Home

The multiplayer population

I just bought EaW a few days ago, love it, can't wait to learn all the features before playing online.

Anyways, my question is: Is the multiplayer population always this small? I've only logged on a few times, and the most I ever see is about 120 people and close to 20 games. Is this considered low for EaW, or has it always been like this?

Thanks in advance.

That's about what I've seen from the very beginning. It changes depending on the time of day. The busiest times are in the evening (USA Time), and the weekends tend to have more occasional players than the weekdays.

Guest DarthMaulUK

Of course, gamespy tends to put people off. Personally, the online features are the games weakest link. It needs a smoother buddy list/chat thing, better system for ranking games. Normally you can get around 300

DMUK

It's better that you find friends to play with. It's not always easy to find decent folks with Gamespy.

I must disagree. I have been playing space multiplayer from the beginning. I didn't start out with any friends online, but I now have several people who I talk to and play with all the time. If you're polite and honorable, I don't think it's hard to find good opponents or teammates at all. Once in a while, all my buddies will be online at the same time, and I have a problem because there's too many people to get them all in one game, and they are all trying to PM one another at the same time.

It's just a matter of playing often enough to get to know people. Maybe I spend too much time online though. LoL

Im looking forward to playing online soon once I thoroughly learn the game. There's a lot of depth in EAW since its really 3 games in one and for me this means it has a long life as a game especially in mutiplayer.

My only concern is lag. Tried a few skirmishes in space briefly and every game was horrible, and no its not my machine or connection in all other games I play the lag is nowhere near as bad.

Hopefully 1.04 will go some way towards improving this.

You'll find the the absolute weakest aspect of online play is the vicious plague of quitters. You'll be lucky to get 1 complete game out of every 5.

Me and my TFL brethren find it so ridiculously hard to get games going cos of this plague of quitting at 1st sign of attack.

My only concern is lag. Tried a few skirmishes in space briefly and every game was horrible, and no its not my machine or connection in all other games I play the lag is nowhere near as bad.

I would be more concerned about the number of players than lag.

Looks like there's not a lot of folks online...

getting more players depends on all of us :) I've been on for the past 2 days with our QA guys as they are getting me more familiar with the game. Feel free to give me a msg on there if you see me and perhaps we can get a game. I will likely be on weekdays mon-wed about 5pm PST and maybe sporatically through other days.

Lets bring some good competition here!

You'll find the the absolute weakest aspect of online play is the vicious plague of quitters. You'll be lucky to get 1 complete game out of every 5.

Me and my TFL brethren find it so ridiculously hard to get games going cos of this plague of quitting at 1st sign of attack.

have you played aginst you though? it can be pretty devestating :xp:

anyway

ive played alot of games online, pity i dont improve :p

but there can be a hell of alot fo quitters out there, i will stay in a game no matter what as i cant stand quitters, unless i get a sync error or conneciton loss ofcourse

but besides the quiters, its the huge amount of rude and just generally terrible people that play

i dont see it too much on the uk server, but on the usa server, my god, loads of them, i went on the other day and ive never seen so many racist convosations in such a short amount of time, its quite disgusting

but besides all that, you can have some really great gmaes online when u find the right people, specially thos that can work as a team, i use to have a bunch of us that would play games togther, its really enjoyable

have you played aginst you though? it can be pretty devestating :xp:

Thanks for the compliment but we can't call ourselves good yet. Too many quitters have left us with far too many cheap wins and we just can't seem to find any skilled clans to go against. Once we have found a skilled Clan and played them then we could give ourselves a rating of skill (win or lose) It's quite frustrating that we have a small rep for being so good when we simply haven't earned it yet.

I'm sure our day will come.

The thing about "quitters" is in this game once certain things happen it becomes patently obvious that it is pointless going on so all you are doing by remaining in the game is delaying the inevitable.

Why continue when you have 3 planets and the other guy has 30...or you have 2 ships left in a nebulae and he has a massive fleet coming for you etc.

It happens in all online games. Just consider "quitting" as surrendering :ears1:

D corris, I remember you, you played on my and p5's team in the TFL internal game right :)

Hothman, I dont want to bring up clan names but when your oponents quit after 5 \ 10 min when its 4 vs 4 ( no heroes) it does affect the online gameplay negative. with 4 players you can get fast income even with no mines and get a devastating comback.

I agree with apoc " we can't call ourselves good yet". The online gameplay does suffer alot from 1st atack quitters, which I think is a shame.

Thanks for the compliment but we can't call ourselves good yet. Too many quitters have left us with far too many cheap wins and we just can't seem to find any skilled clans to go against. Once we have found a skilled Clan and played them then we could give ourselves a rating of skill (win or lose) It's quite frustrating that we have a small rep for being so good when we simply haven't earned it yet.

I'm sure our day will come.

true, but as i have seen from being in a team with two tfl guys, you work very well as a team, and can pretty much overwelm whoever your playing

its hard to find people online that will actually work as a team, and not some that will ge the nearest mine and do nothing but protect that mine wile elaving the rest fo the team to get blown into ntohingness

D corris, I remember you, you played on my and p5's team in the TFL internal game right :)

u bet i did, we kicked ass too :D

dcorris, we did not kick ass. The 1st game wasnt a real game. In the second both sides made mistakes and the balance of the battle did switch sides a couple of times. It was a good game and ive learned alot from it, but I can not say it was "kicking ass".

I must say that after all those clan matches/random matches, this was one of the best games ive had. Both sides played really well.

*jumps before the phone hits the wall and saves it*

FIRSTLY You only won cos I was on the bloody phone for the 1st 5 minutes!!!!

SECONDLY You only won the second game cos one of my team mates wouldnt listen to me!!!

*Grumbles

*Throws phone into wall

dcorris, we did not kick ass. The 1st game wasnt a real game. In the second both sides made mistakes and the balance of the battle did switch sides a couple of times. It was a good game and ive learned alot from it, but I can not say it was "kicking ass".

I must say that after all those clan matches/random matches, this was one of the best games ive had. Both sides played really well.

*jumps before the phone hits the wall and saves it*

lmao, i was just kidding guys, they were good games

as i had said at the end of the second one i totally lost track and didnt even relise we had taken the middle and had started sttacking there base due to the number of times the one winning had switched over, lol

anyway, back on topic :D

Guest DarthMaulUK

I've posted many times abouyt multiplayer and how poor it is. The games themselves can be fun but I am yet to actually complete a single game online from my last 20 games.

If you are into the ranking side of the game - it must be the worst online system I have ever seen. There is completely NO sense of community. Click 'Quick Match' and wait...wait, wait and wait. You can't chat to anyone, you can't pick settings, when your game does launch a quick 'hi' and you might get a response.

Otherwise, you play you win one battle and your opponent will drop. Dawn of War has its fair share of stat lovers and quitters but the design of their online gaming is so many times better than EaW which is why it still has a strong online community playing it - even after almost 2 years.

EaW online needs an urgent overhaul if it is to last the distance

DMUK

Archived