Home

"depends on your defintion of shortly?"

Darth Plagus

They won't cancel an expansion pack because a mod fills the same time period. Mods are unprofessionally developed (though some make for very professional presentations, those are in the minority) and typically involve alteration of existing content and features and the addition of new artwork. An expansion pack would have the advantage of being "official," would include professional artwork, voice acting, scripting, etc, and would include entirely new game elements and features.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
An expansion pack would have the advantage of being "official," would include professional artwork, voice acting, scripting, etc, and would include entirely new game elements and features.

True. These are the biggest advantages expansions have over mods. Even high quality mods that are technically better than official content look shallow without appropriate voice acting (something I have yet to see modders do) and new, unique features.

Anyway, no developper/publisher in their right minds would skip an expansion release (read : an income) because some over-excited fans are messing around with an editor. What is to understand here is that LA and Petro are in this for the money.

EAW does have the huge advantage of having a (relative) small usage of Star Wars units, and therefor giving several possibilitis for X-packs.

That game was designed with an expansion in mind. The time setting just demands it. It's right between the two trilogies. Yet, no units from the later OT or PT. It would be extremely easy to add a "ESB/RotS" expansion, or even an Episode 3 expansion.

While an OT expansion is more likely, I can't believe LA would pass on RotS. SWGB had CC for AotC, and it would just make sense for LA to use RotS for an expansion.

Sorry I've not stopped in for a while, but E3 has us hopping, not to mention working on the project we will be showing there.

The map editor is in QA now. We will likely release an update/balance patch very soon, followed closely after by the editor. There's still some documentation to write up to support the editor while it is in QA, and I've been working on a doc to explain the XML story scripting system (it's a bit strange, and I'm the only one that seems to understand it fully :D ) I've been told it should be out before E3, but as always I will refrain from giving an exact date because it's out of my hands.

I will also offer this bit to chew on...some of you want us to go forward in time for an expansion, some of you want to go backwards. What if we went sideways? :D That is, of course, assuming that we actually were working on an expansion.

Sorry I've not stopped in for a while, but E3 has us hopping, not to mention working on the project we will be showing there.

The map editor is in QA now. We will likely release an update/balance patch very soon, followed closely after by the editor. There's still some documentation to write up to support the editor while it is in QA, and I've been working on a doc to explain the XML story scripting system (it's a bit strange, and I'm the only one that seems to understand it fully :D ) I've been told it should be out before E3, but as always I will refrain from giving an exact date because it's out of my hands.

I will also offer this bit to chew on...some of you want us to go forward in time for an expansion, some of you want to go backwards. What if we went sideways? :D That is, of course, assuming that we actually were working on an expansion.

now that is some welcome news. thanks for the heads up. :D

sideways... = adding a couple new units, a few new maps and unit balancing? like alot of the other expansions out there. Personally I want to see the clone wars... but sideways that kind of scary if you ask me. there just adding more to the current timeline the game supports.

$29.99 for:

Tie Intercepter

B-Wing

2 new Skirmish maps

2 new Multiplayer maps

and

a new galactic map called Galactic Domination

So if they are going sideways then this would mean Empire At War 2: The Clone Wars, then Empire At War 3: (something after Ep6) then Empire At War 4: The Sith Wars(think KOTOR)

Sideways and little later tech from Return of the Jedi would be fantastic! There are things we really would like such as the B-Wing, Tie Interceptors, Tie Experimentals etc etc. If you included all the ships from Star Wars X-Wing Alliance - I think 99% of us would be thrilled.

Also nice would be a "true realism" mode that we could "tick" for campaign play - something that allows us to play exactly as the Star Wars Universe shows (forgoing rock-paper-scissors balancing). An ability to chose exactly what goes into battle instead of the current "balance" system...

You could then leave Clone Wars for expansion 2, and super-future Star Wars for expansion 3. :)

I'm sorry but an expansion in my mind is just another way for lucasarts to extract money from another source.

Give out the mod tools and let other people deal with things like expanisions without being the capitalistic, money-loving people we all know and love at lucas arts :)

You're love of money forces you to bring out products that are unsatisfactory to the market.

If you had done the job right the first time, i see no reason for an official expansion.

Good luck on getting people to buy it ;)

There are a billion other mods for people to try instead of your "official" crap.

Seems as if the people on this forum pay for crap :)

alright guys go ahead.

Waste your money, while im getting free mods from the modding community that look MUCH better than anything official i have seen in years.

Lucas arts is failing and dying due to its greed.

HA.

