Home

"Unaltered" Original Trilogy Limited 2006 Edition DVD thread (still in stores!)

playloud

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never saw all of the originals and I never really want to, I guess technically they aren't canon. One thing I really hate is the song at the end of ROTJ, that is one special edition change that no-one can question. I mean the Ewoks singing? I thought it had turned into an episode of the f***ing Muppet Show.

Andy, Han doesn't shoot first they both shoot almost at the same time Greedo a very very short time before Han. (How can Greedo shoot when he's dead?)

I haven't seen any of the Special DVD editions...

Is the only ending you've seen the one with the stupid ewok song then?

MachineCult, bitter are we? Sounds like somebody's upset that the fans of Star Wars for 20 years before the Special Editions existed finally get to see the movies that put Lucas on the map on DVD, reversing all his excuses of the past 9 years.

Don't get upset, you can still buy yet another copy of your revamped 2004 editions with this new set that's coming out in September.

Anyway, it's about time. ;)

Lucas will be redeemed in the eyes of the fans...

"They no longer exist for me." Heh, the lure of more money won out. Oh well, whatever it takes... I'll be singing the Ewok song along with everyone else!

With the exception of the Han/Greedo scene, I prefer the 2004 DVD editions. I am sure there will still be people who are upset over the upcoming release, as the original cut will only have a Dolby 2.0 mix. I am sure there will still be a group of people who want to pick and choose which Star Wars they have, and will still think George Lucas is the Devil for not releasing the version that THEY want.

Personally, I am happy that he is releasing the original, and I will buy it. I still prefer the 2004 editions, but it will be fun to compare the original to the newest release.

If I had my choice, I would want the 2004 edition, with the original Han/Greedo scene, and have the lightsabers redone to look like Prequel (specifically AoTC/RoTS) sabers. Don't ask me why such little things really make a difference, for I have no good answer. If George Lucas would not have set a precedent for changing movies once they are done, I probably wouldn't even think about such things.

Even if the 2004 Editions were not so shodilly handled with the sound and colors, I'd still prefer the originals in many ways, not just Greedo. I don't care what planet you're from, "Jedi Rocks" is much stinkier than "Lapti Nek" and while the "new ending" to ROTJ is kind of a nice wrap up to the saga, it's a bit distracting from the celebration of ROTJ itself (and the Ewok dancing is a bit out of place with the new music). Plus I have nostalgia for the original ending (and no gungans yelling "wesa free!" argh, Lucas had to rub Jar Jar in our faces one last time, didn't he?).

And Ghost Hayden? What an insult!

Let's not forget the censored Imperial officer killshots in ANH (though the redone TIE/X-Wing dogfighting was cool with the CG I agree) and the badly delivered lines of Ian McDiarmond as the stoned looking Emperor hologram in ESB, and the unnecessary redubbing of Boba Fett to make him less scary as the henchman.

Oola's last scream is cool, but did we need to see Fett flirting with the dancers? Or those super cartoonish new creatures in Jabba's court? How about the slapstick in Mos Eisley? (arggh.. forshadowing of Mos Espa in TPM!)

Luke screams as he falls (Emperor's scream ripped from ROTJ) then he doesn't (good).

Obi-Wan's new "Kraytr Dragon Yell" doesn't sound as scary now. I know it was originally just a modified Dewback growl but still. That would have made perfect sense, since a Dewback would have likely meant to the sandpeople "STORMTROOPERS!" and they would run away scared, since the Kraytr dragon deal is never identified as such in the movie itself (even if that was the original intention).

Plus I miss the original lines ("You were lucky you don't taste very good!" Luke to R2D2 after being spit out by the monster... Han to Lando: "Trust me." when he shoots the tentacle of the Sarlacc).

New CG Jabba is better than old CG Jabba, but the scene was just poorly handled. Same dialouge as with Greedo, stepping on Jabba's tail (doh, more slapstick!), and Fett mugging for the camera. ;P

And those giant "rings" in the Death Star/Alderaan explosions. At first I thought they were cool (even though they were a blatant ripoff of the Praxis Explosion in Star Trek 6, and the nuclear blast in space in Stargate), now I am sick of them. Plus the 2004 set really screwed up the Death Star blast (you can see the blue screen artifacting and all the color is sucked out of it).

