Home

FEMA Fails Again

TK-8252

I doubt governments are any more or less efficient than private companies. Sure, small private companies are usually leaner and keener because they have to compete, but once a sector gets monoploised by a giant company then they are hardly any more/less concerned about the customer than anyone else.

But the government IS a monopoly. It it the most giant of all companies and has no competition. That is the makings of a monopoly right there.

Private companies are often great at getting new customers (good marketting and offers) but once they have you as a customer they couldn't care less.

You can always take your business elsewhere with a private company. You CANNOT, however, take your business elsewhere with the government. As a citizen of the country you have a permanent contract with the government that you didn't agree to. And if you don't pay up then you get thrown in jail.

However, private companies don't give a toss about providing a service. All they're interested in is making a profit. If that means giving a bloody awful service, they don't generally tend to have any problems with that.

I'd rather have these things in the hands of a government accountable to the voters, instead of in the hands of a business accountable to its shareholders.

The government is what doesn't give a toss about providing a service. All they're interested in is collecting your hard-earned cash and use it as they see fit. A private company that provides a bloody awful service loses profits and fails. No matter how awful the service the government provides is, they still rake in the cash at the same rate (example: FEMA). And you can't just stop paying taxes because you don't like/don't want the service, unless of course, you don't mind sitting in a jail cell.

I'd rather have these things in the hands of a business that must compete against other businesses in order to gain profit. The government will continue to get your money from you no matter what, even if they don't do their job at all.

But yeah, this is off-topic, even though related... perhaps a new thread eh?

Senate Panel Recommends Abolishing FEMA

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060427/ap_on_go_co/katrina_congress

Looks like they're doing something about it, I don't think they should abolish it...more like turn the place upside down.... I mean we need a disaster response agency that's ready to go.

I wouldn't want to wait around for another one, who would we blame then? tee hee

Archived