Home

The Best Star Wars Game In A Long While...

WarlokLord

Empire At War seems to do everything right. I was impressed by the demo and now with the full version I have lost many evenings to single-player Galactic Conquest games.

The game is deceptively deep. The more you play, the more plain the integrity of the mechanical design - how each element functions tactically and strategically... everything comes together beautifully.

Both factions *feel* right, they feel like they should. Rebels are fighter-heavy, the Empire relies on capital ships. Rebels can sneak in and usurp systems, while the Empire must bring to bear its overwhelming force. I cannot think of how better to implement a wargame of SW in real time.

Some might recall the classic Milton Bradley boardgames Shogun, Axis & Allies, or Fortress America when playing this. I know I do. Love it.

I sincerely hope that an expansion could add Tie Interceptors, B-Wings, and the Super Star Destroyer *if* those elements are as well-balanced and well-designed as everything else has been to this point. I also hope even more earnestly that the Clone War factions could be implemented... I would love to control General Grievous and Count Dooku at the head of their Droid armies.

My only complaints:

The limited number of Galactic Conquest maps (and the fact that a few start you off at greater than tech level 1 - let *me* do the upgrading, if I so choose).

It seems like the game upgrades your tech level (yours and that of the computer opponent) arbitrarily, after some point in time. Rarely, sure, but I would rather have to rely on my own expenditures to bring that about. Or to not bring that about. For example, if I play as the Empire, perhaps I do not want to advance in tech so as to keep the Rebels restricted. Thats a valid strategy!

Anyway, thank you for the game. I shall be playing this for a long time.

(I`m sure the developers are way ahead of me here, but I`ll say it anyway: the B-Wing could have flight profiles identical to the Y-Wing, slightly more resilience, and fire torpedoes at hard targets *or* slightly more powerful X-Wing level lasers at other fighters; all costing more than a Y-Wing, of course.)

Welcome to the forums!

In terms of tech levels, it seems to be scripted in the campaign, but in conquest you're in charge of tech. The Empire advances by using its research stations, the rebels have to steal all of the empire's tech at one level in order to advance.

For setting Conquest tech levels, you can set them to 1 by going to the advanced tab in the conquest menu. I do that to make the game last longer.

Guest DarthMaulUK

I've just started playing the campaigns full on and what fun! The story is great and theres enough variety in it to keep me interested. Once fans can create their own maps, what the community expand even more. Lots more to come this month as well.

DMUK

• 2 weeks later...

I didn`t know you could adjust the tech level of a Galactic Conquest game... GREAT!

You realize you`re making this game better, Grand Admiral Thrawn...

(grin positively)

FEAR is the only game whose expansions and sequels I am looking forward to as much as I am EAW`s. I can`t say I like the new pirate/thug leader`s young teen voice in the trailer, but I`ll live with it. Good trailer too!

I can`t over-emphasize how cool this series is. And 'cool' is a word that is forced from my lips as I play it... just a bloody brilliant job.

Admiral Thrawn (and Darth Torpid),

Thanks for the tip concerning the tech level control you can exert in Advanced Options for Galactic Conquest scenarios. Glorious!

I find the tough thing to wrap your mind around strategically is to move - to attack - with forces that are *sufficient* to do the job rather than baldly overwhelming. With the right tactics I have managed to execute some victories I`d never have thought were possible when I first started playing the game. Kudos again to the designers... not many rts`s can claim such an ability. Its a real strategic & tactical game, letting me try a myriad of activities that as I said harken back to the design grit of the Milton Bradley board contests.

If all developers and publishers devoted as much effort to game play as they do to graphics and useless licensing... EAW is an example of what happens when the play in games is not neglected.

(hey... if I`m quoted, do I get a functioning lightsabre?...)

(grin)

I'd have to say the KotOR series is better than EaW is in terms of Star Wars games. But Empire at War offers a lot of unique things that other games can't and with the release of the map editor, who knows how far it can be taken :)

• 2 weeks later...

KotOR 2 is better in many ways. EAW is good for a quick run through, but not very good for constant replay. Since the day it was released, the day I purchased, I have played the game four/five times. I don't think it was wourth $50. I think it was about a $20 game. Not to mention that it was incomplete. Why have a 'Custom Map' button if you don't release the 'Map Editor' with the game?

I know the 'Map Editor' is a available to download, but why place the option in if the game doesn't come with anything to use it with?

Truthfully, the game is mediocre at best, and you don't need a brain to play it.

KotOR 2 is better in many ways. EAW is good for a quick run through, but not very good for constant replay. Since the day it was released, the day I purchased, I have played the game four/five times. I don't think it was wourth $50. I think it was about a $20 game. Not to mention that it was incomplete. Why have a 'Custom Map' button if you don't release the 'Map Editor' with the game?

Both EaW and KotOR 2 are great games, but in widely different fields. Eaw is a strategy game that offers both intense battles and a grander strategic overview. KotOR 2 is a roleplaying game that focuses on personal combat and character developement. Apples and oranges, in other words.

I know the 'Map Editor' is a available to download, but why place the option in if the game doesn't come with anything to use it with?

Ummmm... because they knew they were going to release it later? So that they wouldn't have to come up with a patch that changed the layout of the menu interface when they released the map editor? You think?