While the new sequence in ESB trying to "build tension" to rescue Luke isn't bad I don't think, I do prefer Vader's old line delivery for "Bring my shuttle" where he sounds pissed, rather than a more business like "Alert my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival" (unused line from original Star Wars), and then showing us an unused shot from ROTJ of Vader on the DEATH STAR (rather than his star destroyer... yep, that's Jererrod greeting him with his voice muted out!)... oops.

I liked Biggs, but I wanted to see MORE of him. And why insert a guy walking past to cut off part of Red Leader's speech? I wanted to hear about him knowing Luke's father! But I guess since Lucas decided he didn't want to write that character into the prequels, he just nixed the whole thing.

They looked really cool in the theater I guess I should say (and sounded cool with the shockwave whoosing past you in your seat), but now they just look silly on the small screen, and I'd like to have the old explosions back.

There were just so many unnecessary changes (though the rest I could live with), while they ignored stuff that ought to have been fixed (like the inaccurate Death Star schematics in ANH, or the uncolored saber blades, garbage mattes around ships, etc). I could have lived with the changes if the originals had been available as an alternative. At least that's finally possible now...

I liked the cleaned up video on the 2004 editions, but the bad color timing in numerous scenes, and the audio gaffes were quite annoying and detracted from the experience. The general lack of special features related to the movies was also disappointing (barring Empire of Dreams of course, though it mostly focused on the original Star Wars, not the other two movies, oddly). No deleted scenes, no additional commentaries (Ben Burtt is an awesomely talented sound man, but I'd like to hear somebody besides him for key scenes!).

This is really what they should have done with the first box set.. give us the originals and the new revamped versions side by side.

It's too bad it'll be a "limited release" so I guess I'll have to take advantage, until the next ploy to get me to buy Star Wars again (this is only the third time I'd be buying an official Star Wars trilogy set, total, including VHS releases).

I just want to make sure i'm reading this part right

In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie and, as bonus material, the theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy Star Wars as it first appeared in 1977, Empire in 1980, and Jedi in 1983.

does this mean the disc being released this fall will have both the 2004 edition and the original on it? meaning if i want both versions on dvd i just have to get the fall release?

That's the way it souds :D

I will buy the new release because it will be nice to see the originals again. Last time I saw those was a long time ago... :p However, my pick is the revised version, with the exception with throwing Hayden in the end of RotJ. That was pathetic imo. The revised version rocks compared to the original, imo. I still can't figure out how a bounty hunter can shoot first from across a table and still miss by a good couple feet :rolleyes:

So from what I gather...

They aren't doing any new fixes to the 2004 Editions for this set.

We're getting three packs, priced at $30 each.

A Star Wars pack, an Empire Strikes Back pack, and a Return of the Jedi pack.

Each is two discs. Disc 1=2004 version (just as was previously released twice), Disc 2=1993 "theatrical" edition

I don't think it will literally be the "theatrical versions" because the 1993 editions could refer to those released on the home market, that is, with a different sound mix, and the original Star Wars would have the modified (1981) opening crawl "Episode IV: A New Hope."

Originally in the SW.com news update they made reference to the version of Star Wars BEFORE the opening crawl ws modified, but then quickly deleted that line, so they must have gotten false information.

But yeah, when you buy these packs, you'll be forced to get the 2004 version, which is exactly the same as the version that was released in 2004 (4 disc set) and in 2005 (3 disc set). No "Bonus Disc" with Empire of Dreams this time (that was only in the 4 disc set).

I agree with you that this is what they SHOULD have done in the first place, back in 2004. Rather, I think they should have delayed the 2004 set and released this that they're going to release in September, for the 2005 set. Make it a 7 disc set, leave out the Episode III junk and Battlefront II junk, which would leave room for Deleted Scenes, fix the bad color timing and sound gaffes, and that would be the "ultimate" Star Wars DVD set. Sadly, that's just wishful thinking. I'm not in charge over at the Ranch, so this is what we got.

At least another set means another opportunity for fans to make their own edits if they like. The Deleted Scenes remain in low quality format on the 'net and on the out of print "Behind the Magic" CD-ROM (though a few can be seen on the trailers on the Bonus Disc). :(

"They no longer exist for me." Heh, the lure of more money won out. Oh well, whatever it takes... I'll be singing the Ewok song along with everyone else!
Or possibly he felt that since there was such a demand, he decided to release them to please the fans.

But that can't be, because Lucas has to be evil incarnate. :)

It's probably both. But clearly he's compromised his "principles" by doing this. In any case, I'm glad!

