Home

Strategic?

nas77

Hey everyone,

I'm considering whether or not E@W is worth getting. Read some reviews and the screenies look tempting, but then the "Is E@W losing it's thrill?" thread doesn't sound too promising. But what I wanted to know in particular is: is it actually strategic? I know it's labelled as an RTS but in playing it did you find yourself coming up with strategies and tactics, or was it more about mindlessly spreading your units across the map. Was it more like C&C or Civilization or buttering your toast in the morning?

Thanks

Guest DarthMaulUK

The game is worth getting. It hasnt the kind of depth of a pure strategy game but you can expect to have alot of fun, challenging maps, great space battles. With the Mod tools being released shortly, together with other announcements, 2006 will be a good year for EaW. Multiplayer is also a lot of fun, especially the land battles.

DMUK

If you're just looking for a strategy game to play by yourself, there are better choices out there. However, if you're even a casual Star Wars fan this is a must have. It's awesome to use the hero units on land and in space battles. The system of rock-paper-scisors and unit special abilities allow for several different sneaky tactics, while the brute force rush is still an option. It's not an empire building game, it's a fighting game. The tech tree is small, and the battles are supposed to be sudden and exciting, which I think they are.

Make sure you pay attention to the system requirements. EaW is really power hungry, and plays best on a higher-end machines (especially land battles).

All things considered, I would buy it again if I didn't already have it. I'm looking forward to an expansion and/or sequel.

I think it's most definitely worth getting--and I, for one, think the freeform galactic conquests give the SP side of things a high replayability factor if you're the kind of gamer who spreads out his gaming time instead of packing in a twelve-hour gaming bloc immediately after your purchase. Of course you'll run right through the game if you do that, but that's often true of games these days!

I find myself coming up against real strategic decisions often, especially on the galactic map. Of course you'll find yourself building a lot of mines early on, but it doesn't have the same peon-rushing feel of other RTS games. The galactic map/tactical battle integration is a really neat dynamic. The only lackluster thing strategy-wise is the game AI; you'll find yourself scrambling in the early stages of a conquest game on hard difficulty, but as you amass credits and forces, you will basically have a huge garrison fleet over every front-line planet. In the early stages, though, you may have to decide whether your forces should sacrifice that planet in favor of this one, whether taking the next world will spread you too thinly, or whether taking another world could give you tighter control of hyperspace lanes. I find it very satisfying from a strategic point of view, but the AI seems to slack off after the balance of technology and power shifts towards the player. Online, of course, you won't have this problem, and it's likely that an expansion or even community-generated mods will help things in that department. (Unfortunately, without the mod tools out yet, mods are limited to basically changing unit stats and all the stuff out there are just "OMFG the ATAT isn't totally unbeatable WTF make its health 100000000 and damage 999999" mods.)

Thanks for the info everyone. If it involves the sorts of decisions Wedge mentioned I probably will get it. But I'll wait till the price comes down as well. There will probably be an expansion pack somewhere down the line, so I'll wait till they bundle them together.

• 2 weeks later...

is a nice game but not worth $50- wait till cheaper. The game for me is not good because its too like C&C with SW units.Not real strategy but fun space battles and of course all the Sw units from movies and darth vader.

• 2 weeks later...

With the new expansion coming later this year, i am sure that strategic factor will rise greatly, with all the new customisation tools you can use (base placement etc) + new units and an entirely new faction - this will greatly deepen the original game.

• 2 weeks later...

I respect the moderator's view of this game, but I don't agree with their assessment. If you are planing to buy this game, I would wait until it costs $20 or less. There is almost no strategy in playing this game. Since the day it was released, the day I bought it, I have only played it four/five times... You will get board really fast.

I only come around here in hopes of finding a mod to spice it up a little. Unfortunately, there is no way to mod in new models.

I don't believe this! In the same sentence you claim that there's no strategy in the game, while at the same time admitting that you've only played it 4-5 times. If that's all you've played, how can you possibly know anything about the amount of strategizing needed? If you're looking for mods, go to FileFront or LucasFiles, don't loiter here.

I only come around here in hopes of finding a mod to spice it up a little. Unfortunately, there is no way to mod in new models.

Wrong... the mod tools have been out for some time now. How do you think Legacy of War added the SSD to their mod? Empireatwar.net is a discussion forum and part of Lucas forums, not a modding community.

Darth Anarch, brings up a good point. If you only played for 4-5 days than how do you even know what strategy is involved? The game does have quite a bit of strategy, even if you fail to see it.

Hey everyone,

I'm considering whether or not E@W is worth getting. Read some reviews and the screenies look tempting, but then the "Is E@W losing it's thrill?" thread doesn't sound too promising. But what I wanted to know in particular is: is it actually strategic? I know it's labelled as an RTS but in playing it did you find yourself coming up with strategies and tactics, or was it more about mindlessly spreading your units across the map. Was it more like C&C or Civilization or buttering your toast in the morning?

Thanks

Well it is fun at first but i think it gets boring pretty fast. If you want a game that you'll get bored of after 1-2 weeks this isn't the game for you. Secondly, you have to consider if you enjoy RTS games. If not then this is not the type of game for you. Thats my personal opinion, it gets boring fast.

Wrong... the mod tools have been out for some time now. How do you think Legacy of War added the SSD to their mod? Empireatwar.net is a discussion forum and part of Lucas forums, not a modding community.

Instresting, I never once said that this place was soley dedicated to modding. I wonder how many of your other statements are false acusations. Relax, this is only a game. I wouldn't be coming around here if I didn't think there is something intresting to see or talk about.

F.Y.I. - I played the 'Galactic Conquest' option four to five times. Yes, it gets tiresome fast.

Second, I did not see the 'Legacy of War' mod, so I deeply and humbly apologize.

Instresting, I never once said that this place was soley dedicated to modding. I wonder how many of your other statements are false acusations. Relax, this is only a game. I wouldn't be coming around here if I didn't think there is something intresting to see or talk about.

F.Y.I. - I played the 'Galactic Conquest' option four to five times. Yes, it gets tiresome fast.

Second, I did not see the 'Legacy of War' mod, so I deeply and humbly apologize.

By which rules of rhetoric is anything that Popcorn said in his post an accusation? Let alone a false accusation? No one has accused you of anything. He was merely informing you that you were wrong and the mod tools are indeed available.

This game is not a very strategic one, compared to others, is a simple put more units than the other.....i must admit space battles are good....but $50 is too much for this game.....lucas arts takes advantage of star wars fans.

Maybe the expantion will make it more fun.

THIS IS C&C WITH STAR WARS UNITS!!!!!!!AND A BAD C&C!!!!!

Archived