Home

Moderator insanity: "Exploits"

Kurgan

Sorry, I have to share this, sent to me today by a friend:

Link Fixed

Now I don't play SWG, but doesn't this strike anyone else as just a bit... wrong?

I mean, isn't using cover part of, I don't know, strategy and "realism"? Couldn't this silliness be avoided by making objects transparent to attacks? Seems like a silly rule in any case, and even sillier enforcement. This reminds me somewhat of the sillness of "honor codes" in the Jedi Knight series, which are more my type of game anyway (and I don't like the honor codes or what they did to a large segment of those communities in the last two online games). Use of cover seems to be one of the most logical tactics of ground warfare, and common sense in any online combat game. Did the developers not think of this when making their game? It sounds like somebody whined because their opponent used a smart strategy, more than anything, and now he's going to be penalized for it.

Is this sort of thing a common occurence in the game? No offense, again I never played a MMORPG (never had the time or money for it), but I keep hearing how people are sick of this game and leaving in droves anymore after broken promises and the combat "upgrade" but perhaps this is just symptomatic of mismanagement. It's bad enough when players do things, but in a game like this, moderators do stuff that seems to undermine the whole point of it all, or even simple logic. Is it just laziness?

When I first heard about SWG back in the day I thought it had vast potential, and the graphics looked amazing. A lot of interesting or funny videos have been made about people messing around in the community. They finally added a lot of stuff that people were originally promised, but then dismantled other things. The supposed "collector's edition" apparently was supposed to be so much more than just some sunglasses, but that's all it ended up being. The expansions were considered forgettable gimmicks other than the JTL. But it also sounds like a lot of stuff has basically undermined what it should have been. Not to start any flames here, and I'm sure this sort of thing has been argued before, but I just thought I'd share. ;)

Anyone else have any other horror stories or stupid stuff happen to them like this?

Too bad that this sort of thing happens a lot, but good that this one apologized. I think for anything this big they need quality people working for them who act professional, not like your typical spoiled abusive admin like in so many online games out there...

I wonder, do their admins get paid or are they strictly volunteers? How old are they?

Edit: Oops, guess they don't like direct linking, but I saved a local copy of the image. I'm sure others did too... ;P

Don't get me wrong im not in the military never have been. but i do know that the only infantry nowadays that don't use cover are sixfeet under.

That admin should try fighting in a real war without useing cover.

The best technics i think for a footsoldier is to get a gullie suit a silenced sniper rifle and wait for his target

not meaning to get off the subject but the ss in veitnam [after ww2 alot of them joined the french forein legion] used to get silenced rifles and wait for the vietnames to come marching along single file. They'd aim for the one all the way in the back and dispach them acordingly. if all went well the guy in front would be pushing up daises before he was even aware what was going on.

I find takeing this kind of stratagy away ridiculous. punishing someone because they can think up good statagys. it is not cheating its thinking.

With the right stratagy the weak player with brains can be mightier then the leveled up player with moderate to average inteligents. Thats not unfair at all if his enemy dose not know how to use cover he should learn. I think someone needs to report that guy to a higher up. If that is against the rules i don't think i want to play.

pity to i was thinking of a stratagy to take out vader oh well.

so let me get this straight in the trial they tell you to use cover and kurgan's friend got threatened for doing so

kurgan maybe your friend should try to get that guy fired

by the way if that happened to me id go after the guy who reported me for useing common sence then his clone and so on lol

so let me get this straight in the trial they tell you to use cover and kurgan's friend got threatened for doing so

kurgan maybe your friend should try to get that guy fired

by the way if that happened to me id go after the guy who reported me for useing common sence then his clone and so on lol

Yeah, but you are tought to use cover that doesn't cover. :D

So, when you use cover that actually gives cover, it's exploiting. :p

/sillyoff

It does seem a bit odd, you used to be able to blast someone into oblivion by shooting "through" hills and trees, I'm sure that was an exploit as well. Good thing NPC's can't complain, can't count how many mobs I took down that way - especially high end mobs that netted alot of XP. I haven't been in the game in a month or so, but this doesn't really suprise me. But having said that PVP in this game is so mind numbingly boring that I'm suprised anyone even gets involved in it anymore.

well it sucks for us commandos because if we chuck a grenade and hide behind a wall, we get cannot see target,i mean the guy just got blown up by a grenade but no damage, thats like call of duty or medal of honour not allowing cover, it would be stupid, especialy since they want an action packed fast game.

Conclusion = Devs are on drugs

well it sucks for us commandos because if we chuck a grenade and hide behind a wall, we get cannot see target,i mean the guy just got blown up by a grenade but no damage, thats like call of duty or medal of honour not allowing cover, it would be stupid, especialy since they want an action packed fast game.

Conclusion = Devs are on drugs

ye no cover sucks, that would be cool to be able to do that, like peek round corners and fire

• 4 weeks later...

I know this thread is old, but....WOW. Hiding behind a tree or rock is an exploit? I didn't even know you really could hide.

Kurgan, I've seen you on the Battlefront forums, so I know you know what a real exploit is. I'm assuming this person didn't get "inside" the trees or hills... :lol:

Besides how long can hiding work in SWG? Eventually your enemy will have run up to you. (Or seemingly teleport as they do now.....)

Archived