Home

Student marches in Los Angeles county...

Tyrion

Apparently, a bunch of mostly hispanic students walked out of school today in protest of some immigration bill being passed. It's a big thing on CNN right now if you'd care to watch.

What a coincidence, though. I haven't missed many days of school so far...but yesterday I started to get sick out of the blue. Stayed home today due to a sore throat and a fever- my dad went to go get me some lunch, and when he came back he told me a bunch of kids were walking down Whittier Blv. I said "huh." and went back to playing Oblivion. Few hours later I called my friend who takes me to school to apologize about not calling about my no-show because I was sick. She mentioned how our High School was put in lockdown three times, and that I'd better bring in an absent note tomorrow...

What a coincidence. Lots of hispanics miss out(some dropped) of school and I just happend to be sick that day. I'm hispanic too, to boot, although I suppose I'm not in too much danger since I look more white than white people. :p

It'll be great. Years from now when I apply to a college they'll ask me "why were you absent the day of the Los Angeles Marches? Were you walking along too?" "Uh...no...I was...sick..." "Your form says you are Spanish." "I was sick, really!" "We have no need for the likes of rebels like you. " ":("

It wasn't a hispanic-vs-everyone else issue; it was about illegal immigrants period, no matter where they're from (btw, that specific legislation has been changed to where it is more acceptable to the, ah, nontaxpayers). If someone pulls something like you describe on you at a college, you can take some serious action out on them and I'd encourage you to.

What these people don't seem to understand is that this isn't a racial issue, it's a legal issue. I've seen pictures from the Phoenix protest of illegal immigrants standing around, waving Mexican flags, holding signs that say, "I am not a criminal." They may not want to admit it, but if they're in the United States without proper citizenship, then they are engaging in criminal behavior.

The U.S. is partly at fault, but only because they've never really enforced immigration policy in the past. But it's becoming more of a problem now than it ever was, and it's about time we did something about it. If illegal immigrants have a problem with giving the law a few teeth, then I say, "who cares?" And while there are US citizens participating in the protests, too, their reasons for protesting don't stand up under the law, or under the practical concerns facing the US in light of the current illegal immigration situation.

My school once went into lockdown because someone let a bunch of chickens loose in the hall.

Yes.

Heh. American schools are funny.

I know a little guy in a pointy green hat who can help you out if the situation arises again. ;)

I've seen pictures from the Phoenix protest of illegal immigrants standing around, waving Mexican flags, holding signs that say, "I am not a criminal."

And once again, all I can say is "Where the **** is immigration at." There's a good number of illegals, OPENLY ADMITTING IT, and they aren't dong ****.

I get so pissed off at them.

And once again, all I can say is "Where the **** is immigration at." There's a good number of illegals, OPENLY ADMITTING IT, and they aren't dong ****.

I get so pissed off at them.

I wouldn't mind seeing the police start arresting illegal immigrants at these rallies...except for the fact that if they did, people would probably start rioting.

I wouldn't mind seeing the police start arresting illegal immigrants at these rallies...except for the fact that if they did, people would probably start rioting.

Ironically enough they don't (technically) have the right to peaceful protest, given they haven't been granted the rights of a US citizen. And on the topic of rights, I'm reserving the right to hit whoever says this is a racial issue :p

Oh sure the only reason we ever get a lockdown (4 times this year after 6 years of never having one) is because some nutty goth kids wanted some of us dead.

Not necessarily, you need to live in the US for five years to be a citizen.

Well thats why we need to get this guest worker plan going and stop just talking about it.

I'm here in Southern California and the reason the schools were put on lockdown is because Tuesday was the third straight school day that these kids left school to "protest". In actuality, during interviews, almost NONE of them knew why they were out of school. It is suspected that the rainy weather today (Wed) will keep most of the in school.

The only solution to the illegal immigration issue that makes sense to me is to take the jobs away. How do we do that? Go after the employers who hire them and punish them for encouraging illegal immigrants to break the law by being here. Until that happens, this problem won't go away...

Except one imagines that the jobs are there because people need whatever they provide. ??

It seems to me that havng a guest worker programme would be very sensible... though how exactly you stop people disappearing at the end of it is another matter.

If you need the migrants - make the migration legal. That way you can control it, tax it, monitor it and prevent the criminals making money out of it. Makes sense to me. Though any time anyone dares mentioning such a plan they usually get slammed for being soft on immigration. *shrugs*

Archived