Home

The Ebon Hawk; whose ship is it really? SPOILERS!!

shinyjedi

The secret narrator.

We talk a whole lot about Kriea the conniver in these forums, but T3 starts the game pretty high up the intelligence scale and is quite the little manipulator himself.

Remember, in the prelude it's T3 who gets the ship running and flies it to Peragus. In fact, Kriea and the exile are the only meatbags there, the rest are all droids.

On Peragus you learn that T3 shuts HIMSELF down. He remains so until the exile calls for him. At which point he finds a way to get the exile off the admin level. Okay, not a great way off, but a way off. (T3 gets THREE solo missions in TSL)

It’s T3 who, unordered, and while held by Atris and the handmaidens, finds the locations of the Jedi Masters and the recording of the exile’s trial aftermath.

It's T3 who gets the goods (entirely on his own, to include finding an accomplice) to get to G0-T0's yacht without any of the crew knowing what he's up to or even that he’s up to anything. An adventure during which he takes down--solo--the same number of HK50s that only a few levels earlier Exile, Kriea, and Atton together had their hands full with.

And when HK starts asking uncomfortable questions? T3 tunes him up and we hear no more about it. HK even later tells the exile that T3 should continue to provide all astrogation functions. Anybody starting to get suspicious yet?

T3 admits to the exile that he’s the one who locked the navicomputer, doesn’t he? And then claims to have deleted the memory of the reason from his own memory core.

In the shyrack cave, T3 appears as one of your allies arrayed against Kriea? T3? He's a droid! A tool! Isn't he?

How about the cut content? Originally you’re supposed to find out that it was T3 who’s been scouring the galaxy for the scattered pieces of HK47. How was he doing that?

Playing dark side? Try and sell T3, see how THAT works out for you.

G0-T0s break from the republic and its subsequent rise to become a major exchange crime boss in order to conform to the primary goal of its programming provides the final clue.

The question....okay, the gripe that keeps coming up everywhere is “how did the exile get the Hawk?” Hmm....Well, he got it from Kriea, or so it seems at first. The question should be “how did Kriea” get the Hawk. Always assuming she did in fact, get it.

See, she shows no particularly possessive feelings toward it, and speaks of her journey to find the exile almost as though she’d been a passenger. (She considers droids as little more than furniture, but speaks of “we” when telling the exile of the boarding of the Harbinger to affect the exile’s rescue.) Almost as though she still considers the Hawk Reven’s ship and under the control of Reven’s crew. Later, she suffers an outburst concerning Reven’s love for and extensive use of droids. Kind of bitter considering her hatred of the force, and the droids’ utter lack of it, no? You’d think she’d be better disposed toward droids. Unless, of course, she had another axe on the grinder concerning droids, or one in particular, at least.

And then, with the exile supposedly dead, when Kriea and Brianna return to Telos, they do so on a ship other than the Ebon Hawk. Why? It’s pretty evident that they could have taken it if they’d wanted. You find Atton laid out on the ground, after all. Almost as if Kriea hadn’t even tried to commandeer the ship. Or perhaps because she knew for sure she couldn’t? Like she knew categorically that the Hawk’s TRUE captain wouldn’t cooperate and that she couldn’t force him to short of destroying him, which would still leave her stranded and certainly weaker given his strength.

With all these clues, is it really so hard to figure out? The one character really driving TSL is the li’l tin Jedi (and the source of my username, I must admit)

T3 obviously decided, at some point, to stop waiting for Reven and follow his secondary orders. I mean, you watch the holo and see Carth/Bastilla giving instructions to T3 on how to act when/if Reven gets into trouble! So T3 waits patiently until he figures it's been long enough, fires the old scow up and goes looking for help.

We can only surmise how Kriea came into the picture; perhaps she was the first choice for rescuer, but T3 then realized how flawed she was. Time for plan B. Now who was that seemingly ruthless jedi Reven had talked about that time? The one who saw duty above all else? The one who’d given the final order at Malachor and had been so damaged by the darkness that had ensued? Perhaps such a one would be able where this old woman wasn’t? After all, duty had been something Reven had understood well. And to a droid, wasn’t duty god itself?

If the Ebon Hawk appears in K3, there won’t be any real question as to how it gets into the hands of the PC. It will be provided by the Hawk’s “captain” just like it was in K2. The bigger question will be, does the PC ever figure out who’s really in charge?

ye T3 rules! maybe hes uncovered some hidden plotline or something for K3 like Revan is working through T3 that would make a lot of sence like GOTO that might be 1 of the big things in K3. But he's doing it all for Revan because droids are loyal so why doesnt he got and talk to carth and basitla about it?

