Home

Books Read?

Samnmax221

I've recentyl read The Long Emergency by J H Kunstler and Power Down by soemone I can't remember. They're basically about what life will be like when the human race runs out of oil in the next 10 years. Scary stuff.

Hate Lord of the Flies. The message behind it, in my opinion, is bullsh*t. People call me an optimist, but humanity in no way is inherently evil. I find people who think that way to be strange, and people who write books about it are just plain unlikable.

You want a bad book, try A seperate peace by John Knowls, scool administrators require us to read it luckily our english teacher is a good guy and just made us watch the movie. The highlight of the whole movie is a song about Hitlers testicles

Hate Lord of the Flies. The message behind it, in my opinion, is bullsh*t. People call me an optimist, but humanity in no way is inherently evil. I find people who think that way to be strange, and people who write books about it are just plain unlikable.

So what do you think a pack of boys would do left alone on an island? Do you really think they'd be able to keep a society together? I don't think so. As soon as they figure out that there is nothing stopping them doing whatever they want, then it would descend into chaos.

And you can see that in the real world to. When a government collapses in a country, law and order dissapear and the people start to act on their worst instincts and will loot, pillage etc. Everything goes out of control.

By no means is the message bullsh*t.

So what do you think a pack of boys would do left alone on an island? Do you really think they'd be able to keep a society together? I don't think so. As soon as they figure out that there is nothing stopping them doing whatever they want, then it would descend into chaos.

And you can see that in the real world to. When a government collapses in a country, law and order dissapear and the people start to act on their worst instincts and will loot, pillage etc. Everything goes out of control.

You see, though, I don't think that's the point the book is trying to make.

No, a group of young boys can't hold a society together. Yes, people go crazy when their government falls. But what the book seems to be emphatically stating is that if you go to year zero, to human's natural instincts where society is judging nothing, then humans would be naturally savage, hateful, selfish, etc. I feel that is bullsh*t, personally. I feel that we'd be a kinder people at year zero. I feel society made us selfish. People are addicted to their cultures, that's why people flip out when a government falls.

You see, though, I don't think that's the point the book is trying to make.

No, a group of young boys can't hold a society together. Yes, people go crazy when their government falls. But what the book seems to be emphatically stating is that if you go to year zero, to human's natural instincts where society is judging nothing, then humans would be naturally savage, hateful, selfish, etc. I feel that is bullsh*t, personally. I feel that we'd be a kinder people at year zero. I feel society made us selfish. People are addicted to their cultures, that's why people flip out when a government falls.

Dude, society and rules are whatstop people from giving in to thier more evil instincts. People grow up with the training that certain things are off limits e.g. no killing, no stealing etc. When they lose the boundries of rules and society people beckon to their darkest instincts, these darkest instincts that in the end everyone has - mans hunter instincts. At year zero it's all about survival of the fittest.

Dude, society and rules are whatstop people from giving in to thier more evil instincts. People grow up with the training that certain things are off limits e.g. no killing, no stealing etc. When they lose the boundries of rules and society people beckon to their darkest instincts, these darkest instincts that in the end everyone has - mans hunter instincts. At year zero it's all about survival of the fittest.

Now we're talking Nature vs. Nurture, one of the ugliest discusion points around

Just going back to books I would like to mention some of them that most people can find:

Flywheel, Shyster & Flywheel, transcriptions from Groucho and Chico Marx radio shows;

Without Feathers and Side Effects, short stories by Woody Allen;

and Martian Chronicles, by Ray Bradbury - talking about year zero ...

For spanish and italian readers I would recomend Il superuomo di massa or El Superhombre De Masas - Mass Superman - by Umbert Eco, western hero development on novels since XVII century until nowadays.

I was delighted with that book back on college. He's not talking about Mars but Earth instead, and in such a blue and poetic manner.

In the end WE are the martians, he says.

Also, I always liked those small chapters between the bigger ones. Like The Taxpayer, for example.

Some trivia: The spanish version of the book is forworded by Jorge Luis Borges.

Archived