Home

Game(s) Closest To Grim Fandango

grimfan

Sorry if this has already been posted but I just wanna know of some Adventure Games I can get that have the same charisma as GF. Something with a cool background feeling to it (e.g. GF had the Ancient Incan/Mayan/Mexican culture behind it). Something with uncorny humour, beautiful scenery, a great soundtrack etc.

I know nothing will be able to come close to GF but I do want to try some other games (not so much point-and-clicks, they're a little boring). I've tried 'The Longest Journey' and 'Monkey Island' Series. Any suggestions, thanks and sorry for long post.:)

That's really hard. I'm going to recommend some of my adventure favourites, but none of them really have the same feel as GF.

Gabriel Knight: There are three games in the series. The best way to describe them is to say that they're interactive supernatural murder mysteries. They have interesting back drops (Voodoo in the first game, Bavarian history in the second and The Templars in the third), so that might interest you a little. The music is excellent, but not similar to that in GF. GK has a more gothic soundtrack with additional pieces that suit the current location, like African drums or blues in some places of the first game. You could say that Gabriel is a little like Manny in the sense that in the beginning they're both failures and they eventually rise from there, but don't expect to see Manny the II ;). GK games also have their dark moments with just enough humour somewhere in there.

Beneath a Steel Sky: At first you could say that this game is nothing like GF. It's a scifi adventure about a futuristic world where the society is controlled by a computer called LINC. However, the basic story is the same as in GF; a random guy is caught in the middle of it and must reveal the corruption in the society. It's also freeware, so you won't lose anything if you try it. It's rather old, so prepare yourself for old graphics and midi soundtrack. Has full voice work, though. You can download it here.

Unfortunately, both are point and click, so you may not like them.

By the way, I'm moving this to Calavera Cafe since we're mostly going to be talking about non-GF games. :)

• 1 month later...

Truthfully...no games will ever capture the spirit of Grim Fandango ever again. But there are still some great adventure games out there. Most are point and click, but they still have great stories where you can get involved with the characters.

Day of the Tentacle: I had a blast playing that game and even though it is point and click game, I would totally recommend it! A hilarious game with some really good backgrounds for present day, 100 years in the past and 100 years in the future. I'm sure any GF fan would love it (its also made by Tim Schafer)

I found DOTT pretty easy, well loads easier than GF anyway. It was only really that puzzle in the past, with the cat and having to move the matresses, that got me stuck. Oh yeah, and not finding the keys for the car on the back of the door.

But apart from that pretty easy.

• 1 month later...

Full Throttle is pretty cool but i could see why point n click games cud be boring the first three MI's were awesome but then there was EMI which was a huge upset but it was still good in my opinion. sam n max, dott, MI 1-3, and FT all good but were in the 21st century now the last adv game lucasarts made was MI 4 i think they cant keep expecting us to keep buying there old stuff cuz there running out. A new original adv wud be really appreciated. Now if Tim & Ron were on board we'd be lookin at a game the equivalent of GF or better!

• 1 month later...

Archived