I'd wondered about Mandalore myself. You'll note that he also fails to recognize HK47. Perhaps he's one of those who consider droids furniture and can't or can't be bothered to tell them apart. I mean, apart from paint, how DO you tell one utility droid from another?

There was a utility droid on the Hawk during the prelude with the same physical appearance as T3. There was another on Citadel Station, and another on Nar Shadda.

It's kind of obvious that I wasn't suggesting Mandalore couldn't tell T3 from HK47. Gimme a break here and try not to be deliberately obtuse.

But if you didn't see them as anything more than tools, would you notice the difference between two of T3's archtype, particularly if you hadn't seen him in 5 years or so? Remember, other than that single mission, T3 didn't do much interacting in K1. He didn't even talk much.

Other than paint and personality, what sets HK47 apart from the HK50s? I'll give you a hint: the parts are largely interchangable. I'm guessing that, when it comes to non-weapon systems, they all look alike to good ol' Canderous.

Snark if you will; the theory is no sillier than many, and far less silly than, for instance, pretty much ANYthing G0-T0 does in the game.

:nut: "you must save the galaxy, but I'm afraid you'll have to do it from inside that force cage, since I cannot allow you to leave. And, by the way, I'm not going to call off the bounty hunters who are out to kill you, since....er....I forgot.... uhm.... the phone number! Yeah, that's the ticket! The phone number!" :nut:

I don't think T3 is a "master manipulator", he's just a spoof off of R2(in my opinion) He is always there to save everyones @$$, but he's not really a manipulator. Also doesn't it say somewhere in the game that Revan left T3 the ship when he went out into the outer rim?That is also sort of enforced by your picture. He isn't bad however. And droids aren't just tools, how dare you, they have some emotion and faithfulness. I do like you theory still.

I've never once said T3 is bad! Quite the contrary. But he does have an agenda, and he does pursue it steadfastly.

edit: it occurs to me that, while I allow for both sexes regarding the identity of the PC, I invariably refer to T3 as "he". How DOES one sex a non-humanoid droid?

Well, when it comes to R2 and 3PO, R2 is definitely the "male" of the relationship!!!

But in general I do think the gender programming thingy is usually applied to only communication droids and such (ok, pleasure droids too but thats different)

As for T3 being "the one" behind everything, that is quite an interesting theory. Though I think T3 as the one with a specific instruction by an unknown party, rather than some "tin can jedi/sith" You don't have to be FS to be great!

Very interesting idea. It will definately give me something to think about when I finally start a new game (with the Restoration project and M4-78 installed)

However, some points I would like to make regarding this all:

In the shyrack cave, T3 appears as one of your allies arrayed against Kriea? T3? He's a droid! A tool! Isn't he?

He is also one of the four characters that have joined your party no matter what prior to Korriban. The first four characters to join are; Kreia, Atton, Bao-dur, and T3... Atton, bao-dur and T3 are the first to array themselves against Kreia, followed by everyone else who has joined your party (if there is anyone else).

The fact that T3 is a droid has nothing to do with this scene. Think of Mira, or visas, or the disciple, do they say anything in the beginning of that conversation? They aren't droids, and yet they don't show up early on in that scene.

And also, the developers originally intended that after Atton says "guess again, Kreia", that *everyone* in your party comes in... (I don't recall seeing Hk, Mandalore, Hanharr, or others in that scene when I played games where they were already recruited) so, if you're asking why HK wasn't in that scene at all, just bear in mind, he wasn't the only one who got taken out.

How about the cut content? Originally you’re supposed to find out that it was T3 who’s been scouring the galaxy for the scattered pieces of HK47. How was he doing that?

This wasn't really that hard to figure out, seeing as T3 was the only character in the game who a) knew about hk, b) had a use for him, and c) was on the Ebon Hawk at the beginning of the game (seeing as HK's body could be found as early on as once you recieve the Ebon Hawk on Peragus, this is very important).

Playing dark side? Try and sell T3, see how THAT works out for you.

Do you mean selling him on Nar Shadaa, and then leaving the planet, to finish up all the other planets first? Or do you mean just selling him, and then continuing on with Nar Shadaa?

