Home

X-Men 3 Good/Bad Debate

Hopefully he will be since a swan dive off Lady Liberty would be nothing for Wolverine

since Sabretooth and Wolverine worked together in Weapon X... and we all know that Sabretooth was nearly a Wolverine... he would've been if Wolverine wouldn't have went berzerk during his experiments

, and hopefully it will be longer than a few minutes.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe Morgenstern gave it a very good review in the Wall Street Journal. He was impressed with how well new director Brett Ratner orchestrated the pacing of the movie. He especially praised Ian McKellan's performance as Magneto and the character development of Jean Grey (Famke Janssen). Compared to the previous two movies which he called "good, if uninspired", this one is "terrifically superb entertainment".

He also mentioned there is a secret scene at the very end of the credits.

well, i finally saw the movie for myself about two hours ago. initial response: good, but not great.

this movie is definately eclipsed by the first two in overall quality and story, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a good movie. Ratner did a very good job of pacing the movie, but his flaws are definately with the way he handles the story. the story itself could've used some more subtlety and better execution. parts that relate to the story happen quickly and forcefully.

the other complaint is with two side-plots in the movie. yeah, its nice to find out what happens to a certain woman and how it relates to the rest of the characters, but it has very little impact on the story itself until the end of the movie. the other side-plot is extremely basic, and it almost detracts from the story due to its inclusion.

the key to this movie is over the top special effects and action sequences. the 'wow' factor is insanely high and definately helps to make up for the story, although not entirely.

overall, the story could've been done better, as there was some fantastic material to work with. however, this is your typical summer movie, and its the most impressive of the movies to come out thus far. rating: 7/10

I saw the movie just now and It's so good that I don't even know if scarface is my favourite movie anymore, and it has to be pretty damn awesome to compare to a movie like scarface

Whuh?!? This was by far the worst of the X-Men movies. The writing was, I thought, terrible. The only good thing about it was the fighting and it still could have been much better like the

Fight between Pyro and Iceman. It was them just shooting ice and fire in a stream at one another and then a cheesy line about staying in school.

My parents paid for me to go see this today, it was really good but there were some scenes that could've been left on the cutting room floor and a few scenes that could've been better.

Macleod, all of the actors are saying this is the final one. They had the actors on Leno, conan and Carson all week last week stating this, but there are a few moments in the movie that lead me to think otherwise... especially the scene after the credits. Hopefully there will be a Wolverine spinoff Movie.

Overall the movie left me shaking my fist at the giant screen

Rogue gets cured : (

Yeah, I know. Sabretooth, as far as I know, took a dive from the Statue of Liberty. But if Toad is really in X3, maybe there's Sabretooth too, though this time I suspect they only make a short appearance.

Ah yes, I was always the heroic one. But you have no ****ing idea how much it hurts your bum jumping from the Liberty!

But, getting back to the topic, I am a mild fan of the X-Men at best. I used to like the X-Men Evolution series and the comics and such. The movies, I did not like as much. But The Last Stand seems interesting. I'll take a look later on the famed idiot box.

^

Well, I never have looked at the comics

I don't know man, with the above statement you may enjoy this one as well. If I hadn't read the comics I may have also. ;)

I understand it would have been nigh impossible to keep 100% accuracy to the books in under 2 hours, but what we ended up with was -50.

I don't know man, with the above statement you may enjoy this one as well. If I hadn't read the comics I may have also. ;)

Not likely, I have also been reading about it and I am not particularly fond of some of the story points/events either.

Besides, not seeing it on the 'big screen' will not kill me. ;)

I'm not going to give my 7.50 to see this movie. Why? Because sequels to the prequels usually get worst. There are exceptions though to some movies, which had great sequels. Trrible sequelswould have to be Rocky V and the upcoming Rocky movie. Although it hasn't came out yet I doubt the Rocky Balboa movie would be worth watching.

