Home

My thoughts on MI4..

Ben31

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes this is another one of those mysteries.Thats a intresting interview and I have already read that before. I belive it is possible they came up with the whole murray idea. But at the back of my mind I remeber the interview in amiga power magazine and what ron gilbert said. I think about Ron Gilberts files on Monkley Island he left behind it contained all his scripts for the Monkey Island series and future cripts, his charcter designs, Puzzles, secrets ect he was not alowed to keep it and it reamined the property of lucasarts. I think maybe they still had it back then and they would only be human to have a little peep to see all his fantastic ideas maybe they still have his files to this day we will never no but it would be very intresting to have a look and see if all these secrets, myths, and rumers actual are true.

Any way Ben I think you should do the honours I think a vote is required is monkey Island 4 the game that ruined the series give us all a choice of all 4 games and lets see who thinks what. Maybe createing a new post just for it will get more people to vote on it.

Have you even stepped back and taken a look at yourself, Largo? You act like Ron Gilbert is the only person capable of coming up with genuinely excellent characters. Not that I'm saying Ron isn't most respectable, but the idolisation of him and the subsequent ignoring of others' skill and efforts is a little lame.

Murray wasn't in MI1 or MI2. Why is that so hard to accept? One would think that the interview above would put an end to it, but no — you still dispute it. I guess the ease with which Murray could have slotted into MI1 and MI2 is a testament to how well designed he is, though. :)

To comment on an earlier post though, I agree, the characters in MI4 were largely pretty bad. I mean, some were alright, but the majority of them were just completely unmemorable and I didn't really enjoy talking to them at all. In fact, pretty much everybody on Jambalaya was rubbish, and only a select few on Lucre/Melee were any good.

Largo, read these two articles:

http://www.scummbar.com/resources/articles/index.php?newssniffer=readarticle&article=1007

http://www.scummbar.com/resources/articles/index.php?newssniffer=readarticle&article=1008

Larry Ahern and Jonathon Ackley both confirm that they came up with the idea for Murray.

In the first one, he says "Too much new stuff and people complain it isn’t enough like the previous game, too much old stuff and people will say you just ripped off the first game." That epitomizes my thoughts earlier regarding new characters. This goes for the whole game too. Like he points out.

Any way Ben I think you should do the honours I think a vote is required is monkey Island 4 the game that ruined the series give us all a choice of all 4 games and lets see who thinks what. Maybe createing a new post just for it will get more people to vote on it.

Um, okay sure. I'm gonna see if i can find how to make polls now...

Just in case no-one else has realised (and you all have) but if Murray had been in either of the first two Monkey Island games he wouldn't have been a talking skull, he would have been a skeleton. His head was blown off at the start of The Curse Of Monkey Island when Guybrush fired a cannon at his rowboat. It's his arm you carry around in your inventory, isn't it?

So any vague generic skulls in either of the first two games can't be Murray, because he wasn't decapitated yet.

But it's all pointless because as we all know, Murray was created by The Curse Of Monkey Island team.

Anyway untill Gilbert himself and not amiga power magazine whos word I accept highly.

I want to know what an Amiga magazine is doing talking about a game that never even came out for the Amiga (granted, it was a sequel to a game released on the Amiga, but even still, why would they care enough to attempt to make the deduction that Murray was actually a secret character in the first two)

Have you even stepped back and taken a look at yourself, Largo? You act like Ron Gilbert is the only person capable of coming up with genuinely excellent characters. Not that I'm saying Ron isn't most respectable, but the idolisation of him and the subsequent ignoring of others' skill and efforts is a little lame.

But... didn't he come up with such characters as Manny Calavera, Ben Throttle and Razputin?

Just in case no-one else has realised (and you all have) but if Murray had been in either of the first two Monkey Island games he wouldn't have been a talking skull, he would have been a skeleton.

He could have been a human pirate.

I am going to create a post just for MI secrets because they are intresting but there wil be some secrets that could be wrong I am much more intrested in other secrets.

There was a heap of stuff that Ron cut out of the MI1 and MI2 games it was either because he did not have the space or the time or other reasons. The mystery about Murray is that there was a heap of characters cut from MI1 one character was apparently a pirate that was surpose to debut in MI1 now weather he was origionaly called Murray we will never know but the rumour was he ws going to debut as a pirate in MI1 and eventualy meet his fate at the hands of guybrush.

He might have been called murray or something else but he was apparnetly left in the game but only as scenery. In MI1 he is belived to be one of the many pirates in the scumm bar. Then there was apparently a mystery about the Skeleton left in the jail cell next to guybrush on phatt island and it might have been murray I hope these storys are true storys like this really add magic to the games.

