Home

Fun things to do in March

Samuel Dravis

So I wanted to go to the Gamestop to check something out (oblivion, what else) on the 15th and then I realized something- everyone knows that's the 'Ides of march.' It has negative connotations, shall we say, mainly because Shakespeare wanted it to - in his play Julius Caesar, the 15th is the day that Caesar is warned to 'beware the ides of march.' Why? Because he gets stabbited soon after. Clearly, there is only one way of thinking in this situation:

Negative thoughts = Bad things = English Literature = Shakespeare = Play = Knives = Brutus = Stabbity = Caesar = Roman = Roman-ish looking people = toga

Riiiight. You know where this is going. Since I love holidays (especially ones made up on the spur of the moment), I went to rectify this oversight with alacrity.

TO WALLY WORLD!

dscf31842mv.jpg

You can almost smell the fear toga cloth.

dscf31792tv.jpg

Closer...

dscf31806lc.jpg

AHA! The quarry is discovered!

dscf31810dp.jpg

Having found the object of my quest, I decided on a imperial purple. I read on the internets that only victorious generals were supposed to wear purple togas, but I figured my disgustingly horrific exploits in Rome: Total War earned me the right:

dscf32025zx.jpg

Great! This thing is like 5 yards long, and makes an excellent toga. I wrapped myself up in it in proper Roman fashion (yes, I looked it up) and walked outside. Then I went back in, because I forgot my sandals, an essential part of any Roman costume. Then I walked back out. Then I walked back in again, because I figure I'm not so interested in seeking* out what the results of violating public decency laws are. After redressing that issue, I proceeded forth to Gamestop. Unfortunately I do not have picture of the reactions that I recieved, but you can imagine. Too bad there were not any old geezers there to trip out, but I caught enough of those outside. :D

So, anyone else do something interesting this month?

It has negative connotations, shall we say, mainly because Shakespeare wanted it to - in his play Julius Caesar, the 15th is the day that Caesar is warned to 'beware the ides of march.' Why? Because he gets stabbited soon after. Clearly, there is only one way of thinking in this situation:

Negative thoughts = Bad things = English Literature = Shakespeare = Play = Knives = Brutus = Stabbity = Caesar = Roman = Roman-ish looking people = toga

That's got to be the best post in a long time XD

No, sorry; I don't post pictures of myself on the internet, because I don't want to. But if you could get me his full address... :D

It's some old lady in California, some YTMND user called the USPS to get the address of the person who owns the PO box, claiming to represent "YTMND Inc." (The USPS only gives the name/address of someone who owns a PO box to companies.)

English rocks.

In Rome, purple was reserved for distinguished men, not just emperors/etc. Senators, consuls, upper class, all wore toga praetextae. (white with purple border stripes, similar to sports jackets today)

Regular citizens wore toga virilis. (toga of manhood, plain white)

Are you dressing up for Julius Caesar? We had to do that last year, too. Presenting an oratory? :D

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

To be fair, at the time of Julius Ceasar, purple was only for emporers, which had been done away with for some time. So when Julius began wearing purple, the citizens and what-not began fearing he was to declare himself emporer, bringing about the old pains. So thats why Brutus and all the other senators or whatever conspired against him.

Archived