Home

Commandos vs. Spartans

Bomberman65

Spartans suck, Commandos kick ass.

"Master Chief" is the dumbest name ever, he looks really stupid, he hardly talks and when he does he's spouting bulls**t.

He is the last of the Spartans, all of whom were killed in very similar circumstances to the battles in Halo, except in Halo he is on his own, so it's completely ridiculous to think that he would survive.

Republic Commandos firstly have cool names, great equipment, actual army designations and they talk to each other like they are in the military unlike Master Chief.

There are four of them, clearly with training, which makes it alot easier to believe their surviving the missions, and they answer to actual military authority unlike Master Chief who answers to some holographic woman like Andromeda which also sucks.

So Commandos and Spartans can't really be compared, they're too different, Spartans are stupidly unrealistic in their design and the way they are implemented, Commandos are realistic in the way they fight and the way they interact with eachother and enemy and friendly PCs.

Commandos rule, Spartans suck.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It truely is hard to compare the two. I also find it very unrealistic that all the other spartans died in almost one battle, the battle for Reach. Then John, a spartan that barely made it out alive, goes on to battle thousands of the same creatures that killed the other spartans plus a more dangerous race by himself, for the most part. The question is commandos vs. spartans. Personally, I don't think that ordinary spartans are better than commandos. However, Master Chief is not an ordinary spartan and may be able to beat a commando. Still, the question wasn't "Master Chief vs. Commandos."

Still, the question wasn't "Master Chief vs. Commandos."

He has a strong point you know. We're all taking about the M.C. but the Q was actually an avrage spartan vs. a pod of avrage commandos. Basicly, after listening on how all those spartans got their @$$3$ l<1(l<3l)... it's pretty obvious on what would happen.

That was The Imperial Army(IA) you are talking about. we are taling about the Grand Army of the Repbulic(GAR). besides *thinks about SWBF2* no wonder the IA lost with their stupid Imp Officers.

And they are INFERIOR to the Commandos not supperior. the IA is basically brainwashed to serve the Emperor unlike the GAR, which also ultimately listened to the emperor, who actually had thoughts of their own and decisions of their own

Spartans suck, Commandos kick ass.

"Master Chief" is the dumbest name ever, he looks really stupid, he hardly talks and when he does he's spouting bulls**t.

He is the last of the Spartans, all of whom were killed in very similar circumstances to the battles in Halo, except in Halo he is on his own, so it's completely ridiculous to think that he would survive.

Republic Commandos firstly have cool names, great equipment, actual army designations and they talk to each other like they are in the military unlike Master Chief.

There are four of them, clearly with training, which makes it alot easier to believe their surviving the missions, and they answer to actual military authority unlike Master Chief who answers to some holographic woman like Andromeda which also sucks.

So Commandos and Spartans can't really be compared, they're too different, Spartans are stupidly unrealistic in their design and the way they are implemented, Commandos are realistic in the way they fight and the way they interact with eachother and enemy and friendly PCs.

Commandos rule, Spartans suck.

Haha, you're real funny.

Try telling that to an actual Master Chief. Why? Because, unlike those little numeric designations, Master Chief is an actual rank. A numeric designation, in the context used by RC, is an ID. Don't believe me? A Master Chief is an officer in a Navy. (Edit: To be specific, in the US Navy, it is the highest rank an enlisted person can recieve, and is a non-commissioned officer, or NCO. If you want the NUMERIC MILITARY RANK DESIGNATION, it is E-9.)

Master Chief also does not answer to Cortana. Cortana is simply the go-between.

As a note: I love Halo, I love RC, but for God's sake, get some actual knowledge before posting something as clearly opinionated as that. You mentioned something about off-topic? They're comparing technical specifications and tactical knowledge, not "how cool the names are" or "how awesome he looks". Imbecile.

Also, to add something to the actual conversation at hand:

"The suit can recycle air for ninety minutes. It's shielded against radiation and EMP as well." [Fall of Reach, 120]. This references the original MJOLNIR suits used by the Spartans. Just thought that, since it was stated earlier that the EC Grenades function by EMP, that ought to cause a rethinking.