Because I've sold him before and completed Nar Shadaa, and nothing important really happens. Everything just goes about as it would have if I didn't sell him. (funny too, you don't seem to lose any influence with him after he rejoins your group at the end of Nar Shadaa)

And then, with the exile supposedly dead, when Kriea and Brianna return to Telos, they do so on a ship other than the Ebon Hawk. Why? It’s pretty evident that they could have taken it if they’d wanted. You find Atton laid out on the ground, after all. Almost as if Kriea hadn’t even tried to commandeer the ship. Or perhaps because she knew for sure she couldn’t? Like she knew categorically that the Hawk’s TRUE captain wouldn’t cooperate and that she couldn’t force him to short of destroying him, which would still leave her stranded and certainly weaker given his strength.

Uh... she left the Ebon Hawk alone because she wanted the Exile to follow her to Malachor, and then follow Revan's path into the unknown regions. The Ebon Hawk was the only ship with the information of where Revan had gone, if she took that from the exile, don't you think it'd be a little hard to follow after Revan? ;)

We can only surmise how Kriea came into the picture; perhaps she was the first choice for rescuer, but T3 then realized how flawed she was. Time for plan B. Now who was that seemingly ruthless jedi Reven had talked about that time? The one who saw duty above all else? The one who’d given the final order at Malachor and had been so damaged by the darkness that had ensued? Perhaps such a one would be able where this old woman wasn’t? After all, duty had been something Reven had understood well. And to a droid, wasn’t duty god itself?

Although this is an interesting observation, I believe you are forgetting something...

*(Major spoiler warning)*

The Exile's trial was private knowledge, it was locked away in the jedi archives, hidden from the public eye. However, Atris intentually 'leaked' this information out to the Republic, and then arranged for the exile to be carried to Telos by the Harbinger.

She did this because she wanted the sith to reveal themselves, and she thought that a jedi would be the greatest bait to lure them out with. However, because of her own carelessness (she was the one who leaked information about the jedi travelling to kataar, hoping that the sith would reveal themselves there. Unfortunately they did, and Nihillus laid waste to the entire planet), she was now the 'last of the jedi', and couldn't risk herself by letting the sith know where she was. Therefor, she used the exile as bait.

Judging by her reaction when you arrive on Telos, and when she tells you all of this at the end of the game, I doubt she anticipated you'd survive the sith's attack when they came for you on the harbinger.

Anyway, because of what Atris had done, every mercenary and bounty hunter in the galaxy knew almost everything about you already. HK even comments about how a holovid of the exile could be found practically everywhere on coruscant... which leads me to believe that it wasn't Revan that informed T3 about the exile...

And judging by how T3 was so set on repairing HK, and recoverring droids, I don't think it was his initial idea to seek out the exile in the first place.

Which leads me to this... Kreia has always been interested in the exile if you listen to her dialogue. And she makes it clear that the exile is her last hope at training a jedi as great as Revan. She admits that she has used you since the moment you awoke from the kolto tank, and had always known how it all must end...

I believe that it was in fact Kreia who sought out the exile, while T3 sought out as many droids as possible to aid in Revan's rescue.

I believe that Kreia snuck on board the Ebon Hawk, and using the same tactics she had used to shield herself from the disciple and the jedi masters, she shielded herself from the droids.

The odd thing about it all is though, that neither kreia, nor T3 seem to remember each other... at least, I've never seen any dialogue where they talk about knowing each other at all. So, if kreia shielded herself from the droids, how did she not notice T3? How did she use the Ebon Hawk to find the exile?

Anyway, my point is this... While T3 was trying to build up a group to search for Revan, he was doing so with what appeared to be only droids. T3 would have no way of knowing about kreia, as when Revan left, he/she still remembered only bits and pieces of their past, not enough to give accurate biographies of people from his/her past... only images, at least that's what carth leads you to believe when you speak to him in-game.

It appears to be kreia that was searching for the exile, so that she could use the 'last of the jedi' to spread her teachings.

However, if you think about it... who really is the true manipulator in this game? Atris manipulates the exile's return to bring an end to the sith, while Kreia manipulates the exile's path to get revenge on Nihillus and Sion, and stop Atris from becoming Darth Traya.

T3 downloads the information of the Jedi Masters, and the exile's trial in order to send the exile on a journey to reunite the jedi order.

Hell, even Mandalore (Canderous) isn't completely honest with the exile at first. He recognizes the Ebon Hawk right away, but when you talk to him about it, he smuggly says nothing about the ship, other than "this looks like a nice ship, where'd you get it?". And the reason for Mandalore to join your group is so that he can rebuild the mandalorian clans.