Truthfully, the game is mediocre at best, and you don't need a brain to play it.

How many computer games do you "need a brain" to play? Have you tried playing Galactic Conquest against a human opponent? The game is far from mediocre; it's excellent. And if you think it sucks so bad, why do you keep coming in here to post about it?

Both EaW and KotOR 2 are great games, but in widely different fields. Eaw is a strategy game that offers both intense battles and a grander strategic overview. KotOR 2 is a roleplaying game that focuses on personal combat and character developement. Apples and oranges, in other words.

Agreed. If you want to compare EaW to other games use RTS games. If you are comparing Star Wars games than EaW far out weighs all other Star Wars RTS games.

How many computer games do you "need a brain" to play? Have you tried playing Galactic Conquest against a human opponent? The game is far from mediocre; it's excellent. And if you think it sucks so bad, why do you keep coming in here to post about it?

Agreed again :p

I have to admit, over the release boomf and all the campaigns, there is a very deep core to this game. I think what hits with me is the fact that it's so back to the roots, it's as if Episodes 1 2 and 3 were not made before this game was released and that is what i love about it. They take away the flashyness of the Clone wars and it's the real fight, the alliance between the Empire. I have not felt this nostalgic over a Star Wars game since Dark Forces 2. The more you play it, the more this feeling builds up and to be honest, makes the prequel trilogy entirely different films. Imho :p

well i loved the game for sure.. especially since im a hardcore RTS fan... i been playing the first RTS since they were released :) but besides that this game looks great and has an awesome gameplay.... it seems to repeat itself over and over... i tried most things in the game but... after more then a week of fulltime play it became boring for me.... but thats me.

as for the statement: no brains needed. all depends on how far you want to go... in another thread people say fighters are useless.... its only true if you can find no use for em :) just think or plan how you can make em usefull :) so brains is required,... if you want to :)

and the old star wars galaxies game... before NGE and before CU was the best SW game ever and the best feel for starwars in my opinion.. and that game required thinking wich i loved. anyway thats my opinion on things :)

HerbieZ,

I wonder if you agree though that EAW would be a superb engine over which to lay the supporting military creations found in the prequels... I too have a distaste for much of the prequel material, but I admit I would love to control Grievous and some Droid armies within the context of this game. Some games scream to be made...

For those who prefer KotOR (Knights Of The Old Republic) to EAW I say this - EAW is more of a real game. KotOR, as enjoyable an experience as it was, simply had you jump through an orderly series of statistical hoops to get to an end. By contrast I can play EAW.

Why, oh why, do people persist at comparing totally different game types with each other? KotOR 1+2 were both roleplaying games, while EaW is a real-time strategy game. One calls for dialogue and character immersion, while the other for strategic thinking and action. The absolutely only thing those games had in common were that they were all set in the Star Wars universe (and 4,000 years apart, to boot). If you're going to compare games and claim that one is better than the other, at least stick to the same genre.

There are so many superior RTS games compared to EAW! It may be a good Star Wars RTS (lol, says little), but it sure is not a good RTS in and of itself. If you want a significantly deeper RTS experience, try Total Annihilation or any of the Blizzard games. Rome:Total War does what EAW does, but does it better. I think Rebellion is also a better game (definitely a deeper game.)

EAW's ground RTS stuff reminds me a lot of Galactic Battlegrounds, which is definitely not good. The demo of EAW completely turned me off. I thought the ground battles where shallow, strangely difficult to play (super tanks going boom too easily), and had way too many "cheap" elements, like Rancors eating your elite troops, that ruined the "realism". The space combat is so simple and overly balanced that it was equally as uninteresting. Rebellion's space combat, as seemingly simplistic as it was, was more complex lol. It even had a z-axis!

But I don't want a deeper RTS experience; I want a Star Wars RTS experience. Who cares about puttering around in a giant super multi turret whatever-tank when you can crush your enemies in an AT-AT?

And as much as I loved Rebellion (it's still the oldest game I have installed on my computer) the space battles were a joke. Yes, there was a Z-axis, but it didn't matter. All the ships ever did was hang around in space and shoot at each other until one side won. No tactics, no manoeuvring, no intelligence, just pounding away. The side with the most ships always, always won.

More tactics in Rebellion than in EaW. In Rebellion you had to actually protect you ships, turn your ships so that they have the most guns pointed to the enemy, figure out which ships to target first, protect the ships carrying your troops and fighters, plus before the battle you could sabotage enemy ships, take out the commanders of the fleet, plus do missions to discover the content of the enemy fleet and what was on the planet. mmmm, now im going to go play Rebellion.

In Rebellion you had to actually protect you ships, turn your ships so that they have the most guns pointed to the enemy, figure out which ships to target first, protect the ships carrying your troops and fighters,

These are things you have to do in EaW as well.

• 1 month later...
Why, oh why, do people persist at comparing totally different game types with each other? KotOR 1+2 were both roleplaying games, while EaW is a real-time strategy game. One calls for dialogue and character immersion, while the other for strategic thinking and action. The absolutely only thing those games had in common were that they were all set in the Star Wars universe (and 4,000 years apart, to boot). If you're going to compare games and claim that one is better than the other, at least stick to the same genre.

No idea, I wonder if I'm gonna get flamed lol :mob:

Archived