Anyways, Katarn armor may be nice, but think about this: it is a) mass-produced, and therefore not the top-notch incredible equipment you might think it is and b) designed to be effective against blasters, which are the predominant weapons of the time. Slugthrowers, crossbows, and other personal projectile weapons are very rare (comparatively) in the Star Wars universe, and so, the Katarn armor and shielding would be geared towards energy weapons, and not much concern wasted upon kinetic-based weaponry.

Also, going by the technical specifications given in the books (if I may), if a CC tried to run from any Spartan, they wouldn't get too far. They run in bursts of up to 55 km/h without their armor. Obviously, this isn't represented in game, possibly because it would be too difficult to control as a player.

Firstly, great flame speech, nice first impression for everyone there. Next time you disagree with what someone has said, try being a little more adult about it.

Haha, you're real funny.

Try telling that to an actual Master Chief. Why? Because, unlike those little numeric designations, Master Chief is an actual rank.

In the US Navy you said. Halos "Master Chief" isn't in the Navy, and his role in the Military is nothing like that of the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (MCPON).

As a note: I love Halo, I love RC, but for God's sake, get some actual knowledge before posting something as clearly opinionated as that. You mentioned something about off-topic? They're comparing technical specifications and tactical knowledge, not "how cool the names are" or "how awesome he looks". Imbecile.

F**k you, thats all a person can say to something like that, I posted a perfectly fair argument for Commandos against Spartans, taking everything into account, I had some fair points but being childish and clearly bias, you chose not to mention them.

This thread was off topic, it had been off topic for a number of days, why don't you look at the dates of the posts.

"The suit can recycle air for ninety minutes. It's shielded against radiation and EMP as well." [Fall of Reach, 120]. This references the original MJOLNIR suits used by the Spartans. Just thought that, since it was stated earlier that the EC Grenades function by EMP, that ought to cause a rethinking.

It didn't do them much good on Reach though did it?

Also, going by the technical specifications given in the books (if I may), if a CC tried to run from any Spartan, they wouldn't get too far. They run in bursts of up to 55 km/h without their armor. Obviously, this isn't represented in game, possibly because it would be too difficult to control as a player.

Again, they weren't fast enough on Reach.

I don't know what other forums you've been on are like, but here we don't randomly attack people as our first posts so I suggest you don't come back until you can be a little more adult in your arguments.

What I posted first obviously wasn't in reponse to anything you said, so why you had to be so extremely rude I have no idea.

Yes, we just start Emo-ing whenever someone has a conflicting argument.

Could argue that MC is a member of the "Space Navy". HTF do things work, who cares? Why do commandos get orders from a non CO anyway? As for Reach, well, it's a bit like sending Commandos to Geonosis ON THEIR OWN, it'd be nasty no matter what. The Covenant spam units like nothing else. Okay, Spartans weren't on their own, but Plasma does nasty effects to human flesh I'd reckon.

Meh, this might as well be left to die, it started off cool, but it's getting into so much semantics that seaman jokes are starting to sound appealing.

It's shielded against radiation and EMP as well." [Fall of Reach, 120]. This references the original MJOLNIR suits used by the Spartans. Just thought that, since it was stated earlier that the EC Grenades function by EMP, that ought to cause a rethinking.

Anyways, Katarn armor may be nice, but think about this: it is a) mass-produced, and therefore not the top-notch incredible equipment you might think it is and b) designed to be effective against blasters, which are the predominant weapons of the time. Slugthrowers, crossbows, and other personal projectile weapons are very rare (comparatively) in the Star Wars universe, and so, the Katarn armor and shielding would be geared towards energy weapons, and not much concern wasted upon kinetic-based weaponry.