G0-t0 'uses' you to restabalize the republic, and reprograms bao-dur's remote to not do anything when the exile gives the command to destroy malachor...

who's the real manipulator? It's hard to say, everyone in this game has an agenda, everyone wants to use you to achieve some higher purpose. I think the true villain of the game isn't necessarilly Kreia, or atris, or nihillus, or even sion... The true enemy in this game is everyone around you, and you must decide whether you will submit to them, and give in to whatever they want, whether it be reuniting their clan, or becoming a greater jedi.

You decide who the true enemy is, you decide what you do about them. You decide who is trying to manipulate you, and you decide who you will manipulate to achieve whatever it is you're after.

Re: the scene in the shyrack cave

The fact that T3 is a droid has nothing to do with this scene. Think of Mira, or visas, or the disciple, do they say anything in the beginning of that conversation? They aren't droids, and yet they don't show up early on in that scene.

A valid point. It doesn't, however, go one way or another regarding the T3 as captain of the Ebon Hawk theory. I suppose it would depand on what meaning you give to the meeting. Is is Kriea projecting, or the Exile's inner mind sorting? The answer to that question would shed light on the meaning of T3's appearance. (always barring it just being the devs' desire to get as many sure fire NPCs in as possible and hang the story)

Re: T3 gathering the bits of HK47,

This wasn't really that hard to figure out, seeing as T3 was the only character in the game who a) knew about hk, b) had a use for him, and c) was on the Ebon Hawk at the beginning of the game (seeing as HK's body could be found as early on as once you recieve the Ebon Hawk on Peragus, this is very important).

The point remains that it was T3 gathering him up, a task which would have been nigh impossible had he been merely a passenger or handy power tool. The fact that he was able to gather the pieces up indicates a certain degree of control regarding destinations and activities while at those destinations.

Re: selling T3:

Do you mean selling him on Nar Shadaa, and then leaving the planet, to finish up all the other planets first? Or do you mean just selling him, and then continuing on with Nar Shadaa?

Because I've sold him before and completed Nar Shadaa, and nothing important really happens. Everything just goes about as it would have if I didn't sell him. (funny too, you don't seem to lose any influence with him after he rejoins your group at the end of Nar Shadaa)

The point is that he DOES rejoin the party. See, normally if you sell something, it's gone. T3 refuses to stay sold

Re: Kriea not taking the Hawk back to Telos

Uh... she left the Ebon Hawk alone because she wanted the Exile to follow her to Malachor, and then follow Revan's path into the unknown regions. The Ebon Hawk was the only ship with the information of where Revan had gone, if she took that from the exile, don't you think it'd be a little hard to follow after Revan? ;)

Another point that might or might not be valid. I'm still trying to work out how she gets from Dantooine to Telos at all when the EH is the only ship around bigger than a speeder. Is there transstellar force teleportation that I don't know about?

In any case, had she been able, there was no particular reason not to take the EH to Malachor. If the Exile died or didn't show up, she'd have the EH to troll for another candidate. If the Exile did show up, there would be the EH with all the nav data right there handy. Not that Exile could access it anyway. Were YOU able to in any of your playthroughs? I sure couldn't In going through the whole mess again, I still think my scenerio the more likely. Even given that Kriea's motives might not have been as pure as you credit them. I'm not entirely sure her plan wasn't to kill the Exile in the end. Going after Revan doesn't really spell the end of the force to me, and that had always been Kriea's goal right up until you "save" her in the final scene.

Re: the Exile's trial.

<snippage>

She did this because she wanted the sith to reveal themselves, and she thought that a jedi would be the greatest bait to lure them out with. However, because of her own carelessness (she was the one who leaked information about the jedi travelling to kataar, hoping that the sith would reveal themselves there. Unfortunately they did, and Nihillus laid waste to the entire planet), she was now the 'last of the jedi', and couldn't risk herself by letting the sith know where she was. Therefor, she used the exile as bait.

<snippage>

Anyway, because of what Atris had done, every mercenary and bounty hunter in the galaxy knew almost everything about you already. HK even comments about how a holovid of the exile could be found practically everywhere on coruscant...

Not trying to be the pot calling the kettle black here or anything, but that's a lot of conjecture crammed into a fairly tight space :)

True, the trial was private. The bit of holo T3 reveals was even more so. There's no indication anywhere that any of that bit existed anywhere but in Atris' private archives. There is no indication at all, anywhere that suggests Atris leaked the jedi meeting on Kataar, or that she was even attempting to draw the enemy out at that time. Keep in mind that, when Nihilous ate Kataar, Atris wasn't even close to being the last of the jedi. While it is possible that the reason she missed the meeting was foreknowledge, there isn't anything even vaguely resembling proof in that respect.

