Home

Petroglyph Community News

Delphi-PG

Hi guys,

I want to introduce to you our newest member of the Petroglyph team, Kevin Yu, who will be better known to you as SAGEKING. He will be taking over my spot as the Petroglyph Community Manager. This will allow me to focus in on some very exciting stuff currently in the works for you guys, as well as, give the community a full-time direct contact who can answer your questions in a timely manner. Over the coming months SAGEKING will be setting up many events for the community and also be serving as a conduit to where you guys can relay feedback to the development team. He has a lot of RTS experience and is very excited to be working with you guys.

Thanks guys, we look forward to really getting our community support into high gear for EAW and the future.

Take care,

Shout out to all you Petroglyph and EAW fans!

I’ve just been brought on board the Petroglyph team as the full-time Community Manager to ensure that the development team hears all your feedback and we can continue to grow the Empire at War community. Be excited! I’m here to organize community events, setup tournaments & games against the developers, work closely with our loyal fan sites that have given us so much support over the past year, and of course give away a few freebies along the way!

Just like you guys, I am also an RTS gamer and have been playing them for years and years. Many of my favorites before I joined up with Petroglyph were actually games that they’ve put their creative energies into designing such as the Command and Conquer series, Battle for Middle Earth, and of course Star Wars Empire at War. Some of you may know me as the founder of the clan EPIC, which has participated in clan wars for several RTS games and created many RTS leaders. Before starting at Petroglyph, I’ve also been involved in much competitive multiplayer play, replay posts, interviews with developers, and the administration of several community forums such as Gamereplays.org.

The first day I came into Petroglyph, I knew they all had their heads on straight. Everybody here is really passionate about creating quality games while incorporating new ideas to help break out of the standard RTS mold. Furthermore, they are focusing in on the online community as a top priority by hiring me to get involved and help the fans and webmasters with whatever they need.

The community gives life to the RTS genre and we intend to support you with everything we can offer. We want to help expand this community base of creativity, passion, and zeal. I also believe that the fans often times come up with the best ideas to guide where this industry should go. Artists send in brilliant fan art and come up with great signatures for players in their respective forums. Programmers design extremely creative modifications to the out of the box game. Competitive players give us constructive input which helps us make the game more balanced and challenge all facets of functionality to our games.

Again I am here to support all of your goals so feel free to let me know how best to serve you guys. Definitely shoot me any ideas you may have to support our RTS community and I will do my best to promptly respond to each and every one of you. My game handle is SAGEKING and I’ll be checking the boards and lobbies every day. I look forward to having some galactic battles with everyone and making your RTS gaming experience epic!

SAGEKING-PG

Definitely feel free to chat with me about anything, I've done the hardcore competitive RTS play, I've done old school game modding/map modding back in Starcraft lol, been a part of huge growing community website networks, and pulled all those countless late night video game binges :)

Welcome Sage King. I am extremely impressed with the "down-to-earth" style of Petroglyph. I see they are continuining to listen to the fans and supporters of the game by electing you, "to be our personal representative on the council." lol

Given that you said you enjoy feed back i have an issue i feel should be adressed.

In the game (single player rebellion) if you have a fleet with about the same number of each ship (for example: you have 10 a wings, 10 bombers, 10 gunships, 10 assualt f. etc.) the game gives you about 1-2 of each to start out with...I feel this is an amazing flaw in the game. If you only have 1-2 of each ship you dont get to capitalize on each ships strengths. I think you should be allowed to set up squadrons, or sub-fleets. Each group of a particular type ship is given its own squad number and before entering the battle you get to decide which squads to come in first. (kind of like you do with ground battles) *i want my first wave of troops to pound the enemy into submission before the army even arrives. i.e. 2-3 assaults, and a bunch of gunships/marauders.*

Also, if you have 10 assault frigates, 5 gunships, 5 marauders and 20 fighters....you are given about 10 fighters right at the beginning. This is a huge disadvantage because the Empire fighters have a sizable delay period and can be deployed throughout the game without hurting population count. The fighters should be allowed to be "called in" during the battle. You should still have to build each squad but they should be reserve units. For ex: you have a group of 3 bombers attacking an undefended mon cal. This option would allow you to call in a group of fighters to take out the bombers. (Kind of like in battle for middle earth, where you could call the rohirrim or ents, elves, etc.) Seeing as the Rebels are known for sneakyness and raids, it would seem logical that they would deploy these types of tactics.

I dont know much about the game engine or if anything of the sort is possible, but it would be a great feature for a future petroglyph RTS project ;) Expansion to EAW or a whole new game. Personally I LOVE the game, and i consider it the crown jewel in my Lucas arts collection. (except for maybe kotor series) I wish you and everyone at petro. continued fortune and I cant wait to see what you release next!

Actually- I expect and hope there will be much feed back from the community, but for me and the dev team it needs to be organized to give you the proper responses. Is it possible to open a forum specifically for threads (members can create one thread per information request) that I can reply to? I can foresee many duplicates in questions if they are added onto threads like this (questions about ships on the introduction thread). If you guys can create something like that I will be quite active there to answer your questions and it'll be easier on me as well to check one place for questions directed to me about the game :)

Archived