Home

New Malee idea and maybe a malee thread in general.

I figured since the two primary things I want done with the saber system: 1. adding the new disarm move that uses the saberlock anims and 2. adding keshires blocking animations; will take a while to implement, I figured I'd see how the community likes this idea:

1. Add a manual block to pure malee.Blocking could also make the maleer lose less DP when dodging a saber (maybe).

2. Make the DP meter a stamina meter in pure malee. When youre low on DP you move alot slower.

3. Each move in malee, punch, kick, and grapple will cost different amounts of DP: punch will cost the least, kick alot more, and grapple will cost the most.

4. Running will deplete DP much faster than walking. If you get hit when your running by another maleer, you lose alot more DP.

5. Eventually, we could possibly add keshire's malee moves as well for more variaty. His animations have a block as well.

The purpose of this idea is to give malee more strategy, make a block in malee make sense, and just make it cooler in general. It would also incourage players to do more toe to toe fighting as well.

I talked with razor alittle about this idea and he said that he would think about it. What does everyone else think?

I know Razor's been too busy to do much work and things have died down a bit, but lets see some more action on these forums! LOL! :p

I know I mentioned melee ideas to you but let me refine them a bit. ;)

Add a level 0 saber style thats available to everyone.

Make it melee.

This would enable:

8 Directional/Chainable attacks with transitions

5 possible blocking positions

Melee Versus Melee "Saber" Locks

Possibility of Melee Versus Saber Locks.

Essentially, add a saber style, remove the saber, have it use melee damage trace.

Move the current melee kata's to the saber lock section.

If this was MB2. It'd allow for Melee MBlocks, and Scripted Locks(Which is a very nice system for interactive animations as a whole).

If certain things turn out the way I hope. I'll be back and would like to intermingle a little more with Razor an OJP as a whole. ;)

Guest JRHockney
Well, maybe, but where can I see these animations, made by Keshire.

You can find them here: http://pcgamemods.com/mod/8711.html but you might have to use modview(which I can't get to work) or something like that to see them. I think some of them might also be in JA+ but I can't remember.

I know I mentioned melee ideas to you but let me refine them a bit.

Add a level 0 saber style thats available to everyone.

Make it melee.

This would enable:

8 Directional/Chainable attacks with transitions

5 possible blocking positions

Melee Versus Melee "Saber" Locks

Possibility of Melee Versus Saber Locks.

Essentially, add a saber style, remove the saber, have it use melee damage trace.

Move the current melee kata's to the saber lock section.

Yeah, I still think these ideas are great, but how ever their done, they would have to be well balanced with the existing Enhanced saber system. If that could be done, that would rule!

If certain things turn out the way I hope. I'll be back and would like to intermingle a little more with Razor an OJP as a whole.

I would love to see that. I've seen so much potential with OJP and alot of it has been limited because nobody here really knows how to animate very well and razor's had to do just about everything himself in between homework assignments. I hope Razor likes this idea as well so we can see some pro collaboration.

And it's good to see you on this forum again, kesh. I hope you like what we've done with Enhanced so far.

ive noticed with newer melee code you can actually turn and look odd with the special moves... try kicking and then turning it should still let you look around and do specials, even when you've grabbed someone...

also how about fixing it so it defaults to forward kick / jumpkick if in air. and make it so you dont see the melee anim/sound b4 it kicks, because sometimes you hear the sound twice.

Well I'd like some movement restrictions while attacking if this was to be done.

ei, no run+attack. In a melee system thats just hokey. The movement needs to be animation based. And Full Body.

I myself would like to see the player swivel in the direction he's attacking. Similar to how the yellow overhead flip attack changes your orientation as you attack.

So if your facing forward and press the left attack key it'll swivel you left as you attack. Granted something like that would need testing to see if it's viable. Otherwise we can just go with a combo system like the current sabers use.

For blocking, Only usable versus other meleers. Otherwise you should be toast.

As far as enhanced. When I get time I'll check out the latest version.

Hello Keshire, its good to see you around.

While I like the idea of a completely new melee combat style, I think there needs to be some reflect about how useful it would be in the mod. Beyond the cool factor, is this really something that would be used in the game? I mean with the amount of effort we're talking here, we could just add an additional saber style or something completely different.

Thats a very good argument. And it's all really just a matter of how much of a combat advantage you want to give it. It's only as useful as you make it.

The real question would be how often are players without a gun or saber? I'm not sure on how you have the specifics of that setup. If your disarmed though you should at least have a fighting chance other than running.

And with the current running 2-punch system. It seems like more of a burden to keep when your making everything else more tactical and realistic.

The suggestion should be sound. At the end of the day it's up to you if you think it'd be a worthwhile addition. I'm certainly willing to put in the work. And I'm sure a lot of other mods would enjoy the system as well. Which I can't really deny is my main motive. (ie MB2)

The suggestion should be sound. At the end of the day it's up to you if you think it'd be a worthwhile addition. I'm certainly willing to put in the work. And I'm sure a lot of other mods would enjoy the system as well. Which I can't really deny is my main motive. (ie MB2)

Hmm, well this is an open project that can be used by other mods, so this probably is the best place to create this. I say go for it because it will really be a solid endeaver if it may very well be used by other mods (which is always a good feeling). Having it become apart of the mighty MB2 would be quite an accomplishment for OJP, and JA+ would probably want it too.

And keshire, if it is successful, I how you will still consider doing some other animation work for OJP as well.

Also, for this idea, you might want to consider making its benefits buyable. Such as having level 1 being the weakest and almost impossible to use against gunners or saberists, and level 2 or 3, being the strongest, maybe more moves, and more easier to use against gunners and saberists. This might be cool for both Enhanced and MB2 and help keep the balance.

Even if I did impliment, it's doubtful that MB2 would port it in. Since the code split, there's been hardly any exchange between the two code bases. Also, I'm not sure that MB2 even had the coder manpower to port the code since Phunk and Cerberous both retired.

Also, for this idea, you might want to consider making its benefits buyable. Such as having level 1 being the weakest and almost impossible to use against gunners or saberists, and level 2 or 3, being the strongest, maybe more moves, and more easier to use against gunners and saberists. This might be cool for both Enhanced and MB2 and help keep the balance.

Not sure, as you know, we haven't really discussed how we're going to handle the skill system or point distribution yet.

Even if I did impliment, it's doubtful that MB2 would port it in. Since the code split, there's been hardly any exchange between the two code bases. Also, I'm not sure that MB2 even had the coder manpower to port the code since Phunk and Cerberous both retired.

Well, they do have Emiel Regis and AC :: Cobra to do coding. I'm sure their compatant enough to port it. I mean B18 is probably coming out fairly soon and someone had to code the changes in that, right?

Also, if the MB team knows that keshire designed these new features with MB2 in mind, they might be a little more open to porting them. I think their already applying his saberlock animations for B18.

Not sure, as you know, we haven't really discussed how we're going to handle the skill system or point distribution yet.

Yeah, I know. Just thinkin ahead.

• 3 weeks later...
Being the Melee fan that I am, I think it'd be great to see a new and more advanced Melee system in OJP. :)

I agree, but it will have to wait until the school semester is over because Razor is very busy and has no time to implement anything big at the moment. When it is over, I think we are planning to work with Keshire to implement his ideas and animations...well, at least thats what me and Razor talked about doing. Plans may have changed since then.

Archived