Home

"Unaltered" Original Trilogy Limited 2006 Edition DVD thread (still in stores!)

playloud

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know about the arrangement of what came in what or what all the boxes look like. There are websites out there (I don't have time to look for them now) that catalouge all the releases ever (some with pics some not).

About the widescreen releases in the 1980's, at first I thought no such thing existed (that the THX Enhanced were the first home releases of widescreen), but I have since felt that I was wrong to assume this. It may be though that the widescreen releases (before the THX Enhanced) were only released on LaserDisc, since that was the "movie buff" format and widescreen caught on as a standard much more quickly with that crowd.

I've read about this, why exactly did they do this? Was their something wrong with the original's voice?

Oh, and by the way, although I don't agree with you Kurgan, you had a valid argument and I'm glad you presented it in a mature way as opposed to starting a flame war, and I think what I said was uncalled for, so I apologize.

No problem. ;)

I'm not sure we know the real reason it was changed (merely because George wanted it changed). Supposedly he just "wasn't happy with" how it sounded, and chose an actress with a higher voice (perhaps he wanted her to sound more "feminine" and "less old" or something, who knows).

A ton of people had their voices redubbed for various reasons in the movie, but Beru's was one of the few that probably didn't need to be. But the fact that it was a change made so early on, makes it interesting to fans (especially those who don't realize changes were made before 1997 to the trilogy, a few people know about the 1981 crawl change but far fewer know about the changes from the Mono track to the stereo).

I have a question for anyone with them: How is the sound?

Specifically, in the "theatrical version" DVDs you have, how do the lines go?

Does Luke say to R2D2 (ESB) "You're lucky you don't taste very good" or does he say "You were lucky to get out of there" ?

Do the Stormtroopers say both "Close the Blast Doors" AND "Open the Blast Doors" in the scene in Star Wars where they are chasing Han and company through the corridors?

In the same movie, do the Stormtroopers, while looking for the doors in Mos Eisley say "the door's locked, move along to the next one" or "it's secure, move along to the next one"?

In the space battle over the Death Star, does Luke say "Blast it BIGGS where are you" or does he say "Blast it WEDGE where are you"?

In Return of the Jedi, when Han is about to shoot the tentacle wrapped around Lando's leg by the Sarlacc, does he say "Don't worry... trust me" or "Don't worry, I can see a lot better"?

Well, okay. But why would they want you to not see the Emporer's slugs? My guess is they just darkened them to make them look scarier... but aside from that, I knew everything you said (I read it in that post you made), but on a normal TV brightness the lightsabers should look right...

It's called a cheap quick fix. Instead of digitally removing them (they are just a quick and dirty fix to a costuming gaffe anyway), they just darken the scene. It's the same "quick fix" for the garbage mattes (the squares around the ships in space). Instead of digitally removing all of them, they just removed some and darkened the scenes to make it harder to see the others (but in the process, other details are lost, like for example many of the stars disappear because the background is too dark).

Actually, come to think of it, I've never heard of these... were they bad costumes or something? If they're going to digitally edit a whole new song for Sy Snootles, I'd think the very least they could do is just edit them to look more real... or are you saying they're real slugs that somehow got on the set?

I wasn't alive in 1977 (I was born a year later, so the first time I saw Star Wars was after it was called "A New Hope" in theaters).

However there are audio clips on the 'net you can listen to (captured from the original soundtrack, from the VHS rental, presumably).

Various fan edit DVDs have been made with the mono track as an option, too.

So yes, I have heard it. Not in its original context, but I've heard it. ;) Do a google search and you'll probably find the clips I'm talking about.

It's just a fan name for those black blobs that appear to be floating on the sides of Palpatine's hood in the ROTJ scenes where he's sitting on his throne talking to Luke. Apparently while they were filming, the light reflected off the corners of the mask Ian McDiarmand was wearing, or highlighted the un-madeup parts of his skin under the hood, so they noticed it at the last minute and either to save money or because they ran out of time (ROTJ was made the quickest of the three movies, in only a year) and just smudged some black over those areas, which didn't quite line up with his head as it moved so made it look like these creatures on his face. ;)

I never asked my parents, but I highly doubt it. I don't think we even had a TV back then. No problem. I'm running out of time to answer posts. ;)

You asked earlier (or in another thread) about Luke's blue lightsaber in ROTJ. It's still supposed to be a different one, because the hilt is different. Just that the blade was supposed to be blue (there were no green lightsabers before that, jedi used blue, and Darth Vader used red). It was changed allegedly for stylistic reasons (showed up better against the Tatooine background of brown/yellows).

I was alive in '77. I saw Star Wars (no ANH then for us...) 14 times in original release. A couple more times on re-release a few years later (before ESB) when they added all the 'Ep IV: ANH' stuff that made us all go "Huh?"

I don't really remember Beru's original voice. The ADR/ looping in that part is noticeably terrible though. You should be able to fix that with ProTools these days, but I guess it's not a priority. Not only does it not line up with her lips (which could be fixed with very careful time stretching of the samples) but the atmosphere around her voice is all wrong. Everyone else is in the room you see on screen... she's closed-miked in a foam-padded recording booth. Also an easy fix... if anyone cared to take the time to get the details right.

I did see the holiday special when it aired... but the only thing I really remember about it was the cartoon that Boba Fett appeared in.

You asked earlier (or in another thread) about Luke's blue lightsaber in ROTJ. It's still supposed to be a different one, because the hilt is different. Just that the blade was supposed to be blue (there were no green lightsabers before that, jedi used blue, and Darth Vader used red). It was changed allegedly for stylistic reasons (showed up better against the Tatooine background of brown/yellows).
Actually, I don't think I ever asked about that, but in one thread I put a picture of him with his blue lightsaber in an earlier RotJ, and in a more recent thread I posted pointing out his lightsaber looked oddly different in my ANH and ESB posters. Or maybe I did, but I just don't remember, but I know why they made it green and everything.

And about the holiday special, I got a bootlegged DVD of it at a comic convention, and I think some parts of it (not the whole thing though) are pretty underrated. It actually had a lot of funny jokes, and I think I may be the only person who ever noticed, but it was the only time during the OT's run on-screen there were Wookiees other than Chewbacca.

Okay, perhaps I got you confused with somone else, but in any case, the content of my post still was legit. ;)

The posters are no real gauge of how things really look in the final movie. Even the modern "posters" on the new DVD's are based on publicity stills enhanced with photoshop, not in-movie footage.

The SWHS is fun MST3K fodder, but that's about it. The first time I watched it I didn't think it was that horrible, but I guess people had made my expectations rock bottom with their horror stories. I did have fond memories of the "Wookiee Storybook" from my childhood, which I didn't realize, but was directly inspired by the Holiday Special.

And a lot of people saw bootlegs. In fact, unless your memory is razor sharp, you had to have seen it on a bootleg. Lucas himself supposedly claimed he wanted to trash every copy he could find because he was so embarrassed by it. Oh well. That was a different time and a different Lucas, I guess!

Some people still are asking for the thing to come out official on DVD, for old time's sake. Now that's fandom!

There is a certain nostalgia in there, for the 1970's TV culture and what we all thought would be a cool idea (and how it failed so spectacularly). It reminds people of when they were kids wanting Star Wars toys for Christmas. ;)

Let me get this straight. In order for me to get the original cut of Star Wars, I have to buy a second copy of what I allready own?

Yes. I comes with the theatrical version (the one you want), and the digitally-remastered verision (the one you have).

Though, if I may suggest what till next year since it is the 30th year anniversary of Star Wars and they are coming out with some more version. :)

^^^^^^^^

Lol... Next year they will have:

The 30th Anniversity of the Extra, Extra, Extra Enhanced version of the Star Wars Trilogy Saga. We made all new enhancements, and a few new surprises. Not only did we go back to the 2004 versions and cleaned them up, but we added never before seen footage. Now, you can watch the truely intended version of Star Wars.

New Enhancements:

-Jabba was replaced by a humanbeing.

-Princes Leia has been digitally enhanced. Now, everything is much larger.

-Chewbacca was replaced with an Ewok.

-Etc...

Lol...

I think they should make a Star Wars Holiday Special Edition (get it?), it would have more Wookiees in the background, Kashyyyk would actually be Kashyyyk from Episode III instead of Yavin with a green tint, the space battles would look much better, Luke's lightsaber hilt would actually be correct, the Episode IV flashbacks would be from the DVD edition, and fans everywhere would commit suicide and homocide. ;)

Yes. I comes with the theatrical version (the one you want), and the digitally-remastered verision (the one you have).

Though, if I may suggest what till next year since it is the 30th year anniversary of Star Wars and they are coming out with some more version. :)

Yeah, StarWars.com claims that this is the "first and only time" the theatrical versions of Star Wars are coming out on DVD.

Of course in Lucas-speak that may simply mean "the first and only time in this particular package as individual movies" to get around that. ;)

But who knows... according to rumor the 30th anniversary are going to be all tweaked out even more than before.

But, I'm sure there'll still be copies you can get used, the question is, will they be cheap? I already see $15 copies like-new (watched once) on Amazon.com shops. Seems a lot of people pre-ordered, watched the bonus disc and then put them up for sale!

Just an interesting note, the makers of Narnia: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe 4 disc set are offering a 10$ mail-in rebate for those who already purchased the previous version.

Now that's something you'd never see with a Star Wars DVD!

I just purchased them. I haven't watched them. But, they come out with the 2004 releases as far as I know, but I can check that soon.

Don't open it! Just sell 'em and get the new set instead. ;)

If you've already opened it, just watch the "bonus materials" disc and then sell the set. The new one has everything you already have, minus the bonus disc (which is mostly fluff anyway apart from the 3.5 hour documentary).

I may return it and I may keep it. Though, I only have 14 days from Tuesday to return it and then I may just sell it. Though, I wish they would announce what is coming out with this "30th Anniversary" set. Meh. I may just cough up some more money to get this set coming out next year.

Oh well. I am happy with what I have at the moment. Though now that I think about it I may just return them and re-purchase them on a later date, if I don't care for what is in the 30th anniversary set.

Archived