Home

Nintendo Wii?

Lynk Former

Someone know up a 3d sig of the Wii logo getting peed on... please???? I can't wait thetwo days it will take for them to start appearing on google images.

I'm looking forward to the comedy videos that are gonna start popping up on youTube pretty soon though... its like Nintendo have created the perfect reverse viral marketing!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think eventually I will become accustomed to the name and not have a big problem with it. Or at least I hope so, because I'm still getting it, so I'll need to get used to the name. I really do wanna stick with revolution though...

Is Nintendo Punk'ing Us With The Name Wii?

Nintendo's new name for their next generation game console Wii has had, without a doubt, the worst reception for any name proposed for such a product by the gaming press and fans. How bad is it? According to a Kotaku story, a represenative for a professional branding company said that the Wii name might actually be fake, with the real name being announced at E3. A post at the Snarkhunting.com site also points out that the name "Wii" has yet to be trademarked by Nintendo. Nintendo execs have insisted in interviews that the Wii name is here to stay although they have yet to say why the name has yet to be trademarked.

Supposedly anyways..

Wii sucks, Revolution sucked harder, but Nintendo sucks hardest. I thought the gran-pappy of console gaming wouldn't have gone senile this early... I bet the official logo is going to be adorned by hello-kitties, pikachus and all those dumb, "cuddly" things Nintendo makes...

I hope you were being sarcastic, because your title, location and avatar are Nintendo related.

Most products have madeup names... that sound weird initially until people get used to them (google, flickr, msn, aim, nike, nestle, etc..). But that is different than trying to take a name with an existing negative connotation (or several it appears - pee, penis, users=wiiners, etc.) and make it into a leading brand name.

There is even a whole science to creating these made up names.. where they try and make them sound similar to words that they want to conjure the image of... (post office->consignia. google->froogle, etc..).

But i'm sure that science also involves not having it conjure images of toilet humour in the majority of the audience.

I'd go with it being a marketting stunt... if nintendo wasn't famous for being overly stubborn about sticking to its guns even once its been proved it made a mistake - even if it hurts them.

Most products have madeup names... that sound weird initially until people get used to them (google, flickr, msn, aim, nike, nestle, etc..). But that is different than trying to take a name with an existing negative connotation (or several it appears - pee, penis, users=wiiners, etc.) and make it into a leading brand name.

I don't know, you are the only person I have seen that keeps mentioning pee explicitly...

BTW Nike is a Greek mythological character... a goddess that ran very fast I believe.

Note, just because it doesn't show up as a trademarked name initially doesn't mean it hasn't been trademarked... the information can lag.

Yeah, plus it doesn't actually have to be registered to be trademarked, the trademark symbol is good enough.

I've been hearing some people comparing this name to google, yahoo, ect.

I personally disagree with that. When I first heard "google" I didn't immediately think "wtf," I thought "that's an interesting name." The same thing did not happen with "wii."

I don't know, you are the only person I have seen that keeps mentioning pee explicitly...

BTW Nike is a Greek mythological character... a goddess that ran very fast I believe.

Thats because in the UK wee means pee.. no confusion or ifs or buts about it. Say wee (as a noun) to any person you meet on the streets and that is what they will think. No exceptions. Not my fault if other english speaking nations have the wrong slang... ;)

NOA obviously didn't run it past Nintendo UK marketting dept before they announced it. Though I guess maybe they could rename it in the UK.. like the way the Genesis was called the Mega Drive over here... but thats harder in an international internet age.

I think a googol is a very large number or something...

It is brilliant. Do you think that keeping "Revolution" would have received any free press? Do you think "Gamecube 2" would have received any free press? *Everyone* on the 'net is talking about Wii, and all they had to do was make a small announcement.

It is just a name. Are any of you who were planning on buying a Revolution no longer going to buy it because you're buying a Wii?

I thought not.

This just in: New controller information from this leaked transcript of Nintendo's E3 keynote...

We here at Nintendo know that we have a very large fanbase, and that our presence here at E3 is a very important one to the future of gaming. And part of that importance is the controller to our next console, the Nintendo Wii. As some of you know already, the Wii controller has a few features that are not yet known to the public. I am pleased to now announce one of those secrets. It is a part of the controller we like to call "The Smell of Wii." The controller will feature it's own distinctive smell. We want people to walk into a store and say "What's that smell?" Our goal is to bring the smell of Wii into every household, so that when you walk into a house with a Wii in it, you'll think to yourself, "This house smells like Wii." This is part of a word-of-mouth strategy. We want kids to go to their friends and say "Come smell my Wii."

Ok, so I made that up. :p But you never know. O.o

Oh, and toms, people here in the U.S. call urine "wee" as well. And i've seen alot of other people mention pee. So I don't know what Mike was talking about.

Archived