Home

crap bomber pilots

P5yNerGy|TFL

Has anyone noticed that sometimes if you ask a bomber to attack a hard point after reinforcing it in for final attack on base , it goes to attack it ..then decides instead to sit and twiddle its thumbs. Usually when you go off to select other units..or something.

Whats going on?

i have never noticed this, though i dont take many small craft, my fleet consists of mostly capital ships and frigates, it has though happened 2 me online, and its not just bombers, i told a bunch of xwings 2 attack the enemy base 2 draw them away from mine, they got half way there and them came back 2 my base, whilst getting blown 2 bits!

Guest DarthMaulUK

You guys never heard of a tea break? Its just an AI issue I bet. This sort of thing happens on Dawn of War when issuing orders. RTS games in general struggle with pathfinding and AI, its probably not an easy thing to program but annoying when it has an impact on a battle

DMUK

Total Annihilation 250 - 1000 units , Full 3d Terrain with mountains and lakes , hugh maps...and it came out in 1997 .That had great pathfinding.

Its a small thing to ask...to get a unit to attack something when you select it and give it an attack order.

Um, i just looked at some screenies...It isn't 3-D for one thing it is 2-D and worse it can out only for the MAC.

If that was about Total Annihlation, I have this to say: I cannot comment on whether or not is was true 3D or merely 2D made to look 3D. However I can say with 100% certaintly that it was not a MAC only game. I own both it and the Core Contingency expansion for my PC. Haven't played it in years, but one thing that game was awesome at was large scale battles.

Something Empire at War could excel at as well if it would add more units, a much higher population cap, and of course much larger maps.

Total Annihlation is 2D made to look like 3D. just like Red Alart 2.

path finding is a very basic part of the game's AI in 2D games. however, i wouldn't say it's basic when it comes to pathfinding in dogfights. so it's quite hard to do. but there is a mod for HW2 where the dog fights are self-written and when you look at it, it's as realistic as anyone can get! now that's good programming.

in the space battles, you will notice the developers thought of a very cleaver way of putting in minimum amount of pathfinding. what they did was that they put different ships on different plain. so ships should never collide. but you do see ISD's just go stright through a space station stiuations. :p

anyway. the bug with the bombers are probably caused by the fact that the target has changed status so the bombers thought they can "have a cup of tea".

The bomber AI has a idle time associated wth it; in fact it does think on it own a bit.

This is to give a more realistic thinking independent AI units while you may be busy with something else.

I notice this stuff (ignoring orders sometimes) but unless we can get a gruby hands on the *LUA Editor*, I see no way to amileriate the situation. It is annoying, some tweaks can be made in the XML AI perception equations for better behavior..well you now how it goes.

TA is fully 3d, as in it utilises full 3 dimensional space , and has a 3d game engine. Infact there is a program that allows you to replay the games and move the camera around.

What im trying to say is that its no excuse to have AI that doesnt listen and to say the weaknesses in the pathfinding is actually in-game bombers thinking independantly is as bad an excuse as saying invisible acclamators have cloaking technology.

The bomber AI has a idle time associated wth it; in fact it does think on it own a bit.

This is to give a more realistic thinking independent AI units while you may be busy with something else.

I notice this stuff (ignoring orders sometimes) but unless we can get a gruby hands on the *LUA Editor*, I see no way to amileriate the situation. It is annoying, some tweaks can be made in the XML AI perception equations for better behavior..well you now how it goes.

u are right, the ships do act more realistically in this game, for exmple if they are told to attack a target, and their fellow ships are under attack, they will attack the unit which is firing on the allies, i have noticed this happen several times, especially online

You guys never heard of a tea break? Its just an AI issue I bet. This sort of thing happens on Dawn of War when issuing orders. RTS games in general struggle with pathfinding and AI, its probably not an easy thing to program but annoying when it has an impact on a battle

DMUK

:wstupid:

Archived