Home

Character dialogue and interaction in KOTOR 1

Sable Phoenix

I want to play through KOTOR again and this time I want to make sure I've heard all the character interaction, snarky comments and one-liners possible. So I'm wondering if there's a way to find out listings of all the characters who talk with each other (I know, for example, that Carth and Bastila and Carth and Mission do, but Carth and Juhani don't as far as I've been able to find), and of all the potential conversations that garner one-liners from your party members (like the hunter with his droids out in the Dune Sea, where Bastila and Jolee and Carth all make comments). Also, what are some suggestions for the best two characters to take to each area of each planet that will result in the maximum amount of witty banter and party interaction?

I hope this isn't too generalized...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
You can have two dialogues between Mission and Zaalbar, Mission and Carth and Carth and Bastila. There's one between Carth and Jolee and Bastila and Jolee, and one with Bastila and Canderous and Carth and Canderous. That's all of them I think.

Nice, I was looking for info on this and glad someone already got to it. :waive1: I wonder why there weren't any dialogues involving Juhani -- I would have expected Bastila to have something to say about the Grove incident.

You would think that, but there's a lot that was cut for Juhani, from her explaining what she knows about each planet to extended and added scenes. Most of this can be activated with a mod that lets you have the dialogue at specific times, including a scene with her about Canderous and something about the Star Forge or Leviathan, you can find all the dialogue in the game's soundwave files.

Try that mod which lets Bastila play on Korriban, i heared she has a few good lines on there although i have never tried it myself.

Yes. Here's a couple below. First when you talk to the Sith guard at the academy.

Sith: I take it your servents will not be disruptive.

Carth: No more than our master wll be.

Sith: What was that?

Bastila: Ahh, ignore him. He's mentally deicciant. And he drools.

Carth: Hey!

And this when you talk to Mekal.

Bastila: It's frightening that someone could go this far down the dark side.

Carth: You'd know plenty about that, wouldn't you, Bastila?

Bastila: And just what do you mean by that?

Carth: You're always talking about it. What do you think I meant?

Bastila: Never mind that, just be quiet.

Dont know if this is true or not, but i heard that Juhani was a last minute add in. That could be the reson they didnt have dialougs betwen Juhani and Bastila, they didnt have time or cared about it

I think it's true. They were playing around with a few ideas, like Juhani being Bastila and Bastila being named Nomi Sunrider, or something along those lines. Still apparently it's nothing compared to Sith Lords, that's meant to be a train wreck with unfinished quests and all.

• 1 month later...

11 "banter" conversations:

2 Mission and Zaalbar

2 Mission and Carth (only available on Taris)

2 Carth and Bastila

1 Mission and Bastila

1 Bastila and Canderous

1 Carth and Canderous

1 Carth and Jolee

1 Bastila and Jolee

As for Juhani, I think a lot of her stuff was cut because the devs probably thought more players would killer her off on Dantooine, and thus scaled her back.

There's a lot to do with Juhani that is still on disk but cannot be seen in game without a mod. One includes a discussion about Canderous, which I'll put a bit of below.

Juhani: I am not a coward. I fear no one, and nothing. You had not had to suffer what I had been through, human.

Revan: If Canderous is a problem then I could speak to him.

Juhani: Speak to him? No, no no no.

And moi: fear no one and nothing indeed. Another scene has Juhani prying into Revan's past, asking about who she was, about her family, ect. It's a sweet scene, especially how it paves the way for the romance option.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess I'll have to play it yet again, as I don't remember any banter between Canderous and Bastilla. Jolee and Canderous have some banter on several occasions. 2 occur on Korriban in the academy (Mekel and Lashowe) and another if they're with you the 1st time you meet Lashowe in Dresdae. Some of the most entertaining lines in the game come from HK-47, Jolee and Canderous.

2 Mission and Carth (only available on Taris)

Actually, I got the 2nd Mission/Carth convo on Kashyyyk once.

As for Juhani, I think a lot of her stuff was cut because the devs probably thought more players would killer her off on Dantooine, and thus scaled her back.

I heard that they cut her for balance issues, between the female PC and male PC romances. As Juhani and Carth were supposed to be romance options for female PC's and just Bastila for male PC's.

I think it's true. They were playing around with a few ideas, like Juhani being Bastila and Bastila being named Nomi Sunrider, or something along those lines. Still apparently it's nothing compared to Sith Lords, that's meant to be a train wreck with unfinished quests and all.

This is the fallout of the "Sunrider naming controversy", where Lucasarts got into a legal battle over the name Sunrider. Originally it was planned that the young female Jedi with Battle Meditation and who was the romantic interest of a male Revan would be Vima Sunrider. However, since another company had the right to the Sunrider name, Lucasarts decided to drop Vima from the plot. She instead took the name from the cathar female (Bastila), who was then renamed Juhani.

I'm sort of glad they changed Juhani's name, since it seems woefully unoriginal to name a cat/human BASTila. Don't ask me why they didn't just drop the Sunrider name, though. I mean, how many times do we even hear Bastila's last name (Shan)? I remember hearing it only once or twice in the game... And everybody else seems to refer to her only by her first name as well.

Ironically the Sunrider name still made it into KotOR1, when Jolee mentions Nomi Sunrider (Vima's mother and one of the greastest jedi of the KotOR era). However, Lucasarts have later said that it appeared in the game only as an oversight, and the Sunriders are not named in KotOR2, where Nomi Sunrider is referred to only by her first name, if you find her robe (which I think it is even impossible to get without mods or cheats due to a bug in the way the game awards random items).

I still think they should let Nomi and Vima be in the games and just name them by their first names only. I could accept Nomi being just "Master Nomi", if the alternative is that she isn't in there at all.

Find out about the Sunrider name controversy here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sunrider_naming_controversy

Archived