computerized commander to monitor your base while you concentrate on the strategy.

Some links:

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/supreme-commander/632026p1.html

http://pc.ign.com/articles/695/695946p1.html

Unfortunately, the official website doesn't have much at this point.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

* Dark crusade expansion for Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War

(Dang I love DoW)

* Supreme Commander

Dreadnaughs picking up and throwing orks around is fun.

Even though I hardly played space marines, dreadnoughts is what got me into it as I wasnt a fan of the squad system right away. Oh man that lovely voice acting in the game

Command me

I have awoken

And I think pathfinding is still ok. Tough to find a good rpg without bad pathfinding now and then ;) Although for Baneblade (especially custom maps, but yeah custom) it can be a real pain in the ass.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hardly waiting for StarTrek:Legacy as it seems something like Starfleetcommand or better than that. I liked those MP Servers and

turning hexes with others on the map. HOpe it will be, in MP Part,

something like that.

Also War Front - Turning Point looks interesting, as it is a WWII RTS

with basebuilding and resources, what I was really really waiting for.

Gota checkout Supreme Commander. Space RTS Game ???

Archived