Home

Black Holes

usul

I was playing on corellia on galactic conflict and I saw something new, a black hole, I recognized it from its model, and apparently doesn't do anything, but I haven't heard if anyone had found this out yet so I figured I'd post.

blackhole.bmp

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, black holes are very much misunderstood popularly. They only have a noticeable effect when you're near the event horizon. For example, if the Sun were magically converted into a black hole, the Earth would feel no effect whatsoever (other than the fact it'd get really chilly in a hurry with no more sunlight)

Actually, black holes are very much misunderstood popularly. They only have a noticeable effect when you're near the event horizon. For example, if the Sun were magically converted into a black hole, the Earth would feel no effect whatsoever (other than the fact it'd get really chilly in a hurry with no more sunlight)

From an old discussion regarding "space obstacles" in EaW space maps....

Geez, guys, you must be kidding with the black holes . They're not just a small "hole" on the space map, like your hands washer's one, they're (most based scientific opinion) planets with tremendous gravity where even photons are captured, since the main characteristic of black holes is the huge emmision of X-ray (which derives from the extreme speed the photons gain until they crash on planets terrain)......all the rest about "jump to history/future" are unbased tales of some people out there and not scientists'.......

Apart from this small note, great find usul! It's a really nice eye-candy feature and it's the first time after (about) 2 months is notice it :D !

However, what it happened to me the other day was that missiles from a Missile Defense turret were strolling around the target (like you describe) without hitting it! The map is by 99% the skirmish space map of "Coruscant" or "Tatoine" (the two maps where we do TR tests).......omg! *rushing to that map while turning all gamma options to full*

Mostly true, but the tidal forces from the extremely warped spacetime around the singularity can be felt well outside the event horizon if the black hole is a smaller one. Those forces don't suck things in, though...they tear stuff apart. Earth is probably far enough away from the Sun to be unaffected, but I don't think I'd want to live on Mercury if the Sun collapsed--nor would I want to be anywhere near that black hole int he Corellian system! ;)

its all theory, never been tested

What do you by mean "test"? Experiment? Like sending an astronaut into a black hole and see what happens? :D

The X-ray is evidence, not experiment. For many phenomenons in physic you deduct fact & laws by strong evidences. Visit NASA.org for more infos/screenshots (they have some cool ones).

It's all Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, which has been experimentally confirmed in all cases not approaching the quantum limit. Black holes are just unique solutions of General Relativity. If you want a well-written book on black holes in layman's terms, check out Black Holes and Time Warps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy by Kip Thorne, an eminent physicist at CalTech.

@To Whoever's Involved-

It doesn't really matter what the nature of an actual black hole would be. EaW is just a game, and as such simulating what would actually happen at or near the event horizon of a black hole is irrelevant (and unknown to all of us here on Earth). The only evidence we have about them is speculation, for all any of us know a black hole could send you to Candyland when you get near it.

Well actually all these "speculations" are based on mathematical models, so while we know that things can't be "tested", there are very good reasons to believe we're correct about certain things. It's the same as how we know what the inside of the Earth is like. Noone's been there, but from the evidence we have, we've made mathematical models that show how things have to be to produce the results we can actually see. As for the tidal forces of a solar-mass black hole, I doubt even Mercury would be too badly effected. After all, it's still the same mass as the sun, so the same amount of gravity, and mercury is far enough away that the difference shouldn't be enough to crack it in two, from what I've learned. I'm no astrophysicist, but I figure an two-semester astronomy course taught at a university by a doctor of physics is probably good enough for this sort of discussion :p Neutron stars and such could be interesting as well.

Well actually all these "speculations" are based on mathematical models, so while we know that things can't be "tested", there are very good reasons to believe we're correct about certain things. It's the same as how we know what the inside of the Earth is like. Noone's been there, but from the evidence we have, we've made mathematical models that show how things have to be to produce the results we can actually see. As for the tidal forces of a solar-mass black hole, I doubt even Mercury would be too badly effected. After all, it's still the same mass as the sun, so the same amount of gravity, and mercury is far enough away that the difference shouldn't be enough to crack it in two, from what I've learned. I'm no astrophysicist, but I figure an two-semester astronomy course taught at a university by a doctor of physics is probably good enough for this sort of discussion :p Neutron stars and such could be interesting as well.

And I figure classes at MIT on this subject and a good understanding of philosophy qualify me to say things like "prove it" and "why does the black hole or the universe on a whole care about our 'calculations' here on Earth that may or may not be based on pure speculation and thus false?". As much as I'd like to believe we're right about this sort of thing I know we might not be. I also know it's just a game and this particular feature was probably added at a late stage of development and that the developers probably don't care about ruining the player's gaming experience by having their ridiculously expensive fleet of ISDs sucked into a black hole :xp:

Black holes, in a realistic manner, could actually be used in a game as a main subject if done properly, they are very interesting, even in real life.

Black Hole's are simple, they are a large amount of mass compressed into a small space, if our sun became a black hole it would have the same gravity as our sun did. However, the process of turning into a black hole would first involve a super novae and then a star emitting extreme amounts of radiation, and not to mention the tidle forces... Any planet within viewing distance of a black hole with life on it is not a possibility. And that's probably an understatement.

