Home

Melee Combat

Toa Tahu

Was anyone ever satisfied with melee combat in the KotOR series?

I, for one, was never happy with the games' statistical melee combat. I would have preferred a more active combat, where skill, instead of statistics, prevailed.

I know the game might take much longer if combat were like this, but I feel that combat in the games was nothing more than a chore, where I simply had to choose what kind of attack I would use next. For me, it would be more fun trying to figure out how and where to strike next.

I like twitch games, but not for the KOTOR series. Wouldn't it be wierd to see the two KOTOR games have a turn-based system, but when everyone buys the third one it's like Jedi Academy?

BTW, this is about the 5th thread to discuss this topic. ;)

Agreed. The KOTOR combat system should stay like it is.

^^^^

DW, you forgot to use this smily at the end of your post... :yodac:

:D

I was perfectly satisfied.

I, for one, was never happy with the games' statistical melee combat. I would have preferred a more active combat, where skill, instead of statistics, prevailed.

I, for one, wish people would actually take into consideration what type of game this is before making suggestions like this.

RPG's are Role Playing Games... The KotOR series is a 'pure' RPG, meaning it is based off of a Paper and Pencil (PnP) game system, these games are meant to test your mind, not your button mashing capability. ;)

So in these games it is your statistics that matter, you can play a FPS later on to satisfy your "skill".

I liked the Kotor Combat system. And i've played a LOT of games which had different combat systems. I see what you mean, right now there is only a tactical skill envolved in kotor combat, unlike jedi academy where your speed and your finger dexterity determines how good you are.

But that sort of combat doesnt suit Kotor, Kotor is much like Baldurs gate, how well your character does in combat depends on equipment and stats.

Generally i like to fight myself, but in Kotor i prefer to watch the nice moves, and my character crushing down the enemies without me having to do it.

After all this game is based on story and atmosphere.

Very.

You do realize that this is an RPG?

they did what you suggested in fable. I couldn't play a game any more with pure turn based combat, like most rpgs and pokemon (shudders). I like the turn based combat that acts out in real time. looks pretty good to.

Yeah, players should have an animation where they can run after you and still attack you if close enough.

I'm pretty happy with the current combat system.... I would just like to see more player/environment interaction. For example... I'd like the ability to actually move when in combat, like I "push" my opponent forward as I attack him. I'd also like some moves where I can jump off a wall and attack my opponent from there... and also some praries if someone attacks you from your back.

Of course I reallyze how hard it would be to get the animations right for this, AND how highly unlikelly it is that they would put something like this in-game. But still, it would be nice...

Uh...no. Why would I agree to that?

On my last play through of KotOR, I used Carth on the Star Forge where, equipped with two fully-upgraded Bargawin Assault Blades, he defeated Dark Jedi.

In terms of lightsabres, Revan was killing Rakata with one swipe so overall no - melee combat in KotOR was fine.

Surely everyone agrees though, that melee combat in K1 was useless?

You're on your own, i didn't mind it at all. Sorry to repeat what everyones been saying but thats RPG, if you didn't like it play games like Jedi outcast or Jade empire. I'd also be quite unsatisfied if they changed it for the 3rd

BTW, this is about the 5th thread to discuss this topic. ;)

5th thread?! O_O My bad; I've never came here for a looong time, so I didn't know that.

You do realize that this is an RPG?

I do. :)

RPG's are Role Playing Games... The KotOR series is a 'pure' RPG, meaning it is based off of a Paper and Pencil (PnP) game system, these games are meant to test your mind, not your button mashing capability.

So in these games it is your statistics that matter.

Point taken. However, I guess I'm not satisfied with the slow combat; personally, I would have preferred something like The Elder Scrolls' series's combat system. But then again, every person has his/her own preferences.

Yes, and my preference is to keep KotOR as turn-based and hope they develop a great stroy for III.

That being said, I do agree with jmac7142. There were times I had moved well away from my opponent but still took melee damage. Small inconvenience, but not enough to change the combat system.

Point taken. However, I guess I'm not satisfied with the slow combat; personally, I would have preferred something like The Elder Scrolls' series's combat system. But then again, every person has his/her own preferences.

I realise you like 'twitch' combat games, so do I, but I realise that different games call for different expectations. Example: I do not expect the KotOR level of storyline and depth from say, Battlefield 2, I also don't expect the Battlefield 2 levels of heart pounding gameplay from playing KotOR. ;)

The combat in KotOR isn't "slow" it is tactical you plan things out before hand and watch the event unfold, whereas the combat in say Morrowind is different. But Morrowind and KotOR are different games. If every game played the same way the gaming industry would quickly go out of business, variety is good.

Archived