Home

LAN Games - Step by Step Guide (Image Heavy)

popcorn2008

We have had multiple problems concerning LAN games, and so I decided to create a helpful step by step guide on how to configure Windows Firewall, Set up Network Protocals, and many other various LAN tasks. I will continue to add to this guide and to provide players with tips and tricks on how to play a successful Empire at War LAN game.

Stay Tuned! I will soon be posting steps on how to set up a LAN network.

Last Updated: 04/07/2006

Step One

StepOne.png

First off, you need to access Windows Firewall. Go to your Start Menu and then push on the Control Panel Button. Easy enough, right :D?

Step Two

StepTwo.png

If your Control Panel appears like the one in the above picture then it will be helpful to switch to "Classical View." To do this simply press the link that is inside the red square in the image.

Step Three

StepThree.png

Now that your Control Panel is in "Classical View" simply push the Windows Firewall Icon in the red sqaure in the above image.

Step Four

StepFour.png

Okay, now the above screen should pop up. This next step depends on your personal preferences. Me, personally, I have a different firewall I use (Norton) so I went ahead and disabled Windows Firewall. This is probably the most easiest way to get Empire at War playing, but it may not be the safest.

You could disable the firewall, play, and then re-enable. But many would consider this a hassle.

If you don't want to disable, then you will have to use "Exceptions". Push the "Exceptions" tag, in the red square, at the top of the window.

Step Five

StepFive.png

First the window to your left should appear. Push the "Add Program" button. Then the window to your right will appear. Go down the list of programs and select, "Play Star Wars Empire At War" and then push OK. Now that program should be added to your exceptions, now push OK in the left most window.

Exceptions are not full proof. I would recommend you check the box called "Display a Notification when Windows Firewall blocks a program". This means that even if the exception we just made doesnt work, that Windows Firewall will make a pop-up appear when Empire at War tries to make a LAN game.

When/If this pop-up appears just push the button saying allow access to the network.

Now, Windows Firewall should be completely setup and ready to work.

If you have anymore questions about this guide, please post them here. Next time I will add steps on how to get a network itself up and running.

• 1 month later...

Although, i already knew how to do this, i want to thank you for making it to help many people play empire at war without flaws. However, I have an important question for you. When trying to play a LAN game at my house with any program, I can see the other computer in the lobby, and the game that they create, however they cannot see me on their computer. My firewall is off and has an exception, the other computer has a firewall on(kept on by group settings at work), However it has an exception. What can i do so that i can play LAN?

• 2 years later...

I have run EAW and FOC on windows XP as a LAN, its great! But I can't get it to work with my new Vista Laptop. My game sees all the other entrants, but they can't see me.

I've tried everything possible to get it to work, including turning off the windows firewall and McAfee security software I'm running. I've run the game in administrator mode and still no dice.

I haven't actually found anyone discussing the playabilty of the game on a vista LAN anywhere, but here's as good a place to start as any.

Thanks.

• 5 years later...

Archived