Home

Multiple Ion Cannons?

wherryj

This may seem like a dumb question, but I was playing the Empire on a campaign and noticed that at least one planet had more than one ion cannon.

Is there ANY use to multiple ion cannons on the same planet? Will it cycle faster or give higher chances to hit or disable a target?

I'm far from an expert on the subject, but I remember reading somewhere out there that the more of the same building you have, the less time it takes to do things. So having two research facilities on the same planet would allow for faster Tech research (Empire). Someone out there yell at me if this is wrong. :) Therefore one could think that having more than one superweapon would reduce the cycle time between shots, just as the more bombers you have in orbit the faster you can do bombing runs.

it heavily decreases the recharge time for the ion cannon weapon. basically, if you have more than one ion cannon (or a hypervelocity cannon if you play the empire), it will give you a serious advantage in space combat since you would be able to disable/damage most of the enemy fleet in a matter of minutes.

it heavily decreases the recharge time for the ion cannon weapon. basically, if you have more than one ion cannon (or a hypervelocity cannon if you play the empire), it will give you a serious advantage in space combat since you would be able to disable/damage most of the enemy fleet in a matter of minutes.

Has anyone actually tried this out? I've loaded up 1 Ywing in one ground game and 16 in another and didn't see an appreciable difference in the "cool down timer" for bombing run.

Perhaps I'll try building 3 or 4 ions and see if it makes a difference...

its not for the bombing run. i'm referring to the buildable Ion Cannon on the ground base for the Galactic Conquest/Campaign Mode. it allows you to better defend a planet from a space attack since it gives you a superweapon of sorts. if you have more than one built on the ground, the recharge timer will be heavily decreased which will allow you to quickly disable a lot of ships in a relatively short timespan.

its not for the bombing run. i'm referring to the buildable Ion Cannon on the ground base for the Galactic Conquest/Campaign Mode. it allows you to better defend a planet from a space attack since it gives you a superweapon of sorts. if you have more than one built on the ground, the recharge timer will be heavily decreased which will allow you to quickly disable a lot of ships in a relatively short timespan.

GREAT information! Thanks!

I mentioned the bombing run since the poster just above you stated "just like the bombing run"...I hadn't noticed that it made a difference, so I was wondering if multiple factories/ion cannons were bugged or it was misunderstood that having multiples would help.

It's nice of you to clear that up. So bombing runs are NO faster with one Ywing or 100, but factories make vehicles faster with multiple factories on a planet, ion cannons/hyper cannons fire faster with multiples, etc.

I tested with three HVG and it fired three times faster. Very devastating.

I think there is a value to adjust the multiplier effect from the stock 1.0f (which means having one extra building allows for 100% increase in rate of fire).

Archived