Home

old SWG mix N Matched with NGE?

Guest DarthMaulUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

Having read through some of the posts on the official forums, it does strike me that alot of the old Galaxies is coming back - although keeping the terrible FPS style combat. This is backed up by this new 'Expertise' system (ahla skill trees). They also bring in the levelling system and now want to change that as well.

Some examples.

We’re going to alter the combat engine to place primary importance on player equipment instead of player level. This means that acquiring better equipment will be of great importance

So bringing back the old weapon level system so it WILL matter what weapon you have - unlike now.

While some basic skills will be passed out as part of the standard progression, the expertise system will be the primary mechanism by which most new abilities will be granted. This way you should see a wide variety of class builds.

Actually, it works pretty good when you have stats (or "skill mods" for lack of better terminology) like "Dodge" and "Accuracy". If my "Dodge" or "Agility" (or whatever you want to call it) skill is very high and your accuracy is very low, you might still miss me even if you had your cross hairs on me (Glancing Blow). This way, characters builds and equipment become more important in combat, which is something the community has been asking for.

I really am left totally confused by the games direction (lack there of) and to keep making such sweeping changes across the game. Heres an idea - Lets get it right first time and then let the game settle?!

NGE was totally rushed, as we all know but yet these nig changes keep coming along. It seems to me that these guys are trying to build something without any kind of plan set out.

DMUK

I kinda disagree with you this time DMUK :p I believe they DO have a good plan, the publish plan, and they've begun to understand how to properly run a good game.

They should've kept CU while NGE was under development, and then they should have released NGE early 2007.

Guest DarthMaulUK

I still fail to see any proof. If you look back in the Jedi Archives, you will see promise after promise broken - look at the Smuggler revamp that never happened.

They can keep 'saying' what they are gonna do but until its live, I wont believe a word they say.

DMUK

I still fail to see any proof. If you look back in the Jedi Archives, you will see promise after promise broken - look at the Smuggler revamp that never happened.

They can keep 'saying' what they are gonna do but until its live, I wont believe a word they say.

DMUK

This is exactly what I have said all along. Until it's live, I won't believe a word the Dev's say.

Now the Dev's have a roadmap? A roadmap that they admit may/can change along the way. Each publish is taking a good 3+ months to go live. From what I have seen reported, each publish is still being released bugged to hell and taking a good 3 months to de-bug... and even then aren't completely bug free. At this rate we'll be lucky to see them complete the next 3 reported publishes by the end of the year.

I'm sorry but for a MMOG that is turning 3 years old this summer, that just isn't good enough. We all know that and the Dev's know that regardless of what they say.

And if it isn't enough, people will have to sit back and worry that SWG won't be fully over-hauled a third time... Just isn't worth my time and money.

This is exactly what I have said all along. Until it's live, I won't believe a word the Dev's say.

Now the Dev's have a roadmap? A roadmap that they admit may/can change along the way. Each publish is taking a good 3+ months to go live. From what I have seen reported, each publish is still being released bugged to hell and taking a good 3 months to de-bug... and even then aren't completely bug free. At this rate we'll be lucky to see them complete the next 3 reported publishes by the end of the year.

I'm sorry but for a MMOG that is turning 3 years old this summer, that just isn't good enough. We all know that and the Dev's know that regardless of what they say.

And if it isn't enough, people will have to sit back and worry that SWG won't be fully over-hauled a third time... Just isn't worth my time and money.

Agreed..just cause it says star wars om the tin doesnt make it star wars

they're actually listening to the players this time.

Im thinking that its more the loss of player base aka money that did it for them. Now they have to listen to us to get the player base back.

To the topic, I dont trust a word that they say. As far as I can remember they've been telling the players that they've got a plan to make SWG "better" through every publishe thats gone live. So what they say doesn't mean $#@%. These new publishes don't seem to have direction either. It is almost as if they want to bring back the old game without admitting that the NGE was a mistake.

to be fair ive heard this saying quite a lot, including in this forum "they are actually listening to players", but when it comes down to it you cant please eveyone and it seems some people just complain cause its a habit nowadays, obviously SOE have been listening to the players quite a bit while at the same time listening to the people they pay to do this game, nothing more to say:)

yeah except for jedi. the bounty hunters that are gonna win are those that have mastered the art of killing jedi, don't think anything else would pose much of a challenge, unless it's another jedi-killing bounty hunter. but then, i could be wrong.

Archived