Home

Retreating. Waste of time?

Guest DarthMaulUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

Having stuck on Rebellion today and then playing EaW, I noticed the massive difference in retreating.

In Rebellion, your ships would get to the far end of the map and then retreat. Yes you might lose a couple of ships and it is a much slower process than EaW.

I am not a fan of how EaW treats retreating. Speeding the game up, and your ships just stop dead - just to be destroyed within seconds. I think it needs looking at, and maybe a better retreat system - like in Rebellion should be adopted. Much more realistic and more fun

DMUK

Guest DarthMaulUK

Yeah i do that. But when it speeds up, its really daft as you sustain even more losses than you would normally. Gotta feel though for the Empire I guess if you have tarkin on board! haha

DMUK

Agreed, DMUK. Triggering a retreat ought to cause your ships to move back to their starting corner at normal speed, firing normally - though without player control - and they ought to hyperspace out individually as they reach the exit coordinates, not in a big mass such that the ships that arrive at the exit vector first get pummelled while they wait for the stragglers to catch up. I think that would make retreats more realistic: it would be disorganized, with every ship for itself, and you really don't know how long it will take or what you will come out with.

Ground retreats should cause all your units to move to the nearest friendly reinforcement point or structure, and as soon as all units are at such a location, transports should come down and get them. Not individually as in space, because it would be silly to send a transport into a losing firefight several times.

I'm gonna put this on my list of things to try when I can get ahold of the LUA scripts (and I finish writing my thesis).

I think it would be nice for the ability to retreat individual units. How many times did you want your beat-up Star Destroyer out of the fight so you could bring in a fresh one?

Absolutely. And you are not the only one who wants...

or I wish you could just make single ships retreat, If you have a ship thats beat to death, you get him to the back to the edge, he has a gun in the red and his engines are still good and all you can do is leaving him there. In the books and the movies, they would have jumped out of the fight?!>

Sorry, I din't see him post, I guess I should have kept reading, thats what I get for sleeping for an hour LOL :vsd:

Yeah I agree with you as well DMUK. What makes matters worse is when issuing a retreat, because the game speeds up all the enemy has to do is remove the engine hardpoint and you just lost an entire capital ship. It's quite horrible.

Something should be done, espicially if they are going to make a sequel/expansion.

As the Empire, I tend to move the big ships to the other side of the map from wherever the battle is. Then I use the fighters and the anti-fighter ships as a screen. I think that's the only thing you can do until somebody reforms the system.

^^^^

Assuming the enemy doesn't go for your capital ships.

It's quite restrictive. I'd rather be able to command some fighters are some ships to hold back the enemy rather then see all of my fleet get destroyed because they're sitting ducks.

Shooting back is not necessary. If my memory is correct, ships in the SW flight sims when trying to enter hyperspace did not fire back.

I'd be in favor of some sort of return to the hyperspace point like the old flight sims. Though that would also require the maps to be larger.

Guest DarthMaulUK

In the time you have to retreat, you can take out the engines of alot of capitol ships within that time. Hard points are a good feature but within those 10 seconds, would you really be able to deal that much damage? I think not

DMUK

^^^^^

That's something I really hate to hear.

Why would we have to wait for an expansion? If the players are unhappy with how retreating works, then the designers should look into it and perhaps release a patch if it really upsets the game balance and gameplay. An expansion is supposed to add new gameplay features, not fix what's wrong in a game. That's what patches are for.

But then, we are only like... ten people here? I don't think Petro/LA really cares that much about what 10 forum-lurkers have to say.

Maybe so, but it all works on the formula of 'x amount of people speaking out = y amount of people annoyed, but not speaking out'.

In other words, there may very well be a large number of people irritated by retreating, but there is only ever a small fraction who actually publically complain about it.

Maybe so, but it all works on the formula of 'x amount of people speaking out = y amount of people annoyed, but not speaking out'.

In other words, there may very well be a large number of people irritated by retreating, but there is only ever a small fraction who actually publically complain about it.

Well, using your formula, that makes 20 people who are annoyed :) The sad thing? That could be the majority.

But I see your point. The fact remains that if retreating was done poorly, it should be fixed by a patch, not an expansion.

i never thought of this retreat issue before i read this post. it is something that should be adressed in a patch or something and fixing it only makes sense.

what are the chances of that happening? I'm not sure with the way certain other lucasarts games have been treated... cough... swg...cough

Archived