My insinuation that he's just doing this for money comes from the fact that he's releasing them as seperate bundles and packing in the 2004 Editions (for the third release of that set in a row).

• 2 weeks later...

why anyone wants to pay their hard earned for an oldschool laserdisc transfer is beyond me. It isnt even in anamorphic !! lolz. I could post screenies to show you the ugliness of such a thing, but i wont. On todays large displays, especially LCD screens(like my 27 and 45") it would look HORRIBLE!

Still, as long as it stops the O-OT whiners, its a plus :)

mtfbwya

It wouldn't look that bad, I've seen what they look like on big widescreen HD plasma display and 19 in LCD display (non widescreen). No worse than brand new VHS tape anyway.

If you have your face pasted up close to the display and are comparing it to the 2004 editions, yes it'll look far from perfect. But just to watch? Not bad at all.

Still, as long as it stops the O-OT whiners, its a plus

Aw hells no. Lucas secretly enjoys the whining, so he'll never give it 100%, always leaving room for some whining.

- No anamorphic/no restoration (not even a competent one)

- Only DD 2.0 stereo (no mono mix, no 6 channel pcm)

- No extras (deleted scenes for example)

- Limited time release (and never again? or just to release them again in a few years for another dip)

- Bad covers (why not theatrical covers? though fans can print their own)

- Have to buy 2004 editions with it (in three seperate packs)

Ya gotta keep poking and prodding Lucas... he says he wants to be done with Star Wars... does he honestly think one more half a$$ed release will "end all interest" in it?

It's a fan loyalty test, that's it! Dangle another carrot... ;)

I myself remember watching the original cut of the OT as a kid and I loved them. (And I am old enough to remember seeing ROTJ in the theater in '83. :) )

I have no problem with the 2004 versions or the original cut versions, I like both. Will I buy these new editions? Yeah, probably. I'm a starwars fan and I will sell my soul to George by giving him more money for yet another edition of these three films. :D

(This will be the fifth version the OT I will own. Yikes!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I've heard, some of the changes are drastic, especially 'Han shot first'. :( So I prefer the orignals, though I might get this package anyway.

Thank GOD! Even such a little thing anoyed the crap outa me! Han fireing first defines his scoundrel character. I'm very happy about the originals comming to DVD, buying them on pre-order.

• 2 weeks later...
I never saw all of the originals and I never really want to, I guess technically they aren't canon. One thing I really hate is the song at the end of ROTJ, that is one special edition change that no-one can question. I mean the Ewoks singing? I thought it had turned into an episode of the f***ing Muppet Show.

Wow. You must be a youngling. When did they loose their place as canon. Did something occur, which I did not know about?

I liked the end of the original version of ROTJ. Yeah, the change probally needed to happen, but I grew up with that weird ending. Hehehe...

I wonder what Yoda would say. You made fun of the Muppet Show. I grew up with that show as well. Yoda (Frank Oz) the second voice to Kermit the Frog. I personally prefer the Muppet of Yoda over the digital.

I welcome the 1977 version. Plus, I consider Star Wars: A New Hope as Episode I. Hehehehe...

I have to go and call Yoda. Hehehe... I think he would like to hear what you said. F.Y.I. - My avatar was directly taken from my ESB DVD.

Puppet Yoda live forever. :)

----Edit----

Come to think of it. I don't believe I am going to buy the 1977 version. Since it will be bundled with the ones I allready have, I think it would be a little waste of money. Too bad he didn't release the 1977 version first. I would not have bought the special edditions. Bummer.

Wow. You must be a youngling. When did they loose their place as canon. Did something occur, which I did not know about?

Canonically, Ewoks don't sing, the Death Stars tractor beam controls aren't written in english and Anakins force ghost is him at the age of 21.

and, I grew up loving the originals, I was 12 when episode 1 came out, and when the OT DVDs came out, I loved those changes, they make all the films fit as a series.

I wonder what Yoda would say. You made fun of the Muppet Show. I grew up with that show as well. Yoda (Frank Oz) the second voice to Kermit the Frog. I personally prefer the Muppet of Yoda over the digital.

I have to go and call Yoda. Hehehe... I think he would like to hear what you said. F.Y.I. - My avatar was directly taken from my ESB DVD.

Puppet Yoda live forever. :)

Wow, okay... I didn't even mention Yoda, so I don't know where that came from.

Archived