First of all the Fancy motorcycle suit which is "sheilded" against EMP is for there emp you may be right but we dont know how the EC grenades actually work meaning they may or may not damage the suit. i doubt that they will stop it but i think they are shielded from the EMP after a nuke(hence the mention of radiation). also the armor is mass produce but is constantly undergoing new testing and upgrading. also if you would READ you would know that Katarn armor is able to resist even a verpine shatter pistol/rifle, which is a projectile weapon(and i must say your an imbecile to consider an arrow going through katarn armor) Also the CCs would run faster than that as of their last armor upgrade which included reduced armor weight. and it also allows more tactics to be used to avoid weapons

Firstly, great flame speech, nice first impression for everyone there. Next time you disagree with what someone has said, try being a little more adult about it.

In the US Navy you said. Halos "Master Chief" isn't in the Navy, and his role in the Military is nothing like that of the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (MCPON).

F**k you, thats all a person can say to something like that, I posted a perfectly fair argument for Commandos against Spartans, taking everything into account, I had some fair points but being childish and clearly bias, you chose not to mention them.

This thread was off topic, it had been off topic for a number of days, why don't you look at the dates of the posts.

It didn't do them much good on Reach though did it?

Again, they weren't fast enough on Reach.

I don't know what other forums you've been on are like, but here we don't randomly attack people as our first posts so I suggest you don't come back until you can be a little more adult in your arguments.

What I posted first obviously wasn't in reponse to anything you said, so why you had to be so extremely rude I have no idea.

Sorry that any part of that other than the "imbecile" sentence came off as insulting, because the rest of it wasn't meant to be. Also, Master Chief is a Naval officer - he is payed for, trained, and sent out by the Navy. (Source - Fall of Reach). Now, his role may be different, but things may have evolved in a few years, or Bungie's military experience may not be incredible. But, what you said was still not correct. Should he technically be a CMC (Command Master Chief. See Wikipedia or something, too lazy to explain)? He probably would be considered that, as he was the link between the Spartans and the upper command structure. It never specifically states.

And yes, I'm aware his job is unlike any other Chief's.

I wasn't being (intentionally) biased, I was simply too tired to post arguments for them, as well as not quite as informed on them book-wise. In one-on-one, I do believe a Spartan would easily win. A pod on one, I believe it would be interesting, but if it remained at longer than medium range for very long, I doubt the Spartan could hold off, and would at least have to retreat if he could still manage it. Sixteen times as many grenades, for one thing. Now, theres always the option of kicking any non-contact detonation grenades back, but the Spartan wouldn't know which grenades stick and which don't, and, despite moving as fast as they do, probably wouldn't want to take that risk. A pod of four commandos? Commandos win, hands down. One Commando? Wants to get really lucky.

(and i must say your an imbecile to consider an arrow going through katarn armor) Also the CCs would run faster than that as of their last armor upgrade which included reduced armor weight. and it also allows more tactics to be used to avoid weapons

I never said I thought it would work. I was giving another example of a kinetic based weapon. A Verpine shattergun is powerful, however, it's not the most powerful kinetic-based weapon in the Star Wars universe. It's still on the lines of a high-caliber handgun. A Wookie Bowcaster is another example - it fires a metal slug enveloped by energy. I was trying not to get too specific.

The CCs would run how fast, specifically? After all, I said 55 kilometers an hour without their suit. The suit effectively doubles a Spartan's strength, which is no little thing. The initial problem with the whole argument is, Spartans, just like commandos, are meant to be part of a team. That is why, with four commandos and one Spartan, the Spartan would lose. Spartans were raised their entire lives in teams of three, and before Reach, not one single time were any of them sent in a group of less than three, except on training missions in semi-controlled environments, much like the example given in FoR where they had to meet up to peice together the map. How about a role reversal, for thought? One commando versus a team of three Spartans?

