Home

Disloyal clones?

swphreak

I've recently picked up a copy of the new Republic Commando novel, and I'm about half-way through it so far. There are a lot of parts where we see clones (mostly Null ARCs and Omega Squad) hesitating/disobeying orders from superior officers [and only listening to Skirata).

Now I'm wondering, what do you think those clones did when they recieved Order 66?

I can very easily believe that the Null ARCs would tell the Emperor to go shove it. The Republic Commandos, I can see some hesitating, or certain RCs to outright disobey completely.

Opinions?

Any nonsense about EU contradictions/sucking/ect that is not of relevance to this topic will be deleted, and if I don't like you, worse.

Clone Commanders are not ARCs or Republic Commandos, they are Clone Troopers with command training.

ARC have independence, but are still loyal and obedient. "Null" ARCs, like Ordo, are clearly loyal only to Kal Skirata, so unless Kal told them to execute Order 66, I doubt they did it.

I'm not so sure about the Commandos though, I can see Delta squad executing Order 66 easily, but Darman of Omega squad might hesistate. :naughty:

Clone Commanders are not ARCs or Republic Commandos, they are Clone Troopers with command training.

ARC have independence, but are still loyal and obedient. "Null" ARCs, like Ordo, are clearly loyal only to Kal Skirata, so unless Kal told them to execute Order 66, I doubt they did it.

I'm not so sure about the Commandos though, I can see Delta squad executing Order 66 easily, but Darman of Omega squad might hesistate. :naughty:

granted this is from the star wars wikipedia site and is formulated by fans like us, but

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Clone_trooper_commander

according to the site, and my personal understanding, clone commanders were given similar training as arc troopers and they too have the more (although not complete) independent thinking. the wikipedia article also says that ARC troopers were the ones who trained commanders to be independent thinkers. I also think the fact that clone commanders have names, like bly and cody, show that they do have some indepedent thinking and not just commander training. although the indepedent thinking may just extend to ways they think about combat tactical situations.

I don't think its just so straightforward if they care or not about orders. I think circumstance would play a huge part in any decision process. That said:

Delta Squad: Without hesitation I believe they would obey in almost any situation. I can see no reason they wouldn't.

Null ARCs: If Kal wasn't around when the orders come in, I doubt they would just ignore them. Most likely, considering that they don't like the Jedi too much anyway and the fact that they understand that Jedi traitors could only be stopped immediately and without warning, they would not hesitate to destroy the Jedi if Order 66 came in. Now if Kal was there, they would look to him for advise, and the final decision.

Kal Skirata: For most of the same reasons as the Null ARCs, I think Kal would uphold Order 66, unless he knew more about the true reason for it then most of the clones did (i.e. its all part of Palpy's plan, not actual Jedi treachery).

Darman: I don't think he would just trust Order 66 and kill Etain, without at least giving her a chance to explain herself. The only exception is if he recently found out Etain's little secret, and felt betrayed by her already.

Rest of Omega Squad: I think they would be less understanding. It could actually be an interesting storyline if they Order 66 Etain and Darman doesn't. I don't really think they trust Etain or the Jedi enough to take the chance.

Bardan: An exception to the above. I don't think any of these people (Delta Squad excepted) think of Bardan as a Jedi, so I don't think they would kill him. In fact, I don't think he even considers himself a Jedi. I think his faith in the Jedi is shaken enough that he might believe the Jedi have betrayed the Republic, and join in the Order 66ing himself. I could see him becoming an agent of Palpatine in the near future.

Hopefully we will get a couple more RC books in the future, and we can get better answers than just our guesses.

I don't think they disobeyed orders, I think they dutifully obeyed. If ANY order had to be carried out without hestitation, it was this one, I think Palpy would have made sure of that.

Anyway, the EU writers (and clone fanboys) want the elite troopers to have disobeyed their orders so that we can have stories (and fan fics!) about clones that helped the good guys, went off on their own adventures (since each one is like a potential Boba Fett, the ultimate Star Wars fanboy wet dream character, right?), etc. Just like how they want Jedi to survive as story fodder and fantasies, etc.

I frankly don't care. I think it makes the story just as interesting if all these guys just acted like drones and killed the Jedi like they were supposed to, and the only ones to survive were the ones who got lucky. Yeah it sucks that they were able to kill Jedi at all, but the plot forces you to accept that, and once that is a given it's silly to think it didn't work.

Anyway, the supposedly elite Clone Commandos in Republic Commando balked at not being allowed to save their brother, and yet they obeyed that order. So what makes one think they would not obey the order to kill some person they have less attachment too that they are now being told directly by their Commander in Chief is a traitor that must be killed?

And I claim Executive Privilege in this thread. Ha! ;)

Anyway, the supposedly elite Clone Commandos in Republic Commando balked at not being allowed to save their brother, and yet they obeyed that order. So what makes one think they would not obey the order to kill some person they have less attachment too that they are now being told directly by their Commander in Chief is a traitor that must be killed?

Because they know who the jedi are. They know they are/were their allies and peacekeepers. They would probably obey, anyways, though. :p

The RCs in Republic Commando the video game are Delta Squad, which I believe would probably follow Order 66 in a heartbeat.

I disagree on the Null ARCs. If Kal wasn't around, I can see them ignoring the order, seeing as how they only take orders from Kal.

Also, there's no way to know if any Null ARCs or RCs are still alive in EpIII, the latest book is up to over a year after Geonosis.

The Null ARCs were the first batch of ARC troopers created by the Kaminoans, and it was an experiment in which they tried to improve on the DNA of Jango. Only 12 were created, and only half those survived. The Kaminoans considered them incapable of being good soldiers, and wanted to kill them. Kal Skirata stood up for them and trained them himself.

I disagree on the Null ARCs. If Kal wasn't around, I can see them ignoring the order, seeing as how they only take orders from Kal.

IIRC, there are instances in RC:TZ where the Null ARCs act without directly consulting with Kal. They can still make decisions on their own. The fact that they take orders only from Kal just means that only Kal's orders supercede their own judgement. If a Null ARC believes the Jedi to be traitors, I can see them killing them to protect their own lives, without questioning them first, and giving them a chance to defend themselves.

Also, there's no way to know if any Null ARCs or RCs are still alive in EpIII, the latest book is up to over a year after Geonosis.

I believe Traviss said in an interview somewhere that she decided how the Omegas would react during Order 66 when she was writing Hard Contact, so presumably they at least survive that long.

I dunno... Genetic and Psychological conditioning would be a pretty hard thing to overcome. There are real life cases of elite soldiers that were conditioned with activation words/images to make them complete a certain task. I'd say order 66 is one of those things. Its just hard-wired into them, like my salivating reaction to pizza :) lolz

mtfbwya

Archived