It would alienate the entire community if they didn't release the mod tools like they said.

LIKE THEY SAID.

I like big game companies who lie.

It basically makes them fade away and die.

I HOPE they don't release the mod tools just to see their entire fan base be wiped out :D

It has happened before to NUMEROUS games and star wars fans are damn finicky.

Lets not forget that LA had announced a demo for Battlefront 1. The said demo obviously never came out. ( :smash: the dead horse!)

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with EaW, but remember that, unless I am mistaking, neither LA or Petro ever *promised* that they would release modding tools. As with any kind of "announced" online content, they can choose to pull the plug anytime they want should they see fit.

I know, I'm a bit pessimistic. Someone has to be though.

And Luke, I just realized you were a mod now. Congrats :clap2:

Watch lucas arts lie like it mostly always does ;)

then Empire At War 4: The Sith Wars(think KOTOR)

Already working on that ;)

You'll notice Torpid said absolutely nothing about mod tools in a mod tools thread. He said map editor. Those are two complete different things.

Which only serves to reinforce my idea that we will never get mod tools.

Merlin:

Dude, every game has an expansion nowadays. They're not designed to fix problems with a game and get money at the same time, they're designed to expand the game in ways that modders can't. That's why they're called "expansions", and not "patches."

Dude, every game has an expansion nowadays.

What about Battlefront 1? KotOR 1?

It really seems like LA has abandonned the expansion business. They focus on doing "new" games instead. Of course, "new" here refers to a carbon copy of the original with a few extra brownies (it actually worked decently well for KotOR, but for BF.....)

What about Battlefront 1? KotOR 1?

It really seems like LA has abandonned the expansion business. They focus on doing "new" games instead. Of course, "new" here refers to a carbon copy of the original with a few extra brownies (it actually worked decently well for KotOR, but for BF.....)

It will only be a matter of time before EAW 2

/rollseyes.

I never bought battlefront 2 because its just another money grab.

Most of the options in BF 2 are available through mods in BF 1.

Again it just seems like LA is money grabbing here.

And some consumers are stupid enough to fall for it.

But i think we've seen with the drop in PC game sales that they really aren't.

EAW is a fresh idea and i like it.

But another expansion will simply be a grab for money.

RELEASE THE MOD TOOLS YOU GREEDY..... *****

btw who should i mail my letters of anger to?

is this forum for people who actually work on the game itself?

It will only be a matter of time before EAW 2

/rollseyes.

I never bought battlefront 2 because its just another money grab.

Most of the options in BF 2 are available through mods in BF 1.

Again it just seems like LA is money grabbing here.

And some consumers are stupid enough to fall for it.

But i think we've seen with the drop in PC game sales that they really aren't.

EAW is a fresh idea and i like it.

But another expansion will simply be a grab for money.

RELEASE THE MOD TOOLS YOU GREEDY..... *****

btw who should i mail my letters of anger to?

is this forum for people who actually work on the game itself?

Money grabbing? Who the hell says they have to keep up their promises of mod tools? Mod tools are a favor. You do not pay the $50 for the mod tools. You pay it for the game itself.

Besides, it's a business. They make money. That's the whole point. Nobody makes games for charity.

They'll release the bloody mod tools when they will release them. Whining about it won't accelerate things. It makes a whiner sound like a selfish jerk and frankly if I was a designer, I wouldn't release the tools just so they can be more pissed.

At the end of the day, LucasArts will still retain is fanbase and the petty empty threats of whiners won't change a thing.

Money grabbing? Who the hell says they have to keep up their promises of mod tools? Mod tools are a favor. You do not pay the $50 for the mod tools. You pay it for the game itself.

Besides, it's a business. They make money. That's the whole point. Nobody makes games for charity.

They'll release the bloody mod tools when they will release them. Whining about it won't accelerate things. It makes a whiner sound like a selfish jerk and frankly if I was a designer, I wouldn't release the tools just so they can be more pissed.

At the end of the day, LucasArts will still retain is fanbase and the petty empty threats of whiners won't change a thing.

I'm not the one who loses a fanbase if they don't release the mod tools.

And saying that games are put out SIMPLY for profit shows your lack of education concerning anything to do with economics. It's not us that lose out when lucasarts loses its fan base... as it has over the past several years. :D

And if the mod tools don't come out, another way to point out on every forum that deals with a lucasarts game about how they lie and don't support their games.

Lucasarts in the movies could survive. But lucasarts in the gaming world is slowly slipping into obscurity. And im laughing at every single developer for lucasarts out there. ;)

Archived