Her confession makes it pretty clear that she's the one who lured the Exile back into Republic space and then leaked the info of Exile's existance to all and sundry, but I rather doubt the holos released had anything to do with the trial. More likely just a simple still showing the Exile's likeness with the logo "here's a jedi for ya" or something similar.

In any case, the entire reason I mentioned the incident had nothing really to do with the actual snippet of information gleaned, but more the fact that he gleaned it. T3, throughout the game, exibits a level of independant will all out of proportion to his supposed status, and this was just another example of it.

which leads me to believe that it wasn't Revan that informed T3 about the exile...

Nor have I yet suggested that T3 is even working under Revan's orders. I believe Revan parked the EH, with T3 aboard and said something like: "wait here, I'll be back in a jiffy." I further believe that, after waiting a few jiffys and a couple extra for good measure, T3 assumed that Revan was in trouble and defaulted to secondary command. At which point, the orders shown in the Carth/Bastilla holo kicked in. T3 might let everyone believe he's still following Revan's orders, but I think that if he were, he'd still be parked in low orbit somewhere out past the rim.

And judging by how T3 was so set on repairing HK, and recoverring droids, I don't think it was his initial idea to seek out the exile in the first place.

The only droid we have any evidence of regarding T3s ministrations is HK47. There is no proof anywhere that he was trying to gather up a force of droids beyond the one he knew had travelled with Revan before.

I believe that Kreia snuck on board the Ebon Hawk, and using the same tactics she had used to shield herself from the disciple and the jedi masters, she shielded herself from the droids.

Except that Kriea cannot cloud the minds of droids. She cannot even read them; she admits as much when she's teaching exile to read thoughts. Not only is she limited to organics, she seems unable to gather up much from aliens, as evidenced by Bao Dur.

The odd thing about it all is though, that neither kreia, nor T3 seem to remember each other... at least, I've never seen any dialogue where they talk about knowing each other at all. So, if kreia shielded herself from the droids, how did she not notice T3? How did she use the Ebon Hawk to find the exile?

Why would Kriea know T3? Unless Revan rejoined Kriea (or vice versa) after the events of Kotor1, Kriea wouldn't ever have had anything to do with T3. And even then, would she have separated him out from the other "utility" droids on the ship? Or it could simply be that the only contact the two have had has been since the EH returned to Republic space with the little guy at the helm.

Anyway, my point is this... While T3 was trying to build up a group to search for Revan, he was doing so with what appeared to be only droids. T3 would have no way of knowing about kreia, as when Revan left, he/she still remembered only bits and pieces of their past, not enough to give accurate biographies of people from his/her past... only images, at least that's what carth leads you to believe when you speak to him in-game.

Again, no indication that T3 was even using droids other than HK47 and the few needed to help crew the ship (I can't remember exactly, but I think I counted 3 on board, not counting HK47; P3-CFD, and a couple of rubble piles that might have once been protocol droids). Kriea had been Revan's first teacher as well as his/her last. Whether T3 and Kriea had ever met prior to the search for the exile, it's arguably possible that T3 at least knew "of" her, as well as the exile. Remember, T3 had unfettered access to the ship's records for who knows how long before the game starts. There is also Revan's predaliction (which Kriea mentions) to get close to droids. Perhaps T3 was the "mirror" Revan spoke to, to get things off his/her chest. Perhaps T3 did a bit of research; remember, he was originally built as a security hacker, which task generally requires a bit of research ability.

The thing is, we'll never know (unless one of the writers 'fesses up) the hows or whys. I've just put together what I encountered in the game without relying on any more added but unsubstantiated information than was feasibly required.

However, if you think about it... who really is the true manipulator in this game? <much snippage>

who's the real manipulator? It's hard to say, everyone in this game has an agenda, everyone wants to use you to achieve some higher purpose. I think the true villain of the game isn't necessarilly Kreia, or atris, or nihillus, or even sion... .

These are all good points. The plot is wonderfully complex as are the motivations of your companions You have, however, not shown me anything to make me believe I was wrong.

hmmm intresting so atris was to blame for the downfall of the jedi(now i should have killed her) but T3 is a slimy one isnt he i mean he could just be working to get by, Or maybe these are just more loop holes and errors in TSL i mean it's made really fast so it was probally all acidental not trying 2 point figer but lucas arts rushed kotor2 alot!! And in the end there where so many errors! The storyline was weak and obvious they didnt show the characters right. All in All TSL shouldn't have done as well as it did because of the errors it made but KOTOR1 was good so people will buy the sequal TSL was good but was it that good?

Archived