Home

Definitive Steve Purcell Comic List

SyntheticGerbil

Okay I think I have an idea of what comics by Steve Purcell you should waste your time and money with because I think I've read almost all he has done.

Note that I don't really care about bad comics he did pencils or inks or covers early on for Marvel and whoever as part of their ****ty assembly line process for creating. I don't think that's how comics should be made.

Okay so what's good:

Sam and Max and Toybox are both comics where he does everything except the lettering. Sam and Max is well covered and Toybox has two different stories found in Fast Forward issue 3 and The Hellboy Christmas Special. These are all must buys.

Also there are three short comics where Steve Purcell simply writes. Gumby's Winter Fun Special is easy to find and worth it. Gumby goes to hell and there are mole people. The art is done by Arthur Adams and it looks really nice and epic considering the material. It's the only good thing ever involving Gumby.

There's also Rusty Razorclam which is issue 107 of Dark Horse Presents. It's easy to find and it's one of two stories Mike Mignola illustrated and Steve Purcell wrote. It's a really short story, but it has the same kind of spacey (not like outer space) and clever writing Purcell is well known for.

The next Mignola issue with Purcell is Batman Villians 2005 which is mostly garbage considering Batman sucks and so does his lengthy drama queen villians with pages of useless origins. But a good bulk of the issue has Mignola's pencils (good as usual) and Purcell's weird brand on a story about Clayface. The story seems to have the atmosphere of Frank Miller's garbage, but when you read the dialogue it's like the Adam West show. "Look at it's face, Robin! It's like a lump of boat putty or spackle or clay or something!" "Eewww! He's clay all over!" Get it okay.

The last thing that you might want to get is the six issue series called Defenders of Dynatron City that Purcell wrote for Marvel in 1992. He also did a couple of covers, but this comic is mostly unfunny garbage. Maybe I laughed a few times, but I can't remember why. I'm not sure if the writing is bad because it's a commisioned work for some obscure ****ty Lucas Arts game adaptation or what, but Purcell either intentionally wrote deadpan or just wasn't into it. I'd like to hear more myself on why this bad comic was made.

And that's it. I want more comics.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived