Home

"Unaltered" Original Trilogy Limited 2006 Edition DVD thread (still in stores!)

playloud

Canonically, Ewoks don't sing, the Death Stars tractor beam controls aren't written in english and Anakins force ghost is him at the age of 21.

and, I grew up loving the originals, I was 12 when episode 1 came out, and when the OT DVDs came out, I loved those changes, they make all the films fit as a series.

Wow, okay... I didn't even mention Yoda, so I don't know where that came from.

You mentioned Muppet Show. Yoda is a puppet, and Frank Oz did the voice for Kermit the Frog on the Muppet Show.

I was 12 when episode 1 came out.

Birthday:

August 25, 1987

Yeah. You are young. I was 3 when Episode IV hit the big screen. My first rememberable movie was 'Empire Strikes Back', but my parents did bring me to the theater to see Star Wars: A New Hope. When 'The Phantom Menace' hit the theater I was 23. That could explain why you are more open minded to the changes. Hehehe... Thats is oky. Everything will be fine. Hehehe... You just built a different perspective than your elders. Hehehe...

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kurgan I demand that my personal information is deleted from his post.

I was about 7 or 8 when the OT special edition hit the big screen, so my age doesn't really have anything to do with it, I "grew up with the original trilogy" and everything, but not being a nostalgic old man "Star Wars wasn't like that in my day", I liked the PT, and I liked the OT DVD, because these movies are meant to be a series, going from I to VI, and from now on that is how kids are going to watch them.

I am going to carbon-date myself, but oh well... Did anyone ever get Star Wars: The Original cut on records. They had a version on record, which the listener would read along. Ignore the fact that I linked a blog site, for I am only trying to show you the pictures.

Star Wars : A New Hope : Read Along

http://checkthecoolwax.blogspot.com/2006/02/star-wars-new-hope-read-along.html

Star Wars : Empire Strikes Back : Read Along

http://checkthecoolwax.blogspot.com/2006/02/star-wars-empire-strikes-back-read.html

Star Wars : Return Of The Jedi : Read Along

http://checkthecoolwax.blogspot.com/2006/02/star-wars-return-of-jedi-read-along.html

Nostelgic... All the way... Hehehe...

The days when Han shot first, and Boba Fett was cold and ruthless. The days when the Ewoks danced and sang, and Sabastian Shaw was the force ghosts at the end of ROTJ. Hehehe...

Wasn't there another record, one that had the actual movie track, not the music, but a lot of the acting and such along with a set of pictures?

Oh, and why is Shaw better than Christiansen? He ain't. Putting Hayden in makes the entire saga more consistent. Not to mention that Shaw looked like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man :lol:

Ah Star Wars is all about nostalgia. These whipper snappers nowadays don't understand it like you and me!

;)

I was 5 when ROTJ first came out in theaters, and I was thrilled to see it. I saw the re-release of A New Hope (yes, it was "A New Hope" by then) as well, but I never saw ESB in theaters until the SE's in 1997.

Anyway, I can understand if you weren't alive in 1985 (the last time ROTJ was re-released, '86 for Bulgaria; ANH was last shown in '82, though '86 in Spain; ESB in '82, '83 in Australia) if you don't have special feelings for these films how they were before Lucas started changing things around drastically. Just don't deny us our dreams and fan fulfillment. ;)

Seriously though, who's the more nerdy or geeky, the people who whined for the originals from 1997 to 2006, (and are now getting them thanks in large part to their whining) or the folks who gloated about the SE's being better and now are pissed off that the originals are finally officially seeing the light of day on DVD?

I don't think I've seen anyone who prefers the SE get "pissed off" about the OOT coming out. I'm kind of glad they are, personally, even though I prefer the SE, because I'm geeky enough to play them side by side and pick out the changes :nut:

And I'm old enough to remember seeing Star Wars opening weekend in 77, let alone '85, and I do have a special place in my heart for the OOT, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate (or prefer, as the case may be) some the changes made for the sake of continuity or, for example, cleaning up the rather cheesy (in hindsight) explosion of DS1 :lol:

OTOH, Han did shoot first. I saw him. I was there.

Ah Star Wars is all about nostalgia. These whipper snappers nowadays don't understand it like you and me!

;)

I was 5 when ROTJ first came out in theaters, and I was thrilled to see it. I saw the re-release of A New Hope (yes, it was "A New Hope" by then) as well, but I never saw ESB in theaters until the SE's in 1997.

Anyway, I can understand if you weren't alive in 1985 (the last time ROTJ was re-released, '86 for Bulgaria; ANH was last shown in '82, though '86 in Spain; ESB in '82, '83 in Australia) if you don't have special feelings for these films how they were before Lucas started changing things around drastically. Just don't deny us our dreams and fan fulfillment. ;)

Seriously though, who's the more nerdy or geeky, the people who whined for the originals from 1997 to 2006, (and are now getting them thanks in large part to their whining) or the folks who gloated about the SE's being better and now are pissed off that the originals are finally officially seeing the light of day on DVD?

I give George credit for releasing that extra features dvd. The vintage tv/movie trailers are so primitive that they look cool. ESB's vintage trailers are so legendary. From the watching the extra-long-long documentary, George said he created them without even starting the film. :)

The folks who gloated about the SE's being better are more nerdy. Hehehe...

Whinning about not getting the 1977 release is more like preserving antiquity. Hehehe... (I threw the last 'Hehehe...' to freak MachineCult out.) :)

• 1 month later...

I hate people who say the special/DVD editions ruined the movies, not only do I like a lot of the changes, but I really think the better quality makes up for the changes to those who don't (seriously, watch an older version of A New Hope... bleh). But I would like to see the first versions anyway, like my parents, so I like it.

Have you people heard of those idiots at originaltrilogy.com who are actually whining because even though they're getting the original versions they begged for, they're mad because they didn't get them in some stupid certain format? People like these are such spoiled nerds... seriously...

They have been wanting the originals on DVD for a long time, and now that they finally are getting it, they found out that will likely be from an old Laserdisc master, as opposed to a 35mm film master. As such, the release would not be anamorphic (which is very limiting for people who have HDTV TVs, or TVs that have a verticle squeeze mode. They want a pristine anamorphic version of the originals. No more, no less. I can't say that I blame them. The 2004 DVD transfers were anamorphic, and one would expect the same for the originals.

I don't mind the special editions (some of it I like, some I don't). I will buy the originals, just so I can compare them with the current versions, and any future releases.

• 4 weeks later...

As far as I know, the tins come with the tin. If I bought it, it would cost nearly $90 for me (tax included).

Also, I noticed in another flyer, Future Shop, they are also offering a deal. I think it comes with a holo cover. And Zeller's is offering HBC points. Though, some of this maybe just in Canada.

Yeah, so it looks like most retailers are offering deals when you purchase them.

I ,for one, am planning to purchase them. (I know I have changed my mind) And also going to finally get the Prequels. Since, at Future Shop, all the Star Wars movies are on sale. :D

I hate people who say the special/DVD editions ruined the movies, not only do I like a lot of the changes, but I really think the better quality makes up for the changes to those who don't (seriously, watch an older version of A New Hope... bleh). But I would like to see the first versions anyway, like my parents, so I like it.

Have you people heard of those idiots at originaltrilogy.com who are actually whining because even though they're getting the original versions they begged for, they're mad because they didn't get them in some stupid certain format? People like these are such spoiled nerds... seriously...

I hope you know, you just called me an idiot and a spoiled nerd.

Why do you hate me?

Seriously though, without all the whining, you wouldn't be getting these 1993 laser disc dumps.

What would you do, if your favorite movie, was released this year, without Dolby 5.1 (which is equivalent to how the movies were released in theaters in the six channel format), or anamorphic widescreen (which is STANDARD for theatrical movies released on DVD and has been for years), for a limited time only, and you had to buy some other movie at the same time just to get it?

Would you just dutifully buy it without comment? Other, lesser movies have gotten better treatments than Star Wars, on DVD format. Lowry Digital dropped the ball on the 2004 set (which was rushed out to promote a mediocre video game, Star Wars Battlefront), and now they've given us a substandard rip of the old movies, to promote the 2004 revisions (again) and LEGO Star Wars II (a sequel to a game based on a toy promoting Star Wars, which I'll admit isn't bad, but still!).

I like the 2004 set as well, but the restoration is ruined by the fact that the colors are wrong in so many scenes (the lightsabers are just ruined throughout the trilogy, as are the explosions, unless you really like pink and orange!), the sound is goofed up in A New Hope (but the French listeners get the proper music, for some reason). Then Fox has the gall to call these "deliberate creative decisions." How silly is that?

Let's face it, these "whining nerds" have a point. Their criticisms are valid. No need to be hatin'... ;)

And just to clarify something, the "nerds" (including myself) asked for the films as they were shown in theaters, not "as they were shown on home video in 1993." While we're getting a (re-created on a computer) original 1977 crawl for Star Wars (no "A New Hope") which is good, the rest just isn't up to snuff.

Anamorphic widescreen is not some obscure enhancement, it makes the movie closer to the theatrical presentation. Without this, on a widescreen display, you'll have to blow it up with the zoom feature (or else you have veritcal black bars on the sides of the screen). Blowing it up (your only option now, since it isn't anamorphic) loses you detail and creates extra grain/pixels. It's not as if the technology doesn't exist to make an anamorphic version of the Star Wars trilogy. Several fan editors have done it long before this set was even announced.

Dolby 2.0 is fine for simulating the original experience of the theater for most people. However, 5.1 comes closer to re-creating the theatrical experience for many others, because all of the films were released in select theaters with six channel sound. So for those people, they're being gipped. And in fact, if they were really after re-creating the theatrical experience, they'd give us the option of a MONO track for the original Star Wars (with the alternate sound stuff like the original voice of Aunt Beru before it was redubbed out of synch with her lips, some alternate dogfight/stormtrooper lines, etc) in addition to the 2.0 and 5.1 tracks.

We still have yet to find out which sound track they are using. Will it also be the circa 1993 soundtrack or the altered one from the THX "Faces" set? (with altered lines like Luke's comment to R2D2 after the swamp monster spits him out, or Han's line to Lando in the Sarlacc pit before he shoots the tentacle, or the line the Stormtroopers say as they are searching Mos Eisley buildings for the droids, etc)

I don't mind that Lucas tweaks his movies (as I've said a million times), I just think it feels petty for many of us that he'll at first refuse to release these, and then when he does, he seems to do so in such a grudging fashion, that he refuses to adhere to the most basic standards of quality that other DVD producers of far lesser works than Star Wars adhere to, much less to standards that he himself constantly aspires to.

This is better than nothing, but that doesn't mean we can't call a lemon a lemon.

*puts quarter into soap box donation slot*

Btw, they should just sell an empty collector's tin for Star Wars. That way whatever set people own or choose to buy in the next five years, they can just insert it into the box. ;)

IF I get this se I'll look for the best deal possible. No plastic Yoda figurines or other trinkets, just the original movies.

Amazon.com offers the whole set for $53.61 (plus tax, but free shipping). That's far cheaper than ordering it from LucasArts/Film. Wal-Mart might sell them even cheaper (as they often do).

But buying them on the first day seems like a mistake. You'll have a full 80 days to purchase them, starting the 12th, if you really want to, and you know some will still be left over (if not to be sold in the bargain bin of stores, then on ebay surely).

That was some rant, Kurgan. Welcome to the rant club.:p

I was wondering what the difference between the Star Wars original theatrical releases and all of the VHS/Laserdisc releases trhough the 1995 VHS release (which I watched all the time)?

If it's basically just a clearer picture and the Episode IV A New Hope have been added then I wouldn't mind which version they put on DVD.

Well the original theatrical release lacked "Episode IV: A New Hope" and the crawl was arranged differently (and rebel was spelled lower case in the middle of a sentence, so it wasn't a "proper name" as it later became).

The crawl was adjusted in 1981 to more closely match ESB (so the words were also arranged to avoid putting one word on its own line).

You have to recall that the original Star Wars was re-released in theaters like five times before it finally came to home video (for purchase, the earliest release was rental only). The very first release was in mono. Later a stereo version was made and Aunt Beru's lines were redubbed by a different actress. The scene of Chewbacca growling at that mouse droid was removed. A few lines were switched around ("close the blast doors" was accidentally left out... right before "open the blast doors") and I think the line to Tarkin over the intercom while he's talking to Vader in the board room has an extra word and is by a different voice actor. The line from Threepio talking about how the tractor beam works is there and it isn't in some versions (I could be wrong, it may not have appeared until the home versions).

The Chewie growling at the mouse droid was added back either in the later theatrical re-releases or on the first home video releases, I can't remember, but it's been part of the movie for a long, long time, before the Special Editions.

Anyway, the 1995 re-release of the 1992 "Faces" (THX Enhanced Trilogy) is supposed to be "maximized visual and audio." It isn't truly a restoration, just good quality video tape and sharp picture. The sound HAS changed. The sound mix is different, and many of the lines change from how they were in theaters ("it's secure, move along to the next one"---->"door's locked, move along to the next one"; "don't worry... trust me"--->"don't worry, I can see a lot better"; "you're lucky you don't taste very good"--->"you were lucky to get out of there"). Not a big deal for many but to some folks those were their favorite lines and what they remember, so they miss 'em.

But other than the soundtrack, the visuals in the 1995 release are the same as previous widescreen letterbox releases. No CGI or deleted scenes were added or changed until the 1997 Special Editions.

There are several websites detailing the pre-1997 changes, and others detailing the 1997 changes (though most forget about the more subtle changes or the audio changes).

Actually the Official Site (StarWars.com) has put in a three part series of picture galleries about what has changed from the 1993 versions to the 2004 versions (although they leave out a lot of stuff, they mostly focus on subtle changes or some of the more obvious CG stuff, but very few of the gaffes and few of the sound changes, especially the more controversial ones).

Ah I see, you're trying to have "all versions."

Frankly, I think you only need one official DVD set to watch, and the rest can be fan edits or whatever, but each to his own! (I suppose collecting VHS tapes might have its own appeal)

1980's - There was one set really, in full frame and possibly wide screen. There certainly was on LaserDisk anyway. "Star Wars" exists in this era on VHS only, with the original opening crawl (in full frame only), a former rental, so any surviving tapes will be in pretty worn condition by now.

(so that's three LD movies and 1 VHS tape)

1992-1995 - This was the "THX Enhanced" series, all that changed really was the sound tracks, with some alternate lines and slightly tweaked music. The visual picture is supposed to be sharper, but it's really not a restoration of any kind.

(3 LD movies)

1997-2001- The Special Editions, as seen in theaters. RotJ SE differs from what you saw in theaters only that they forgot to include somebody in the credits, and now that's fixed. These were shamelessly re-released numerous times with nothing new except replacing the "behind the scenes" fluff about making the SE's with talking head/bluescreen-on-the-set fluff promoting Episode I or II.

(three LD movies, I would consider it a waste to get the others just for the fluff specials, which can be downloaded off the 'net for free, or just for any difference in covers)

Every VHS release (except the original "non-ANH" rental only full frame Star Wars) had a LaserDisk equivalent, so those would be the best quality. There were also VCD's (horrible quality, worse than VHS, and usually full frame only, no extras), Betamax, that soundless incomplete reel, and some other obscure formats, but that's basically it.

Then you have the 2004 DVD's.

(the 2004 Set is identical to the 2005 Set, except it has the fourth bonus disc, which you can buy seperately now anyway.. the 2005 set just has a differnet cover).

It remains to be seen what exactly they are, but the "new" 2006 set is supposed to be taking its masters from 1993.

"Star Wars" looks to be the circa 1981 version, with a computer re-created opening crawl pasted in at the start. No idea if the soundtrack is the THX one from the 1990's with the alternate lines or (more probably) the 1980's home video version (it certainly won't be the original theatrical mono track, since it's Dolby 2.0 only).

Empire and Jedi will either be identical to the 1980's video versions or the 1990's THX versions (I'm betting on the latter personally, but that's just a hunch).

If one was optimistic, one could imagine that these were the "restorations" before the CG was added for the Special Editions in 1997 (the films were restored once back then, the old fashioned way, without all that digital grain removal and color screwing up, before they decided to start adding new stuff and changing things.. originally Lucas merely planned to re-release the movies in theaters to generate interest for the prequels, not to modify his movies), but most people have resigned themselves to the fact that these are probably just dumps of the LaserDisc versions from 1993 (meaning the same as the "Faces" THX set, with the exception of Star Wars being artificially "de-ANHized" to simulate the 1977 theatrical version).

So nine Laser Disc packages (actually each movie was typically two discs, since you had to flip them to get the whole movie) and one hard to find VHS tape, OR six DVD's (the 2006 set will be sold as three two disc packs, the 2004 set is just one boxed set).

If you're collecting movies, rather than packaging, the 2006 set is all you really need, and you can get fan edits for alternate soundtracks, or you'll be spending a fortune (remember you need an LD player if you want to watch the LD's, a VCR to play the VHS tapes, etc).

If you just want them on your shelf though, for collecting, best of luck! ;)

There are a lot of them. Lucas has always been re-releasing his movies. If not in theaters, then on whatever format is hot at the time...

Well, I'm not interested in the prequel DVDs. I also have laserdisc rips(not sure which versions but I assume they're all the same cuts no matter which LD they are). Nor am I interested in VCDs because they'd be the same cuts as the others.

Anyway, these are the pics of the ones I do have:

a5_1.jpg

^1997 fullscreen Special Edition

88_1.jpg

^1997 widescreen Special Edition

5b_1.jpg

^top row - the only one I need is ESB from the 80s. Bottom row - I have this 1995 set but though it's not loose like this, I have the box set.

Do you think you could post the pics of the VHS versions I haven't posted that I need? It could help in my journey to complete my little collection.:)

Content wise, you've got them all (it seems to me). I'm not sure that you're missing any of the tapes (other than the ultra-rare former rental fullframe only "non-ANH" Star Wars tape). But try the collecting forum...

PS: Here is one I remember, but again, it's just a repackaging of the silver box you already posted.

trilogy.jpg (there was one just like it, but a white box, that was the pan 'n' scan version)

video.jpg

There were also carboard sleeves that held each version of the trilogies IIRC too, but again, just a box to put the tapes in you already have.

Later a stereo version was made and Aunt Beru's lines were redubbed by a different actress.
I've read about this, why exactly did they do this? Was their something wrong with the original's voice?

Oh, and by the way, although I don't agree with you Kurgan, you had a valid argument and I'm glad you presented it in a mature way as opposed to starting a flame war, and I think what I said was uncalled for, so I apologize.

Well you "need" the pre-1992 versions (From the 80's) because the lines were changed in the THX Faces set (1992-1995).

There really were two widescreen versions of the trilogy before the special editions in 1997. And a fourth version of the original Star Wars, which was a full frame rental only that had the original crawl.

Visually, all the pre-1997 editions are the same (except for the obvious widescreen/full frame distinction), with the exception of the ultra rare, full frame only ex-rental Star Wars with the original crawl (no "Episode IV: ANH").

The 1997 Special Edition was only ever officially released on VHS and LD (well and VCD).. never DVD. The 2004/2005/2006 (disc1) editions were only ever released on DVD.