Maybe this is just storys there was alot of rumours about stuff they cut out back then but I hope not because stuff like this makes MI games magical.

The skeleton in the jail cell is just dead. Not undead. All the pirates in the Scumm Bar were scared to go out pirating because of LeChuck. Doesn't sound like that would include Murray. You seem to be saying there was a character cut out from MI1 that was unnamed. Then the makers of CMI made Murray up and this becomes the unnamed pirate's name, meaning he was in the older games?

There was lots of new and excellent characters in MI4 the

Starbuccaneer's Clerk, Deadeye Dave, Salty the Bait Shop Owner, Planet Threepwood Waitress, the teacher at pirate school, Manatee Operator.

Oh God, not them!

The skeleton in the jail cell is just dead. Not undead. All the pirates in the Scumm Bar were scared to go out pirating because of LeChuck. Doesn't sound like that would include Murray. You seem to be saying there was a character cut out that was unnamed. Then the makers of CMI made him up and this becomes the unnamed pirate's name, meaning he was in the older games? Oh God, not them!

Ha yea cheese not them :guybrush:

That could be right but it dosent explain what the deleted stroyline with the skeleton in the cell next to guybrush if the skelleton did have a storyline it would have been alive at some point if thats before it became a skeleton or as an undead skeleton in the end it just ended up as part of the puzzle with guybrush using its leg to get keys from dog. It would have been good if when guybrush said the leg bone conects to the thigh bone it jumped up and started singing and dancing the whole song. It makes you think all the same there was alot of story, puzzels, characters and scenes cut out of the game I would love to find out what was cut from the game.

One last thing. It is fun to walk around a pirate town and talk to pirates about piratey things. It is not fun to walk around a bunch of themed restaraunts and talk to tourists about the nonexistence of pirates.

I agree entirely. I think that's why i can't get into modern day themed point n clicks. I enjoy going into a past era that i'm alien to, like pirates, fantasy etc. Much more fun.

• 3 months later...

Broken Sword wasn't made by Tim?! I now renounce my allegiance to the block pushing blonde Indy!

But yeah, MI4 wasn't as good as the rest for a number of reasons, (the lack of dialogue from Tim being one of them) but it wasn't an overly awful game.

Broken Sword wasn't made by Tim?! I now renounce my allegiance to the block pushing blonde Indy!

But yeah, MI4 wasn't as good as the rest for a number of reasons, (the lack of dialogue from Tim being one of them) but it wasn't an overly awful game.

I think Monkey Island 4 was a very good Monkey Island game I actually liked it there was quite a lot of dialog because the dialog is spoken by the characters it probably dose not seem like there is not as much.

It dose not have as much dialog as Monkey Island 1 and 2 but there is still quite a bit.

I still think Monkey Island 3 was worst of the 4 Monkey Island games, mainly because after Monkey Island 2 myself mainly was really excited about what was going to happen in Monkey Island 3 but Monkey Island 3 did not continue from were Monkey Island 2 left off in a way I wanted it to and I think it could have been alot better.

Out of all the Monkey Island games my favourites would be in this order with 1 being my most favourite.

1. Monkey Island 2

2. Monkey Island 1

3. Monkey Island 4

4. Monkey Island 3

Largo, can you please stop saying that? It's not that you don't have a right to say it, it's just that saying it over and over again in the same thread just makes you sound like a broken record and verges extremely close to spam.

I was surprised to get an email saying that there has been a reply to this post I thought we had finished this discussion. Were all repeating ourselves this is not the first post were we this has been disgust this type of post has been repeated lots of times over and over again and were going to keep giving the same opinion over and over again were just like the men of low moral fiber in Monkey Island 2. And this post should have ended by now anyway.

Yes, but once you've defined your point in a thread, and made that point ubundantly clear, there's really no reason to repeat yourself in the same thread. Just because someone has replied doesn't mean you have to as well, but if you do, at least try and be original.

I still think Monkey Island 3 was worst of the 4 Monkey Island games, mainly because after Monkey Island 2 myself mainly was really excited about what was going to happen in Monkey Island 3 but Monkey Island 3 did not continue from were Monkey Island 2 left off in a way I wanted it to and I think it could have been alot better.
Actually I think that this fact just goes to show that it is possible for a Monkey Island game to undergo a change of team leaders, a change in the story direction and a complete graphics overhaul, and still (overall) be accepted and remembered fondly by the Monkey Island community.

It achieved this by being a great game, not just by being a continuation in the Monkey Island series.

Archived