Home

PS3 price...499 to 599 euros

MTV2

836AUD to 1004AUD down here in Australia with the prices listed. Thank god I have no reason to buy a PS3 lol. With that kinda money I'm able to buy a NRV, all the accessories and still have enough money left over to get at least 4 games.

Advice to anyone who wants to buy a PS3: Waiting is good. It's not like the PS3 is evil, it's just gonna be too damned expensive at first.

I wouldn't put too much into this until Sony makes an official statement. We went through this with the 360 before it came out. Like everyone says, IF they want to compete, they will have to sell it at a price comparable to the 360. $600-$700 for a console is absurd, when you can get a new high end PC gameing rig online for less than $900. And yes, first editions of ANY console is a bad choice, many customers will tell you the horror stories.

Weren't XBOX bundles priced at over $1000? How much is the console selling for now?

I'd expect that sony are raising people's expectations of the price - so that when they release it for more than the 360, but less than the expectations people won't be upset.

I have to admit that a short while back i thought the PS3 would kick the 360's butt... but all the indications coming out about the PS3 recently haven't been good. Sounds like troubled devlopment. Sounds like it will be expensive. Sounds like it won't be much more powerfull than the 360.

I think Sony may have gone the wrong route on the PS3 and it may hurt them. If it comes out as the most expensive and doesn't blow the 360 out of the water graphics-wise then a lot of people may go for the (then) reduced 360. They might have been better to have something less powerful (equal to or even a bit below the 360) and cheaper.

(after all the graphical jump from PS2 level to 360 level is more impressive than XBOX to 360)

There are a lot of PS2 owners out there who would be happy to simply upgrade to PS3 unless you put obstacles in their way that might cause them to consider the alternatives - such as big delays and high prices.

Not pretty cheap considering it's not supposed to be a PC : |

It comes pre loaded with linux, can use a keyboard and mouse, ethernet, you can use it as a Personal Computer (I'm not one to call Windows machines PC mind you).

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys....im just popin in.

this may sound like im a rich boy, but im not, but im lookin at gettin an Xbox360 and a PS3 my mate has a business running and they can get them wholesale prices, so he he....mates rates :D

I was playing a Xbox360 the other day and was quite impressed, but i've heard that the PS3 is going to be alot better, is this true?

I was playing a Xbox360 the other day and was quite impressed, but i've heard that the PS3 is going to be alot better, is this true?

Unknown until at least E3... but i wouldn't count on it. After sounding really cool early on all the recent rumours about the PS3 have been pretty depressing. Personally I think sony are having major troubles getting it to be as impressive as they want and not cost the earth... mostly down to blueray.

Basically:

The CPU is more impressive, but probably harder to code for.

The graphics chip is a little more powerful than the 360 but not as elegant.

CPU has very little effect on graphics compared to GPU.

So my personal opinion is that there isn't going to be that big of a difference graphics-wise between the 360 and the PS3.. certainly not one that will blow people away or make it worth paying 599 euros.

Later in the lifecycle, once the programmers learn to exploit the true power of the PS3 cpu and the full grunt of its gpu then its games might stretch ahead of the 360. Maybe.

ANyway, if you have a mate in the business then why aren't you getting a Revolution????? Seems to me it would be a better complement to a 360 than a PS3... of course you might be getting all three :(

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/04/05/scee-vp-says-ps3-will-cost-499-to-599-euros/

thats alot of money...and thats euros, if it was in CAD it would be 702.221 CAD to 842.947 CAD or for the US; 608.954 USD to 730.989 USD...yikes, this better not be true, if it is, im going w/ the revolution.

Damn, and that's probably without the hard drive. So another 100 or so, and the game itself. Holy crap we're looking at 1000+ with the taxes (CDN) :(.

I guess I'll stick with the Revo, playing FPS games would be damn fun. :blast5:

Even though I got an Xbox 360 this past March, part of me wishes I waited until all three of the new consoles come out so I can pick one. This past generation I had all three consoles and it felt like overkill when the Gamecube was the most neglected. For the most part, most multiplatform games on the 360 and PS3 should look about the same and the Nintendo Revolution will have games that no other console can handle. Kinda like the games that work really well on the DS but wouldn't fit on the PSP.

I wouldn't pay $500 for a game console though even if it had a new movie format attached to it. The HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray fight will only hurt the consumer and most people will stick with DVD for at least 5 more years.

Archived