Home

Bad News for Many EaW mods.

Darth Andrew

Dude!

Work is nearly completed on Patch 1.04 and the targeted release is sometime next week. Here are some of the highlights:

- Numerous balancing tweaks to both the Rebellion and Empire units

- Custom maps created with the map editor can now be played in the game

- If a player needs a particular custom map in order to play in an online game, the map will be automatically downloaded

- An issue causing capital ships to sometimes become invisible has been corrected

- Check out the changes in more detail when the patch goes live!

Work on the map editor is also almost complete and is scheduled to be available as a separate download along with the release of the patch or very soon thereafter pending a few finishing touches being applied as we speak! The editor will allow users to create custom space and land maps for Star Wars: Empire at War, more details to come.

Everyone is overreacting big time. The map editor must have some form of LUA scripting, as this is required to make maps for EaW if you want ANY scripted actions.

A model convertor will come out, they know that mods mean new models and they wont be that ignorant.

In my most illustrious opinion *cough* we'll never see any mod tools. Why do I say that? Because LEC has a horrible track record in that regard. There are several mods in developement at the moment that would make any EaW sequal a waste of money, and LEC knows that. And LEC is never going to satisfy modders in place of satisfying their coffers.

Yes, I'm cynical. But until I actually see the tools, I stand by my statement.

In reply to Wedge: Map tools do not equal mod tools. And to statements elsewhere in the thread, no matter how much scripting a map requires, that doesn't mean you'll be able to insert new models or alter the LUA beyond what is needed to make a map run. A map editor is exactly that: make maps, not mods.

well at least something good is coming. im happy with the map editor on its way. i think the mod tools will be released. sometime. but i doubt its gonna be the same time as the map editor. they're probably just releasing them seperately. also since there are so many mods in progress that require mod tools, LA cant let them all down. well. they could. but they have enough decency to give us something to help us enjoy one of their games. honestly, i could live without the mod tools. im not a modder. but i still think they'll come.

A lot of people are going far too negative over this.

There is an XML editor too. Since yesterday when I made a Hidden Post on my forums I've realised that there was no mention of that...Torpid SAID that there was an XML Editor....Therefore there are more tools than they have said....Or they have yet again LEC have screwed us over!

The next live dev chat is -after- E3, and supposedly the map tools are coming out -before- E3. Therefore, we were hoping they would be out before the next live dev chat :p

But yeah, if they don't come with the map tools, there is going to be a nice barrage of questions regarding it, and I'll be none too pleased with a "we'll have more news later" crap.

In my most illustrious opinion *cough* we'll never see any mod tools. Why do I say that? Because LEC has a horrible track record in that regard. There are several mods in developement at the moment that would make any EaW sequal a waste of money, and LEC knows that. And LEC is never going to satisfy modders in place of satisfying their coffers.

Yes, I'm cynical. But until I actually see the tools, I stand by my statement.

In reply to Wedge: Map tools do not equal mod tools. And to statements elsewhere in the thread, no matter how much scripting a map requires, that doesn't mean you'll be able to insert new models or alter the LUA beyond what is needed to make a map run. A map editor is exactly that: make maps, not mods.

They were pretty good with getting mapping and modding tools out for Jedi Outcast/Academy. And in that case, all the tools came out in one bundle, with scripting, mapping, modelling, and whatever all at once. Also, there are examples of scripting and other modding abilities being built into map editors (Blizzard's StarCraft is probably the best example of that). So I look at the promise of a map editor with just as much excitement as I'd look at the prospect of a full modding suite, since they might be exactly the same thing and, if not, there is probably some overlap between the two.

There aren't any mods in production that would make a a sequel a waste of money. Plenty of people will buy a sequel no matter what mods have been released; and a sequel or expansion will contain more new features, new units, new campaigns, and a much more professional polish than mods can. It'll also come out faster than a mod of similar scope, since mods are driven by volunteer labor.

I won't start another "Why mods don't change much" argument, but all I can say is that LEC can release mod tools, get those "mods that would make any sequel a waste of money" made and still make a huge amount of money.

Proof? BF1942 mod Eve of Destruction was a million times better then Battlefield: Vietnam, even though they had only half the ressources DICE Canada had. Yet Battlefield: Vietnam sold quite well.

Well, I still remember the "promise" that was made that "mod tools" would be released at or around the release of the 1.03 patch. Now all of a sudden its been scaled back to "map editor". There is a huge difference between a map editor, and mod tools. Me and my mod team have been waiting a long time to get the mod tools so we can start adding custom ships, effects etc for a Trek Total Conversion. I've now officially lost interest entirely in this game if the mod tools arent released soon.

To clarify scripting, you don't need LUA for scripted events, you only need XML. You can use LUA to enhance scripted events (more intricate detail) or for AI modification, but it's not required. If they don't include my XML story scripting doc with the editor, then I will see about getting it uploaded. It's not something most people will want to play with, but I know some of you are interested in doing your own story campaigns.

To clarify scripting, you don't need LUA for scripted events, you only need XML. You can use LUA to enhance scripted events (more intricate detail) or for AI modification, but it's not required. If they don't include my XML story scripting doc with the editor, then I will see about getting it uploaded. It's not something most people will want to play with, but I know some of you are interested in doing your own story campaigns.

How about a model viewer or import/exporter? So we can start adding our own custom ships in their proper .alo format.

Question:

So, say for example I wanted to script a ship to move from point A to B. Lua or XML?

What about triggering a holo image of a character to appear?

And, lastly :), do you happen to know if the map editor will have any LUA editing capabilities?

Thanks Torpid!

Also, there are examples of scripting and other modding abilities being built into map editors (Blizzard's StarCraft is probably the best example of that)

You chose the worst possible example of anything relating to mods. It was nearly impossible, and still is nearly impossible, to mod StarCraft. There was absolutely nothing in the map editor that you could use to make a mod. How do I know this? Because I spent six years using the *%&$ thing. StarCraft's map editor is still the best ever when it comes to scripting campaigns and what-not, but campaigns and new maps are not mods. Sure, you could insert new sounds and stuff, but sprites, textures, etc? Not easily, not by a long shot. And a new campaign is not a mod, it's a new campaign. There is a world of difference. It's not a mod until it adds a new unit, or changes stats, or removes units, or adds sides, or what have you.

And there certainly was no way you could make a TC out of StarCraft's map editor. You had about the same chance as a flame surviving on Hoth.

Question:

So, say for example I wanted to script a ship to move from point A to B. Lua or XML?

What about triggering a holo image of a character to appear?

And, lastly :), do you happen to know if the map editor will have any LUA editing capabilities?

Thanks Torpid!

To force-move a ship is LUA. Holo transmissions are XML.

The map editor doesn't have any XML or LUA scripting built in, other than support features (such as adding tags to pre-placed units that can be called in LUA). We do all of our scripting in Visual Studio (or whatever the editor of choice is for a particular designer). Technically you could create LUA and XML scripts now without the map editor - you just need to place them in the right location (For LUA it would be Run\Data\Scripts\ and then directory for the type of script: AI, Evaluators, FreeStore, GameObject, Interventions, Library, Miscellaneous, Story).

Archived