As to wormholes and time travel, that IS realistic. Time is relative. To you, if you were to go to a black hole near the Event Horizon, time would progress normally and you would seem to be moving fairly quickly, it would take probably a couple hours to skim by the horizon and shoot back out, if you had a ship capable of reaching escape velocity and surviving the tidal forces, that is. However, to an outside observer, it would take you hundreds of years to go in and back out. For you, its been an hour, for the rest of the universe, it's been a couple hundred years - You've traveled into the future.

According to relativity, things with a large mass, such as a planet, create a curviture in spacetime. Think of a flat plane, then, where a planet is, imagine a huge whole where space bends around it going inside this whole. The larger a mass, the larger the disturbance, and this has a huge effect on spacetime, but it's a long long explanation as per the effects of that, but just think of the effect of the mass of a black hole all compact into that small area.

It's theorized that black hole's could potentially connect to other black hole's, because of their disturbance in spacetime, allowing travel between the two, however, current theories suggest that most black holes would only sustain this connection for short amounts of time, and anything caught in it when it dissapated would *literally* cease to exsist. I dont mean atoms crushing or anything, i mean you literally are wiped from exsistance itself. But let's not even get into the kind of ship you'd need to survive the black hole, let alone getting through the connection through spacetime curvature.

There's also the theory of a White hole, this is literally the opposite of a black hole, it spits matter out instead of sucking it in, but this would require negative-Energy (if i recall correctly) which exists only in theory (but has good mathematical models on it, so i trust the theory) but white holes actually existing is pure speculation here, we have no visual evidence (But if they did, they probably would appear white, or atleast very bright, spewing out light and all sort's of other matter, especially anything that came through a sustained connection between it and a black hole, but again here we're relying on a lot of theories being true, but it is a seriously considered possibility by the scientific community.)

Also, when getting into this theory of traveling in a black hole, there is the theory of "Baby Universes" Being spawned *inside*, with it's own cosmos, stars and all. But as you can see, black hole's are really cool in real life, i see no need to use fiction regaurding black hole's when there's plenty of cool real life theories, eh, eventually someone will make something good out of it.

Very good SRF_Vader!

Though to add to that, when you are being sucked into a black hole, you wont survive to see this. But the universe will flash by very quickly if you could "look out". Because although it may seem a small time to you, the outside universe is going warp speed from your POV. But from there's your going the speed of a snail.

It's theorized that black hole's could potentially connect to other black hole's, because of their disturbance in spacetime, allowing travel between the two, however, current theories suggest that most black holes would only sustain this connection for short amounts of time, and anything caught in it when it dissapated would *literally* cease to exsist. I dont mean atoms crushing or anything, i mean you literally are wiped from exsistance itself. But let's not even get into the kind of ship you'd need to survive the black hole, let alone getting through the connection through spacetime curvature.

Are you referring to something like the annihilation or atoms (like when a particle collides with it's anti-particle), or something that just makes matter and energy cease to exist? I once again counter this with: "prove it" though :p

It's one thing to observe particles and notice evidence of their existance (think about the years before the discovery of the Tau particle), but it's quite another to speculate about the innards of an object that's billions of lightyears away, is impossible to enter with current technology, and can barely be seen. I'd just like a little in the way of observable evidence, I'm not one who's skeptical of everything, seeing as I actually believe in string theory :p

Well, as they say Black Hole's are potentially the most mysterious objects of the entire Universe, and may be the key to unlock the secret's of it. We know what we do through mathematical computations based off what we see. We cant see a black hole, it's impossible (atleast, with light, it does emit other particles) but we CAN see the effects black holes have on their environment. But honestly, there are no truly 100% Solid theories on black holes, and probably never will until we are able to get close to one. I mean we're talking about research that could continue a million years from now should the human race succeed in existing that long (That is one of our long term goals afterall, survival ;) )

Well, as they say Black Hole's are potentially the most mysterious objects of the entire Universe, and may be the key to unlock the secret's of it. We know what we do through mathematical computations based off what we see. We cant see a black hole, it's impossible (atleast, with light, it does emit other particles) but we CAN see the effects black holes have on their environment. But honestly, there are no truly 100% Solid theories on black holes, and probably never will until we are able to get close to one. I mean we're talking about research that could continue a million years from now should the human race succeed in existing that long (That is one of our long term goals afterall, survival ;) )

That's what I was trying to point out, they're unknown to us and we don't really know what happens around them and that what we do "know" is just theory. I actually posted in this thread to point that out and stamp out the possibility of this turning into a "zOMG u r a moaron teh blac hols r not reprezentd rite in teh game!!1"-type thread :xp:

Well, just because it doesnt have a lot of evidence behind it doesnt mean it should be disregaurded, they are good theories and they do have quite extensive studies behind them, i think if black holes are to be put into a game, they should atleast use some of the currently exsisting theories instead of just going completely out there with it.

Archived