Anyways, I have a question: someone said earlier that the commandos are fighting tougher enemies (paraphrased). This got me wondering. Covenant vs Seperatists. I personally thing that the Covenant would win. The Republic's navy may be better equipped and trained than UNSC's, but I think the Covvies outdo the Seperatists (and the Republic) by far.

is for there emp

I'm fairly certain that physics doesn't change too much. An EMP, or Electromagnetic Pulse, is simply a surge of electromagnetic waves - also known as light, gamma rays, x-rays, radio-waves, etc. I believe that, in weaponry, we currently are experimenting with the high-end of the spectrum - ultraviolet, gamma rays, and such. While in Star Wars, it may have taken a different direction, it's not too unlikely that they have simply done what we haven't yet. The question is, does the EC work by EMP, or by static chaff, or something else?

they are also able to resist bowcasters but not to long after at the most 5 shots will put some damge in the armor sorry i misunderstood you on the arrow part then. i apoligize. i disagree. yes convenant is stronger in some points than the seps but Commandos dont just fight Droids. also they are pitched into the most difficult situations.

That's true, but the primary tenet of Spartan training was to adapt. I think that the Commandos would fare the same way the Spartans did - always winning on the ground, but once the battle came to space, the Covenant would smash on their fleet, vaporize the planet, and move on. Besides, Elites are a totally different ball game than Spartans - They are naturally as physically tough as your "average" Spartan, they are trained thoroughly in tactics, and they have plasma grenades. They can do all the tactical things a commando can - call down air strikes, send for reinforcements, and more - they are also all commanders, and have troops under them. And an Special Operations Elite (the nasty ones in the white armor) would probably be too much for a commando - what if he brings along that favorite Elite weapon, the Plasma Sword? Plasma swords are comparable to lightsabers in energy output (theoretically), and we saw how effective Katarn armor was with sabers. Then there's the fact that the Covenant is many races, united by a religion into an army. An Elite can't reach somewhere? He sends a bunch of buggers instead. Somewhere too cramped for a Brute? Send a group of Grunts. Grunts are, theoretically, more difficult opponents than their counterpart battledroids, because they are equipped with a variety of weapons as well as grenades. However, a battle droid may be more physically resilient. They both have the advantage of their extreme numbers. Grunts? Shorter, thus, theoretically, harder to hit. All in all, I think that would be a better (more entertaining) battle. A horde of grunts vs a horde of battle droids. Hey, if the Gungans can do it..

heck if a gungan(specificallx JarJar) can defeat a jedi then the whole SW universe would collapse they also have which i read on wikipedia that they did have 6 man squads and expeiremental squads they couldnt check completely cause' of the Empire.

they would combine diffrent reg. troopers(including clone assasins[not commandos]) and turn them into a squad

WOW... that has got to be the longest conversation ever so far.

So any ways, I've done a little bit of research and found out that also in the Female Clone Rumor (FCR) that she was a scout clone commando doing extreamly top secret missions ordered by "who" I don't know yet I'll keep searching. But here's a rumor I don't yet beleve: During the search of 07 on the wookie planet they trace him down to a wookie slave camp and find her their captured. After they free her from her cell she imideatly explains her self and links up with the squad permanetly while still keeping her identety a secret from other commandos.

I kinda beleave in this rumor but not yet since RC2 is comming up soon. I'll keep you guys posted on what I find out.

(0^^^^@nl)0$ 12ul_3 & l<1(l< @$$ w007 :-)

What books are they, taclled? The soldiers are genetically programmed to be obedient and completely loyal to their master. Which is why the Clones killed their Jedi generals without question.

True. I don't see the point in using the force if they are already programmed. Besides, couldn't the jedi try to use the force to force loyalness into their clones. [/Offtopic]

Why are you people saying physics is different in Halo and Starwars? ECD stands for Electrical Current Detonator, electricity doesn't change, you see all that lightning like stuff after an ECD explodes? It's called elcetricity, you can learn that from Looney Toons; and apparently a Spartan is protected against that. Spartan vs Commando = Spartan ownage. Squad of Commandoes vs Spartan = Commando ownage. Squad of Commando's vs Squad of Spartans = Spartan ownage with maybe an injury or casualty. Beyond me why you people are talking about loyalty...

Archived