So, to sum up:

1)"Star Wars" (former rental tape, probably too hard to find anyway, pointless except for the crawl, not widescreen)

2)A New Hope/

3)Empire Strikes Back/

4)Return of the Jedi. 1980's version. Widescreen.

5)A New Hope/

6)Empire Strikes Back/

7)Return of the Jedi. 1992-1995 THX set. released in different boxes, but the same as the "Faces" set in terms of content. Visually the same as before, just remastered audio and some different lines substituted.

8)A New Hope SE/

9)Empire Strikes Back SE/

10)Return of the Jedi SE. 1997 editions. re-released numerous times, always identical. only difference is the "bonus" content, either "Making of" for the Special Editions themselves, or Episode I/II fluff commercials

10 tapes (or LD packs)

DVDs:

1)Star Wars Limited Edition 2006

2)Empire Strikes Back Limited Edition 2006

3)Return of the Jedi 2006

(that's the only DVD set you "need". forget the 4 disc boxed set from 2004, forget the 2005 3 disc set, just get THIS, and if you really want to see 3 1/2 hours of "Empire of Dreams" --the rest is fluff and filler you can find on the 'net for free or isn't even related to the OT-- then get on Amazon.com or ebay and order the "Bonus Materials" disc 4 (with the big darth vader head on it) for $15 or less.

I don't think so. There was never any plan to do so.

The "fixed lightsabers" you saw in the commercial were from the "original versions" not the 2004's (of course since both are included on the set then you can view both, just not at the same time, unless you create your own fan edit). Trickery...

It's more surprising that websites reviewing the changes have not posted screenshots of the lightsabers to show just how badly they were done in the 2004 versions. But judging by the screenshots I HAVE seen, which depict lots of messed up colors in other scenes, it seems pretty clear that they didn't bother to fix the lightsabers either.

Sorry to say "I told you so" but we'll let people who actually have it comment...

The only thing "new" in this set is the opening crawl in Star Wars. Everything else we've seen (and heard) before (albeit on LaserDisc/VHS in the case of the originals).

Don't believe everything you see on TV. I just saw a clip on CBS that actually showed the old CG Jabba from 1997! That's not in there.

Still, it will be nice that more people will be buying the original versions (many of whom have never seen them). It's too bad that no effort was made to make them presentable, as the fans wanted. But, that said, they won't look any worse than LaserDisc, and certainly better than the VHS editions already out.

The "fixed lightsabers" you saw in the commercial were from the "original versions" not the 2004's (of course since both are included on the set then you can view both, just not at the same time, unless you create your own fan edit).
Yes, that's what I thought about too (also thinking these would just be the 2004 DVDs on the main disc), however, it was showing the scene with the lightsabers in front of the Emporer, which was what I considered the time the lightsabers were at their worst in any movie (except pre-2004 ANH), but the commercial wasn't one of the commercials advertising the original versions part, and all the other scenes in it looked like they were from the updated versions (and for that matter, the Emporer in the background looked as light as he does in the DVD version, because I think he used to look a lot darker, which was a problem considering lightsabers were right in front of him, but that could just be me).

Trust me, it hasn't been fixed. Did you know if you take the 2004 DVD, pop it into that scene and crank up the brightness on your TV enough, it will look like it should, with the two white cores merging together (instead of two colored rods cutting into each other with Vader's in front for some crazy reason)?

If your TV set's brightness is high enough it will look right. The trouble is then the rest of the movie will look too bright (in scenes of darkness you'll see the black bars since they will be not the same color as the black on the screen edges). The "Emperor's Slugs" in that scene will be obvious as well. Presumably in the 2004 edition they darkened it to make the slugs harder to see (rather than doing the proper thing and just digitally removing them), and in the process ruining the saber lock.

It could be deliberate fakery of course. Anyone with the set feel free to post the frame in question for a side by side comparison... but I don't think these have been touched, so that wouldn't be changed, despite what you saw in the commercials.

Archived