I just saw X-Men 3 and I think I'm of a similar mind to stingerhs. The movie was good but not great. Definitely not as good as the first two installments. The story just had too many huh? moments for me. For instance,

How did Jean Grey survive all that time at the bottom of Alkali Lake? Xavier partially addressed this by hypothesing that the Phoenix part of her created a telekinetic bubble that protected her from the mass of water that engulfed her. But come on, she didn't come out again until at least a month later, right?. Where did she get her air? What did she eat? I needed something more to get this part of the story to work for me.

Why did the Golden Gate not sink into San Francisco Bay when Magneto dropped it between Alcatraz and the city proper? The mere fact that he ripped out the entire bridge span using his abilities was pushing the realm of believability for me. But then he somehow was able to have the bridge defy the laws of physics? The Golden Gate is a suspended bridge that requires all its components in order to function. The bridge no longer had a foundation or attachments to land. Unless Magneto was using his powers to hold the bridge up during the entire battle (I don't think so) the bridge should have been laying in chunks at the bottom of the bay with maybe the towers sticking out of the water. I think the movie creators could have found a better, more believable method to get Magneto's army to Alcatraz.

And then, having heard there was a scene after the credit roll, I hung around to find out Xavier is alive? Sorry but I saw his body dissolve into little bitty pieces. Not a good idea to include this if they are indeed not planning another X-Men movie.

I enjoyed the interaction between the various characters, observing how the younger X-Men "grew" into their roles as full-fledged team members. And I did find it interesting that the writers found a way to show us Rebecca Romijn's real face and body, uncovered from all the Mystique makeup. That was... nice. :brow:

And I did find it interesting that the writers found a way to show us Rebecca Romijn's real face and body, uncovered from all the Mystique makeup. That was... nice. :brow:
that was definately nice, but its still a shame that she had to 'cured'. Mystique's character was one of my favorites due to her shapeshifting ability and ninja-like skills. :(

now im not sure if this is true or not, just a rumor as far as i know, but i read a HUGE spoiler on another board

read at own risk:

Cyclops is killed by Pheonix

still, the source isnt exactly a reliable one, so take it with a grain of salt

we don't know what happen to Scott, theres no proof of him dieing and also how did Jean end up on those rocks and why did Cyke go his not dead but his somwhere. and i want Jean to come back for a fouth.

Phoenix seemed like she engulfed him up and his powers... there is the possibility that she did the Professor and many of Magneto's Underlings... BAAMM!!!! Decomp, but there is also a scene where Wolverine looks into Scott's glasses and you see him screaming for help... Trapped but not dead maybe? They really don't address that issue (one of the scenes I thought could've been better0. If he was went Decomp then his glasses would've went with him. If he got trapped in his glasses they could've easily just broke his glasses and let him out. If she sucked Cyclops up lik she was planning on doing to Wolverine why whould they have pu the scene with him trying to get out of the glasses?

I can't remember correctly but isn't Rogue suppossed to be with Gambit during the "Age of Apocalypse" yet she's cured before they introduce Gambit (If they ever do) *Shakes fist* I think that's what a fourth movie would be about.

I read somewhere a while ago that they were going to kill off Wolverine. I was wondering if anybody that still reads comics can tell me if they had done this already.

Saw the movie today, so I thought I'd post my impressions. Now, here's what I think, the movie is good... but... it just isn't as good as the previous two parts. The whole movie was really trying to emphasise that it's the last of the X-Men movies and some of the characters (Angel) were completely unnecessary for the plot.

The following spoiler is ONLY for those impatient people who want to know the juicy parts of the movie before they see it:

Professor Xavier is killed by Jean/Phoenix

Scott Summers is killed by Jean/Phoenix (although there is no scene actually showing his death, it's pretty obvious what happened to him)

Rogue gets cured, she is no longer a mutant

Mystique gets cured saving Magneto

Magneto gets cured in the final battle

Storm takes over the management of Xavier's school

All in all a lot of action and not enough conversation.

As for that credits scene - I didn't see it, but I'd like to know what happens in it, so please someone post it with a spoiler tag, so we don't ruin it for those who haven't seen the movie.

Archived